“Excellent treatment by the staff”
Review of Hostal Quipu Cusco

and 1 more site!
Hostal Quipu Cusco
Ranked #18 of 344 Cusco B&B and Inns
Eugene, Oregon
“Excellent treatment by the staff”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Our family of 4 (my husband, my 13 y.o. daughter, my 11 y.o. son, and I) stayed at the Hostal Quipu for a total of 5 nights before and after trekking to Machu Picchu. We chose it based on Tripadvisor recommendations and found them to be quite accurate. The owner, Lida, was extremely kind: when my daughter and I spent a day sick in bed, she asked my husband if we were alright, checked in on us to be sure, brought us bland foods she thought might be helpful, and offered to call a doctor. One of the office clerks woke at 4:30 one morning to let us out of the locked courtyard for our trek. This is not a fancy hotel, and it has no luxuries, but it has everything necessary to be comfortable. We paid $40/night for our family and received hot showers, continental breakfasts, warm blankets, clean accommodations, a pretty and secure courtyard, and a sense of safety away from the hustle and bustle of the city center. I'd return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife n i stayed here n enjoyed it thoroughly! The manager was so friendly n always keen for a chat n to offer advise even know we didn't speak Spanish. It was a short walk to the plaza di amas n had a real cusco feel. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2010
Venice, California
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed here two nights before our Inca Trail trek. The room was just great, clean, and with a decent bed and hot shower. The staff was very friendly as well.

So yes, that's all wonderful, but there were two issues that knocked down my rating:
1. It's a tiny bit far from most things in Cusco. It's an easy 10-15 minute walk to the Plaza, that's true, but with all the walking it might be nice to go back to your hotel in the afternoon and relax for a bit. It's a bit far out of the way for that kind of break in my opinion.

2. We booked an additional two nights for after our Inca Trail trek, but our reservation was somehow lost. Yes, they still held our baggage the whole time (securely too), and were very apologetic, but somehow our room was given away. After returning from Macchu Pichu at night, it's not something you want to deal with. What made the inconvenience worse, is that they moved us into another hotel ("same price!") which was really awful. At the hour, we didn't have much choice. Was it a bait and switch? I doubt it, but it certainly ugly.

My recommendation: Amaru Hostal

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Delhi, India
Reviewed August 3, 2011

lovely, comfortable rooms..hot showers..the staff were very friendly...breakfast was good too, with hot coffee, juice, bread, jam, butter. its also great value at about $25 a night.

its about a 20 min walk to the main plaza, but thats fine..we walked back at night too..there are loads of shops to buy little drinks and snacks etc and there are also loads of places to do laundry. they have a computer and free wifi and also clean the rooms and make the beds everyday!

they also have luggage storage so its easy to do the trips to the sacred valley or macchu picchu. would totally recommend to anyone going to cusco!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Trusting a lot in al the helpful Tripadvisor Reviews, we got really disappointed on this place. The first look at the stay in the Web looks nice, but if we got deeper into it, we got really disappointed.

Why?
- The Room we got had dirty walls
- Smelled like their stayed a smoker
- No daylight in our room
- Their is no pleasure to use the shared bathroom
- Their is not warm place (fireplace) in the whole building
- Internet works only from time to time (like the warm water too)
- The kitchen is dirty and better not tu use
- the location of this place is everything else than safe (as a police man told us)

We cannot believe how this place can get such a good rating? We strongly recommend to look for other places, as we did after the first night!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Tivoli, New York
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed in two different rooms there, one was fairly clean and nice, the other was terrible. The second room was not what we had reserved but it was somehow all they had left for our last night there. It seemed as if it had been a storage space for anything they were not using at the time. Breakfast and tea were great and the owners were wonderful and helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This was a great place to stay at for the week I was in Cuzco. My friend and I shared a rood and had our own bathroom, we payed $25/night between the both of us ($12.50/person). The rooms and bathroom was clean and comfortable to sleep in. Nice breakfast every morning (juice, tea and bread with jelly and butter). The staff was excellent, I can't say enough about how nice and helpful they were not only in making our stay at the hostel pleasant but also guiding us in the right direction for city tours,etc. My friend and I thought about going through an agency to do tours but opted against it. The lady that greeted us at airport was excellent in setting tours for us and prices that seemed fairly priced. The hostel itself was well kept and I felt safe the entire time I was there. I highly recommend this hostel!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends