Tripadvisor
Cusco

All reviews guide roger airport drop recommend booking planning process an unforgettable experience incredible job great guide exceeded expectations day trek rainbow mountain inca trail trip to machu picchu salt mines tour companies sacred valley walking tour javier
Selected filters
Reviewed May 24, 2019

I recently returned from my trip to Peru where I had a memorable and unforgettable experience as well as lifelong dream to visit the lost city of Machu Picchu. I booked my trip through First Step Expeditions. I have nothing but praise and gratitude for this incredible company that made this dream come true an experience I will always cherish and never forget. The professionalism, knowledgeable team @ First Step was the best choice I could have made My guide Roger Apaza was beyond AMAZING! His friendly demeanor and knowledge of the lost city and history of it made my experience beyond what I expected! The entire team that led me safely and confidently through the 4 day trek was first rate. From the chef, porters, and horseman that are part of the First Step Expedition TEAM MUCHISMAS GRACIAS!! You must experience this adventure.. it is beyond words.... I highly recommend FIRST STEP EXPEDITIONS for any future adventures in PERU.... again THANK YOU ROGER!! Now my good friend in PERU... I will return... Harold Gonzales aka “Joaquin” ...

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank Outsidecomfortzone
Reviewed May 11, 2019

Peru is not about sipping fancy drinks with little umbrellas. Its interactive, its cultural, its meeting some of the nicest people you will every meet. At times its exhausting yet exhilarating. It about stepping out of your comfort zone and pushing your boundaries. Our trip to Machu Picchu was about making a dream come true and it exceeded all my expectations. Funny enough, the journey on the Inca trail was the true reward with it's beautiful views and pushing me to see what was around the next corner. Reaching the end at Sun Gate was just the icing on the cake.

I wanted to book a trip to Peru for a Mother/Daughter trip. I was nervous just the two of us traveling alone and didn't know where to begin. It started simply by Googling Peru and First Step Expeditions appeared on the feed. I emailed them and honestly a couple of other companies . Blair responded almost immediately. She won me over with her details and ability to cater to our EPIC adventure. If I had questions she was always their to answer my questions. Every detail was taken care of from the picking us up and dropping us off at the airport, tours, permits, bus and Train tickets and other transportation. I told Blair type of hotel I wanted ...Done. The hotels were clean, the bedding was soft , the locations were central and I felt safe at all times. All I had to do was book an airline ticket to Peru.
We booked a city walking tour ( it was nice at the beginning to get orientated to Cusco), a Scared Valley Tour, 2d/1n trek to Machu Picchu and Rainbow mountain Palccoyo. It was a busy 8 days but left time for a little shopping.
The 1 one day Trek to Machu Picchu was perfect as we were short on time yet I wanted to experience the Inca Trail. The Hike itself has some tough parts but not crazy . A pole was useful...Medium trail is accurate.
The Journey was almost as impressive as the destination. It was a dream come true. I would recommend it over and over again.
We selected Rainbow Mountain Palccoyo at the end of our stay in Peru. Its a 3 hour trek once you arrive and about 3 hours to get there. I was nervous about altitude sickness as I had read about it in many of the blogs but we honestly did not have any issues except we winded more easily. The views were simply spectacular and some of the best pictures we took our whole time in Peru. Honestly it was just us and our guide for most of the trek . Dress warm, wear good boots if it has been wet on the mountain as the rocks may be slippery . It is chilly so dress appropriately and make sure you are in Peru a few days before you go due to the altitude . Our guide Roger told us Palccoyo was a hidden gem as it was not as busy as the more popular 6hr Vinicunca Trek. We loved Palccoyo.
The Scared valley was a fun day at the beginning or our adventure while you are still acclimating. We visited the Maras Salt Mines, Chincheros, Moray Terraces and the Sun Temple at Ollantaytambo. Roger told us the history of each site. Ollantaytambo was a fun little town. I would have enjoyed a extra day Ollantaytambo. There was even Lama's outside our hotel room. Great tour and highly recommended.
Finally, what can I say about Roger our guide and Edwin our driver (Commuting around Cusco is an Experience all in itself). They were So fun, Knowledgeable and Passionate about their Country. I didn't even have to open a car door.
I will be forever grateful for my experience in Peru. Thank you First Step Expeditions, Thank You Roger. You made me feel safe and gave me and my daughter a trip of a lifetime . Go to Peru!! Go with First Step Expeditions if you want a stress free adventure and can just enjoy... you won't be disappointed. Forever Grateful.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank NorthStar106133
Reviewed April 4, 2019

Me and my wife visited Peru last week and booked our 2D/1N Inca trail with First step expeditions. We had an amazing experience through and through!

The booking process was a breeze. Blaire provided excellent service and patiently answered all our questions throughout the process. She was very accessible and friendly.

We happened to be the only one who signed up for the hike on that day, so we ended up getting a private hike. Rosario was our tour guide and I don't have enough words to express my gratitude to him. This was meant to be a very special trip for us and he made sure that happened. I was afraid that our guide will rush us through the trip and not let us soak in the experience. But Rosario was extremely patient and let us move at our pace. He was a local and was very charming, knowledgable and clearly passionate about his culture. We got to learn a lot of things about the Inca culture & the topography from him. He proactively offered to take our pictures at various locations. It's very important to have a great guide, and his presence made our journey very satisfying & special.

Everything else was as advertised and it was great. The train journey, the huayna picchu hike & the hotel in Aguas Calintes were pre-booked for us.

To conclude, First Step Expeditions was excellent and I would highly recommend them! We were very excited about our visit to Machu Picchu and their service made sure that we had a unforgettable experience.

P.S. I have one advice for the travelers. I cannot stress how important it is to pack light. This hike is not easy and the lighter the backpack the easier it will be.

2  Thank 20vibhavs
Reviewed March 31, 2019

Our vacation was excellent. From Blaire's excellent customer service as I was planning this trip right to our airport drop off. She answered all of my questions and was very informative. Our trip was completely planned by them, from our airport pick up, booking hotels, all tickets purchased. We just showed up and enjoyed without a worry. Our trek was wonderful, challenging but very rewarding once complete. The porters that carried our things really touched our hearts with their hard work. The chef prepared the most delicious and beautiful foods. Our guide Silvio was informative and really fun. We had the best experience. Certainly, recommend that you check them out on your future visits to Peru.

Reviewed March 31, 2019

First Step Expeditions made our Choquequirao trek absolutely unforgettable. Roger and Blaire planned logistics to the T so that our group of four could get the most out of our four day trek. Our guide and new friend Roger was incredibly informative, fun and had an awesome sense of humor while making sure that we were fully taken care of. The food along the way was top notch and campsites were ready to go by the time we arrived each night thanks to an amazing team of horses and helpers. We can't speak highly enough of our experience with Rodger and First Step and would 100% recommend that anyone else considering a trek in Peru to use them without hesitation.