“Home away from Home”
Review of Second Home Cusco

Second Home Cusco
Ranked #6 of 398 Cusco B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This is a great B&B having stayed in a few.
Host Carlos makes your stay as comfortable as possible, from suggestions to overcoming altitude sickness to arranging short tours. Carlos provides a good breakfast to get the day off to a good start.
The rooms and art work are incredible.
If your going to stay in Cuzco this is a must

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ron255100

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed at Second Home in Cusco for 5 nights on our three days hiking trip on the 42 km Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. Second Home is located in hilly historical San Blas with narrow cobblestone streets, a plesant ten minutes walk, downhill, to Plaza de Armas in historical Cusco. Carlos, the B&B host, is fantastic. He arranged cab services, to and from airport, all complimentary. Breakfast is any time in the morning, Carlos and his assistant cooked us fresh eggs any style, served with freshly squeezed orange juice and warm local breads with jams, yogurt, and coca tea. Carlos even volunteered to call a doctor for my son-in-law when he had a bad reaction with an insect bite on the Inca Trail. The bed was very comfortable, the room is clean with free wi-fi, hot water was not as consistent as expected in our room, but no problem with hot water in the other room. Carlos stored our luggages in a safe place while we were on the Inca Trail. He reserved restaurants for us, and recommended a good one to try out roast guinea pig, a traditional Cusconian dish.

Room Tip: The house is not very sound proof, you will hear people talking at breakfast in the morning regardle...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 2CanadianTravellers
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Whether you are acclimating in Cusco prior to hiking the Inca Trail as we were or simply visiting this wonderful city for relaxation, this is your place. All of the previous accolades for Carlos are well deserved. Carlos goes out of his way to make your stay great, whether it be his tasty breakfasts, his restaurant recommendations, his arranging day trips for you or simply his great conversations. Need to leave at 5:00 AM to start your Inca trail trip? Have no fear, Carlos will be up with you preparing your breakfast. Second Home Cusco is comfortable and in the heart of Cusco convenient to the best restaurants,bars and the the Plaza. You will not regret your stay here.

As a side note, if you are staying any time in Lima, check out the sister B&B, Second Home Peru, which I will be reviewing separately. It is run by Carlos' sister.

Room Tip: The sun rises early in May. If early sunlight is a problem for you, you may want to avoid the skyli...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank CyclingGeo
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at Second Home and loved every minute. Carlos made sure that we never wanted for anything and gave us great advise on how to run our trip in Peru. Don't hesitate a minute to stay here. 5 stars

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline l
Reviewed May 16, 2014

When in the San Blas district, be sure to stay with Carlos in Second Home. He deserves the consistently high TA ratings because of his top-notch service and the comfy, clean and spacious rooms. Sadly, I got to enjoy it only for one night. I had an early flight out of Cusco the next morning and Carlos ensured that my cab was waiting at 4:15am.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed 5 nights at Second Home and loved every minute. The room was roomy and clean and the location was fantastic. Breakfast was simple and delicious. Carlos made sure that we never wanted for anything. Don't hesitate a minute to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank I'mPedro
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed at Second Home Cusco a couple of years ago with my cousin and just like the name suggests it truly was a home away from home. We received a warm welcome when we arrived and the owner was very helpful and available to help us everyday of our stay. The best thing about second home is that it has only 4 rooms and that allows for very personal attention given to their guests. Carlos made a few phone calls to get us answers to some questions we had about crossing into Bolivia. I am glad I did my research and booked this place and I want to go back someday and stay here again. I have been to many hotels and guest houses in the past but this is the only review I remembered to write years after my trip. I don't even remember the names of most places I have stayed at but this place was so perfect it just stuck with me.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the second floor before the Inca trail and a room on the first floor after th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends