“Best place in Cusco”

Granja Heidi
Ranked #59 of 732 Restaurants in Cusco
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: peruvian & international dishes, cooked with regional and healthy ingredients. We offer vegetarian, vegan and hypoallergenic diet (on special request). Special cakes and dairy products.
Lake Arrowhead, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best place in Cusco”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

this place has amazing food- everything is fresh and the salads are incredible! its very fairly priced and the service was great. Dont miss out! Also order the dessert!

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Pretty good food, exceptional service.”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My girlfriend and I read the reviews and decided to stop by the restaurant. Overall the atmosphere was great. We split a salad, a soup, and the main course. They were sweet enough to divide the soup and main course in half and served us our own bowls and portioned plates. The salad was delicious, as was the soup, though I wasn't nearly as impressed with the lamb. Don't get me wrong, it was quite good and tender and pretty much melted in our mouths, but the green sauce was coarse somehow and didn't complement the meat as much as one would hope. I admit, I am no expert in assessing food, so I'll conclude by saying it was an enjoyable meal overall. But here is the kicker: my girlfriend and I had admired some of the earthen ware mugs that their amazing herbal tea infusion was served in and we inquired about whether or not these were sold at the restaurant. They were. We ordered 6 complete sets and the owner (and staff) meticulously examined them for flaws and then proceeded to wrap each individual component (4 components per set) with newspaper and tape and then placed all of these into a cardboard box for safe transport. This entire process took over half an hour, and if this attention to detail is any indication how the owners run their kitchen and choose their ingredients then they have every reason to be proud of the business they have built. Each piece of pottery arrived in tact when I unwrapped them back in California. Thank you Granja Heidi. I wish you the very best!

• Visited June 2013
Columbia, Maryland, United States
“The Owner's Snobby Attitude Isn't Justified by the Blase Food”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I see a number of rave reviews about the food here. Frankly, mine was average--try Greens just off the square if you want to have something truly unique and delicious, or Jacks just a few steps away if you want a good deal. The owner made a huge deal about leaving the candle on the table, basically telling us he thought we were going to either get wax on his tables or set his menus on fire with the tiny candles and making the whole family feel like careless idiots.

My nine-year old daughter didn't want to eat the Andean cheese that came with the appetizer (though I do give the owner props for leaving the bread off the appy since my kids are gluten free), so he asked her, "What's the problem, it's not plastic cheese?" I had her list off a few of her favorite cheeses (manchego, smoked gouda, jack--she's had American cheese maybe once in her life), but he didn't seem to get the hint that he'd just thrown a petty stereotype her direction. IMHO, skip the attitude and look for a better place to eat.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Kenneth K
“Clean, Delicious, Healthy, Quality Ingredients, Highly Recommended.”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This place was for us a God-send when we found it. After having many horrible expensive meals in tourist restaurants around Cusco which far too often made at least one of us sick in the stomach Granja Heidi was a new try we were hopeful but suspicious of by that point. Thankfully what we found there was a very clean kitchen, fresh excellent ingredients and delicious meals and menu options including a decent vegetarian selection. Their home made cakes and desserts are absolutely wonderful. The owners are German and it shows - quality and cleanliness abound. I found the owners always friendly and easy going, and the atmosphere always pleasant and relaxed. It is said you can also always judge a restaurant by it's restroom and again, very clean and tidy.

Quality of service and food has always been consistent and we've been there a few times and it was always great and enjoyable. They never seem to tweak the food with high oil content or artificial flavourings but instead the food is enhanced with the simplicity and quality of ingredients and preparation, which is really a nice change and a testament to their understanding of real quality food and respect towards their customers.

Granja Heidi is definitely one of a few places in Cusco that is raising the standard of restaurant food in this popular city, and thank goodness for it!

• Visited May 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Like others I ate here a couple of times and would highly recommend.

I really like the ambiance, it was light, airy and clean. It was a really nice “oasis” for a meal. The set meal was very generous, tasty and therefore value for money.

The service was fantastic. On one occasion, my friend wasn’t well and the owner made suggestions as to what would be best for her to eat and had the chef made alterations to the soup to accommodate her needs.

The best food I had in Cusco.

• Visited May 2013