“Friendly and helpful!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Panza del Artista

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cusco
Panza del Artista
Ranked #159 of 339 Cusco B&B and Inns
Zurich
“Friendly and helpful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2009

Adam was a great help when we had to cancel our reservation due to a double booking. Unfortunately we couldn't stay at the Panza del Artista but their flexibility and friendliness in our communcations needs to be mentioned.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

I spent my time in Peru alone and Panza del Artista was a home away from home. The family made me feel very welcomed and even invited me to the wedding of their daughter. I did not speak any spanish and they spoke almost no english but we had a terrific time. The rooms are large and a delicious breakfast was served every morning. The next time I go to Peru I will be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

I just returned from two weeks in Peru and one of the highlights was my stay at Panza del Artista. after we arrived and got settled in Angela took us to the local market a 10 minute walk from the B and B. we shopped for specific foods as she was going to teach us to cook a classic Peruvian dish. we had such a great time in the market but the real fun was cooking back at the house. We drank beer and learned how to make Aji de Gallina. We had loads of laughs and it was all followed by sitting down with our host family to enjoy a truly delicious meal. It could not have been better. and each mornign there was an outstanding line up of food on the buffet for us to choose from. there is no better way to spend your time in Cusco than with this lovely family in their gorgeous home. plenty of privacy, hot water and good sleep was had as well.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

I recently brought a group of twelve college students to Peru. When in Cusco and the surrounding region, we based ourselves at the Panza del Artista. We had a wonderful stay and I can't recommend it highly enough. Here are the highlights of my recommendation:
1. Location: Having stayed in San Blas before which has become a tourist haven, I was very eager for our group to stay at the Panza. It's located in Santiago, a real slice of Cusco, with candle makers, arcades, and barber shops on the surrounding streets. It's not a far walk to the Plaza de Armas and if you're out late, it's just a quick $1.50 cab ride back.
2. The family that runs the Panza. These guys are great! Super friendly and attentive. Their breakfast was great with amazing freshly made juice. When one of my students came down with a bug, the mother made chicken soup for him. Just what the doctor ordered! And when another student's camera broke, the family father, Carlos, offered to try and fix it, which he did! They'll wash your clothes too for less than what other places in Cusco charge. It helps to know some Spanish, but even if you just have the basics "gracias", "buenas dias", etc. you'll communicate fine. The family has such a good personable attitude with their guests.

3. Our group stayed five nights at the Panza and on our final night there, the family lit up the fire pits and we had a party in the Panza's garden. By the time we left, we felt like it was home!

• Stayed June 2009
Albuquerque
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

This is a difficult review for me because my wife and I wanted to like this place. The family running it is very nice. We booked two rooms, one for me and my wife, and one for our two boys. However, we had to leave after one night, for the following reasons:

1. The family only spoke Spanish. We don't. This is fine if you know what you're getting, however, during all my emails with Adam, who is American, there was no indication that it was a Spanish only B&B (Adam lives in US). We were picked up in the evening by Dante (very nice) at San Pedro train station and driven through a questionable area of town at night. Because of my wife and children, and the fact I really could not communicate with Dante, it made me uncomfortable. In Adam's defense, he states that the neighborhood is safe.

2. The rooms are not as advertised. If you view the website, it gives an appearance of newer rooms and bathrooms. The bathroom shown on the website did not appear like anything we had in our two rooms. Our bathrooms were tiny with old fixtures, and felt dirty. The beds were saggy and the room had a musty smell. Not a place you would want to linger in. I agree with fishbowl's review, the main house is very nice, why not the rooms guests sleep in ?

3. The website gives the appearance of though being off the tourist path it is a short walk to the main plaza (Plaza de Arms), and quiet. It was loud with trains running, etc. They do supply earplugs. But they should correct their website, because it is at least a 20 minute walk to the Plaza (not 10).

I talked with Adam and he refunded our money. I think the place has potential due to the nice family living there. It is a colorful neighborhood, and the traditional market nearby was interesting when we drove past it in the daylight. But I think it needs to be clearly communicated that it really is a Spanish-only B&B.

The major thing is the two rooms we had. They need to be updated (again, equivalent to the main house). If they did that, and coupled with the family and activities they advertise, it would be worth the $60 a night. Until then, I can't recommend it and travellers can find better accomodations for the same rate, and excellent accomodations (see my review of Rumi Punku) for $90 a night.

Mike

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PanzaCusco, Owner at Panza del Artista, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
Thank you Mike for your thoughts. I would like to mention a few things with respect to your comments...

Our website is hand-made: all the images on it are made by me and our own B&B is what we show. I do not show every bathroom nor every aspect of our B&B as that would be cumbersome to navigate: the images on our website are our rooms and our atmosphere, I made them myself. We do not even advertise the family home as that is not what we want people to expect, even though it is a wonderful place (as you noted) and where we serve our wonderful breakfasts.

My manager and brother-in-law Dante said your wife spoke very good Spanish...I'm not sure why it was so difficult for your wife to communicate with you. Many other folks who stay with us don't speak Spanish and are impressed at how a little effort can really create amazing warmth and wonderful experiences, both for my family and our guests.

And finally, it is a 10 minute walk to the main plaza...I do it every day I'm in Cusco. If you're new to the neighborhood or adjusting to altitude, I recommend taking even more than the 20 minutes you took -it is a wonderfully active, vibrant and real view on life in Cusco, unlike San Blas or the Plaza area. We are authentic and safe, unlike many other areas of the city; especially for being so close to the center!

I am sorry your expectations where not what you had set up for your family. It seems there was some mis-communication beyond our efforts to promote our place as a real face of Cusco not in the tourist-center. We greatly look forward to continuing to upgrade and improve every aspect of our services in creating a wholly unique and comfortable environment for those looking to experience Cusco in a open, safe and warm family atmosphere.

Thank you for your time, Adam W.
new york city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

Panza del Artista is such a warm and inviting place to stay while in Cusco. The family that runs the b+b is loving, beautiful and kind and will do whatever they can to make you feel at home. The location is perfect - away from the hub-bub of central Cusco, but just a quick walk away. The rooms are clean and well kept, and it's a tranquil and delightful place to rest after an exciting day running around the city or the neighboring towns and ruins. Highly recommended.

Stayed June 2009
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2009

I was referred to Panza Del Artista by a friend, and stayed there several nights as part of a trip to Machu Picchu. If you're planning a trip to Peru with a stop in Cusco, I highly recommend you check out their web site, [--]. These guys have gone way beyond what most do to provide great info on what to do, see, which guides to select, where to eat, and they know what they are talking about.
The rooms were great, and the family who runs the place is extremely nice. They really took care of us.
I highly recommend staying there and talking to one of the owners, Adam, who has obviously lots of experience traveling through this country and can help you with your planning.
Check it out!