“Nice Breakfast and Satellite TV” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Prisma Hotel
Ranked #91 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
Toronto, Canada
“Nice Breakfast and Satellite TV”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

The location is not the greatest but that is a given when traveling with a tour group. The hotel does offer a nice buffet breakfast to start your day. The cleaning staff is a bit oblivious because vacuuming would start at 5am when guests are still trying to sleep. There is hot water for showers which may be a concern in Cusco. I enjoyed the satellite television after a long day in the sun and altitude. There are also 2 public computers with internet access with associated line ups.

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank jenmito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Ronneby, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

Stayed in this hotel on two occasions. The first time we got a room facing the atrium and that was a very nice room, The second time we got a very large room facing the street outside, and there was a big difference in these two rooms. If you get a room on the third floor or higher (no elevator) you'll most likely get a good view, Lower floors and you'll be looking into a wall. The staff is friendly and you can store your luggage at the hotels storage a couple of nights without cost. The breakfast is a little from day to day in standard, but keeps a normal Peruvian standard meaning no extravaganza. Hot water 24h/day. No safe in the room, but they have a safe in the reception in which you can store your valuables if you dare. A small gift shop as well as a small bar are in the lobby - so are the internet computers. WiFi is available from the lobby and maybe 2 floors up if you have the "right room". 15-20 min walking to the main square. Some dark alleys close to the hotel, but the fastest way to the main square is well populated with fellow walkers, so it felt safe all the time.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dgjohansson
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

We stayed here before and after the GAP Inca Trail trip in May 2009. The hotel is very conveniently located within easy walking distance of everything. Our room was on the 4th floor and was one of those that faced inwards into the atrium - because of this it was very noisy at all hours throughout each night (many groups celebrate their completion of the Inca Trail). We had to get up and yell over the balcony for people to be quiet! After hours there is only the doorman on the premises and so no control over rowdy people. That said, the other rooms that face outwards are probably not noisy at all (we had the misfortune to be assigned the same room at both ends of the trip despite asking for a different room) and some have pretty little patios that open up with a view over the Cusco rooftops. The bathroom was a good size and buying water was not that much of a chore - there is a small store in the same block. We ate breakfast at the restaurant and one supper and found it OK (& did not get yelled at for going up for 2nd helpings). The only other downside of this hotel is that 2 of the members of our GAP team had their daypacks with passports, cameras, credit cards etc. stolen from their LOCKED room. When told about this, the hotel management did not seem to offer much assistance to them, only telling them that there is a disclaimer on the door stating that the hotel is not responsible for valuables. So be sure to take all items with you when you go out (we didn't but I guess that we were just lucky).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trubrit7
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

Our group of 4 stayed at the Prisma before and after our Inca Trail trek as part of a GAP trip. Beds were rock hard - I was more comfortable sleeping on the thermarest on the Inca trail. No bottled water in the room to drink or brush teeth with so we had to go back out of the hotel at 9pm to buy water! The breakfast was typical Andean/European style but be sure you get everything you want in your first visit to the buffet, otherwise the waiter will give you heck. I wasn't feeling too well our first morning so only had a cup of tea. Felt a bit better after the tea so decided to go back up and get some fruit and bread...ooops! big Mistake. Got yelled at in spanish by the waiter - something about "one breakfast only!" and multiple visits aren't allowed - even for coffee or tea refills. Rooms were quiet, showers and water pressure were typical developing/third world and we used the free internet so can't complain too much. We had no choice but to stay at Prisma since it was part of the GAP trip but if I was to book a hotel myself - I would pay the extra and book something a bit classier.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank scubamom33
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

We stayed at the Prisma hotel from April 7-10 and again from the 14-17. The common areas of the hotel are very nice. The whole hotel is kept very clean. The rooms are basic but then we didn't spend much time in them. The location is excellent. The breakfast, which is included, is good. For what you are paying for a hotel you can't beat it.
It is the people that work at the hotel, however, which make it stand out. Rafael, who we assume to be the manager, went above and beyond at all times. He was quick to help carry things if i appeared to be carrying quite a load. He made arrangements for our taxi to the airport the night before. When my son dropped his ipod in the cab to the airport he went out of his way to call the taxi company, locate the driver and arrange for it to be brought to the airport for us. We cannot say enough about the service we received during our stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelers4Alberta
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

I would recommend this hotel if you just needed a place to sleep for a night or 2. It's not a hotel you'll want to spend too much time in. My first night after my Machu Picchu trek, I thought I could get a hot shower at the Prisma Hotel, but unfortunately by 10 pm, the water was lukewarm. It's definitely no frills, but for US $50, I thought it was a good value and good location.

I mainly communicated with the hotel via email before my trip. I kept changing my mind about dates I wanted to stay since we were still debating whether to go to Lake Titicaca after MP. I had changed the dates again once arriving in Cusco and talking to them on the phone. When checking in and out, it looked like they referenced old emails to confirm the dates of my stay. This caused some confusion, but they made a call to my main email/phone contact person and there were no problems.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

As part of a larger trip with G.A.P. Adventures, my group spent one night at the Prisma upon arrival in Cusco, and one night there after we finished our trek on the Inca Trail. It was a nice place--nothing out-of-this-world, but just right for our purposes. Here are my impressions:

-clean common areas and individual rooms
-rooms are a decent size
-rooms are equipped with heaters and TVs with cable (including many english speaking stations), plus 2-3 electric outlets
-the showers didn't seem to run out of hot water (a must when you're traveling with a large group returning from 4 days on the trail!)
-the front desk staff were helpful, and some spoke english
-breakfast buffet was decent (although I'm not sure of the value, since it was included with my tour)
-front desk provides hair driers free of charge, you just have to ask
-hotel is in a safe area (I believe the doorman was there 24 hours; he was there at 3 am, anyway!), about a 8-10 minute walk from the main city square
-gift shop actually has a lot of nice items priced competitively compared to the other shops I visited in Cusco
-rooms on lower floors were a bit noisy, especially early in the morning

• Liked — friendly staff and great location
  • Disliked — noisy in the mornings
  • Stayed August 2008