“Personal Service, Great Staff, and Great Location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Posada Del Abuelo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cusco
La Posada Del Abuelo
Ranked #122 of 339 Cusco B&B and Inns
Addison, Illinois
“Personal Service, Great Staff, and Great Location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

I was raised in Lima, Peru (but now live in the US) and had been to Cuzco about 13 years ago; a group of friends from the states and I decided to go to Cuzco; unfortunately not all of us stayed at the same place; but I wish they did.

La Posada del Abuelo is unassuming small front; it's easy to miss just walking by or driving by. I chose this place, cause the price was really reasonable; we booked the place for 3 nights, but only actually stayed 2 since we stayed in Ollantaytambo the night before going to Machu Picchu. Which was nice to have that room to leave most of our stuff, and just take the necessary to Machu Picchu.

The rooms were large, breakfast was decent - bread, fresh juice, butter, jams. Rosa Luz (the owner) and her staff can also make you eggs; as a matter of fact they ask you what you want. Breakfast is included in the price of the hotel which is really nice, and the window is pretty good; I believe it was from 6-9AM. When we got there the first morning, Rosa Luz was also very accomodating; she was able to check us in early as well as give us some coca tea (for the altitude sickness).

The place has free WiFi; which is always good.

As far as location goes, it is in a quiet and safe neighborhood (US Consulate is about a block and a half down from the hotel); walking distance from the Plaza de Armas which was our meeting point for a lot of our excursions and short car ride to the airport.

On the last night, my fiancee got sick and we had to take her to the clinic which was conveniently across the street from the hotel. Her staff even though it was late at night was able to help me coordinate multiple things, as we were not sure if we were going to be able to make the flight the next day. They even ordered food for us to the hotel late at night. The next morning Rosa Luz showed true concern for my fiancee and was able to give me some tips, not only that but she told me not to worry about the 8AM check-out (which would've been fine with no sickness) and she allowed us to keep the room until our ride to the airport showed up for no extra charge and was attentive to any need we had. I couldn't thank her enough.

Ultimately, this is obviously not the Ritz; but the rooms are large, the location is great and overall the staff and the owner makes this place. The personal attention and really great service and pride in what they do is what would make me definitely stay at this hotel again and I would recommend it to anybody that asks.

Sidenote; Myself and another buddy on the trip were the only Spanish speakers out of a group of 8; if we weren't there there might have been a language barrier; but sometimes that just makes the trip a bit more interesting and fun.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Burlingame, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

We are a family of 4 that stayed at La Posada del Abuelo for 3 nights. We had two rooms. Our plane arrived early on Saturday morning. We were greeted at the airport by a driver with a sign having all our names. We felt safe.
We arrived at La Posada del Abuelo at ~10am. We were immediately and graciously served coca tea to help us adjust to the altitude. After a long flight, it was so nice to just sit, relax and sip tea.
Even though check in is usually not until later in the day, we were allowed to enter our rooms. Again, very, very nice after a long 17+ hr flight. It allowed us to rest a little before exploring the city. I had signed up for 2 twin bed rooms but once they saw my husband and I, we were given a room with 1 queen and full beds. Our college age children had their own room with 2 twin beds.The rooms were clean and spacious.
After several days of our stay in Cusco, we quickly learned that plumbing system is less than adequate throughout the city. Everywhere you go you are asked to put your toilet paper in a garbage can vs flushing down. Even the best restaurants make the same request via signage in their bathrooms.
The service from the staff was fabulous. Rosa Luz was incredibly helpful. While she only speaks Spanish, it wasn't a problem as she would immediately call or bring someone in that could speak English with us. My Spanish is a bit broken, but my children did quite well. In fact, they loved the opportunity to practice their Spanish. Everyone was willing to teach us. Rosa Luz even helped us navigate logistics with our tour guide for our Machu Picchu hike.
The breakfast were fair, but a nice start. It was your typical eggs (scrambled), bread, fresh squeezed juice, coffee, cereal (Peruvian), milk, butter and jam.
Yes, it is a 15-20 walk from the Plaza de Armas, but it is basically flat. The walk is a nice way to see other parts of Cusco. Taxis are readily available and inexpensive. We had no problem with honesty of drivers. Have them show you their tourist or government id to add a sense of safety.
After our visit to Machu Picchu, we stayed at their sister B&B, Second Home Cusco (see review on that site). It's located in the San Blas area. We wanted to stay in another region of Cusco to experience the flavor of that area. It worked out beautifully as our bags were transferred to and stored at Second Home Cusco for our 3 day trip to Machu Picchu/Aguas Calientes. This allowed us to take only daypacks to MP. We did the 2day/1night Inca Trail hike so needed carry only the bare minimum.
We had absolutely no problems with the security and safety of our possessions.
La Posada del Abuelo is a great place to stay if you are on a budget.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

La Posada Del Abuelo was the first hotel my family and I stayed at in Cusco, and it was a wonderful introduction to our trip in Peru.

We were graciously picked up from the airport and taken to the B&B. And once we got there, the manager, Los Luz, provided us with warm cups of Coca tea. In addition to coca tea's cultural importance and high altitude-acclimatizing effects (something you definitely need if you'll be adjusting to Cusco's 3399km altitude) just having that tea after 20+ hours of flight travel was refreshing to say the least.

La Posada Del Abuelo has all of the wonderful amenities you'd expected from a bed and breakfast: clean rooms, comfortable beds, hot showers, televisions, delicious breakfasts, etc.

And what made this hotel truly amazing was the wonderful and inviting staff. The manager during our stay, Los Luz, provided more than enough help for my family and I. She made a real effort to make sure that our first few days in Cusco went smoothly. I must note, though, that she only spoke Spanish. However I only have very limited knowledge of the Spanish language (just 2 years of high school Spanish), and we were able to communicate together well enough.

I'd say that the only downside to this wonderful B&B is that it is a 10 minute walk from the center of the city, which can be a bit far for some of the older members of my family. However, the B&B is right near Cusco's Av. El Sol (a lively street in Cusco where you can get a true sense of how the locals live) and for those shopoholics like my sister and mother, the B&B is a 2 minutes walk away from an artisan's market ("Centro Artesenal"), which is on Av. Tilumayu (just a block away).

If you're looking for a simple yet charming bed and breakfast with wonderful staff then definitely book here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
new york city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

My sister and I stayed at Posada del Abuelo 5 nights (12/30/11-1/3/12). The rooms were very large, with TV/wifi, spacious closets, security safe, and are well designed. I would not recommend the room we stayed in (#16) for longer than a night or two, since the room does not have a window, but we felt it was alright, since we spent most time outside anyway. The bathrooms are large with ample hot water and clean towels. The staff was very helpful and kind: present around the clock, they booked us a taxi to the airport, and gave us a complementary heater upon request, for no fee. When my sister fell sick, they even cooked us tea at midnight. I only wish they spoke English, but with the little Spanish I know, I managed to get many useful tips from them (where to find vans to Pisac and Ollanta, as well as closest pharmacy). The breakfast was similar to other places on the trip (bread, jam, teas, coffee, butter, eggs), but we did not expect more for $55 per night. The only drawback is the relative distance from Plaza de Armas (about 20 min walk), but if you are alright with this, then I recommend PdA by all means.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
toronto, ON
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Never in my years of writing on tripadvisor have I had to write a review like this one (see my list of hotels reviewed). I caution anyone from staying at this hotel. I pride mysel on being a savvy traveler - along with my husband. We expected that if we put our money and valuables in the safe in our room that we would not have a problem. Unfortunately, staff working at the hotel stole an important sum of our funds left in the safe (including Cdn money and air miles cards, go figure!).

I think what peeves me off most is that I liked the staff persons and tipped them well when we stayed there, and then to learn one night that they stole from us, was quite stressful. The owner Carlos (Pervian diaspora) was kind enough to listen to me and my experience. He asked that I document and send an email to him - to this day no response from him or others. What worries me is that the thieves working at the hotel appear nice but are taking small things and funds from you. They wont steal everything but they will take some of your money and other random things.

It is too bad that the owners have failed to take action. I am still hopeful that they can redeem themselves, and if not, then I would advise travelers to beware of your items and belongings because they are NOT safe at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

So I got ill in Cusco and the owner of the Hostal really looked after me and even made me chicken soup! The rooms are a great size and even have a TV! The location is about 10 minutes from the square walking. But that means there's less people to bug you about massages when you first wake up in the morning!

• Stayed November 2011
Lima, Peru
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

We stayed here as a part of a group tour before and after doing the Inca Trail. Frankly, I struggle to reconcile the reports here with our experiences. The owner, Rosaluz, was unbelievably rude to myself, my roommate and other members of our group. Upon our return from the trek, our toilet blocked, and when we reported it in the morning, Rosaluz was extremely aggressive and unpleasant, blaming us for it, despite the fact we'd returned to this problem. She accused us of fllushing the toilet paper (the plumbing can't handle it, and we were well aware of this and hadn't done so) and then accused us of lying when we explained that we hadn't done so. In addition to her unpleasantness, there was very little assistance to work around the non-functioning toilet, with our request to move to another room denied.

There were numerous other smaller problems during our stay - a lack of basic housekeeping at times, for example, which resulted in us having to wake up the caretaker at night for toilet paper. In accordance with the standard hotel towel policy (posted in 3 languages in the bathroom), we left our towels on the floor to be replaced, and on more than one occasion we found the same damp and dirty towels hung up to be reused.

Finally, the breakfast was borderline inedible, with some hard bread and semi-stale cereal provided. This could have been tolerated, however, if Rosaluz hadn't started cooking an egg for herself while we were eating - it's very difficult to start the day with stale bread when the smell of fried egg is in the air! It's fine for the owner to have something different to the guests for breakfast, but its a bit of a slap in the face to have the 'host' cook something that the guests aren't permitted. To a lesser extent this happened on other occasions, such as our final day when she was eating an avocado with her breakfast whilst we had only the single spread on offer (jam).

There were some positives to this place, although this is mainly a whinge! The location is a reasonable walk from the downtown/cathedral area and just one block back from the main road, El Sol. The laundry service was quite good, and ther young man on staff (?Carlos) was polite and tried to be helpful. The beds were reasonable but the pillows were too big and uncomfortable. Hot showers after the Inca trail were a godsend! There is wifi, however it was almost unusable due to frequent drop-outs.

I understand that our tour company have had a number of issues here before, and we have reflected our unhappiness in both this review and our tour feedback. I would certainly recommend looking elsewhere if you are coming to Cusco.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends