“Definitely coming back!”

Ranked #70 of 404 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Melbourne, Australia
“Definitely coming back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed at The Point Cusco with two friends and would definitely recommend it to other travellers!

Location: The location of this hostel is great - it is within short walking distance to the main square, where you can find many restaurants, shops and travel agencies (to book one day tours, etc).

Room quality: I stayed with two friends in a 6-bed male and female dorm. The room was simple, as expected, but more importantly - the beds and floor were both clean. There are medium sized lockers for each person to place their belongings in (bring your own locks).

Atmosphere: This is definitely a party hostel and it is the perfect place to meet other travellers - there were always people hanging out at both the indoor and outdoor communal areas. The hostel organises events every evening and night (written on a black board at the front, where you can sign up). There is a bar upstairs (beer pong table included), which was busy and fun all three nights we were there.

Service: The staff are friendly enough, but would not necessarily go out of their way to be extra helpful. We had no complaints.

Other: Wifi connection is good. There are lockers next to the reception with power points inside them, so you can charge your phones/cameras without having to watch over them the whole time (bring your own locks). Some reviews have complained about the sleep quality they received - but we stayed at a room towards the back, near the outdoor area, and had no issues.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

OK, we stayed here as it was booked for us as part of a tour, not by choice. Our stay went as follows...
It took 3 staff 15 minutes to find our booking. Talking to others I think this is the rule rather than the exception. We were showed into 'charlies angels' room which was a typical 6 bed hostal dorm with people sleeping off hangovers.
After exploring Cusco (which is fab) we went back to try to get an early night as up early. The hostal was quite quiet until about 11pm...when the toga party started...and all hell broke loose! Music blaring until gone 2am, people walking in the bar upstairs might as well have been walking over our beds, smokers right outside our door so the place stank and the toilet over flowed.
The next morning the showers were freezing cold, the Internet didn't work (my husband got up at 5am as given up any hope of sleeping) and breakfast was basic.
The plus points? The location, it was clean, the bunk beds a good size, the staff were ok and the price - although we stayed in cusco again 2 nights later and had much better accommodation for a similar price.
I suppose this was just the wrong place for 2 30 somethings! If you want to party this place is probably heaven! Although I travelled extensively 10 years ago and did the hostal thing and I still think the noise in this place is something else!!
Avoid if want peace and quiet and better than ok service.

• Stayed April 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed in December 2010 @ this place and well it was worth the money.. I stayed here before and after hiking the inca trails .. You got lot of options to eat and get drun around ..I felt really safe.. they have a small room to leave your baggage in case you do not want to carry a lot for your adventure activities ..I came back after the trek and it was still safe.. I wouldnt ask for more for a dorm for 10$ ..It was worth it !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Stony Brook, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

They have internet...They have showers...They have a comfortable living room...and it's eight freaking dollars. Plus, I never once felt concerned I was going to be murdered. So yes, stay here. BUT for god's sake, don't eat the burgers across the street. I did so while suffering from a bad case of alcohol sickness and it made a bad night worse.

Also, one night a cat crawled into my bed. Well, no. He crawled into my room, I picked him up and put him in my bed. So that was a huge huge plus, if you like cats.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the cats.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed at the Point Hostel in Cusco on three consecutive weekends with groups of friends while volunteering an hour from Cusco. The Point is a great hostel for both solo travellers and groups. It is Australian run (nice to hear an Australian accent again!), and by the third weekend the girls at reception knew our names.

Plenty of rooms, however they are all dorms, the bathroom facilities are clean, three computers with fast internet and a great bar. A good menu too. The breakfast that is included is bread with jam and butter and coffee and tea, which was enough for us most mornings.

It is very much a party hostel, and you can hear the bar from most rooms. It might not be the best choice for people leaving early for treks as people come and go from the rooms through the night and you can hear music.

There is a travel agent onsight that can organise very affordable tours such as treks to machu picchu, rafting etc.

Like anywhere be careful of your belongings and lock the lockers as a friend lost her jacket (not sure whether it was stolen or misplaced).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

When I went travelling in Peru, the Point hostel in Cusco was my first stop- I was jetlagged, exhausted and alone... and I cannot think of anywhere I would have rather landed than the Point Hostel Cusco! The decor is fun and colourful, and doesnt try to be anything fancy. The bar is awesome and there's always something going on. The food at the bar is really good. The hostel sorted out taxis for me, and activities, and everyone is really friendly. My only advice would be that both times I stayed there, they didn't have my reservation (I had booked online). Seems that their online booking system is somewhat flawed. However, they gave me a bed each time- so as long as you turn up in good time, they always seem to sort it out for you. Stay here!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

Good points: it was centrally located and the décor was cool: hammocks in the garden, central TV area with big cushions, bar & food on site, free internet (limited number of computers), travel agent

Bad points: Really noisy. I was there off-peak but still really loud, bar plays music till about 2am which can be heard everywhere and is a ‘party’ hostel so people coming and going and shouting all night. I was doing a few trips where I had to be up first thing so I found this to be a definite problem! There were also a lot of people doing drugs around the hostel. Also booked a pick up from the airport which never came and the phone number they had given me didn’t work, but got a taxi fine.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo