“Good hotel, nice building, delicious breakfasts”
Review of Hotel Casona Solar

Hotel Casona Solar
Ranked #2 of 181 Arequipa B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed 4 nights in this hotel as a family of 4. Friendly place, well organised and good atmosphere. Rooms are spacious (we stayed twice so tried a total of 4 rooms - all very different but all big!). Good showers, nice courtyard and garden.

Breakfasts were delicious, with real coffee, freshly made fruit juices (varies by day), fruit bowl - 5 or 6 choices, yoghurts, cheese, ham, bread, rolls, eggs, cereals...plenty choice for my fussy family!

I recommend this place and it would be my first choice if staying in Arequipa again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Very nice plays that breaths a family home. The staff in group having breakfast after all the guest had left for the day, the daughter of the owners even attending me in Dutch, the receptionists and barmen really nice, it were all little elements in an overall warming atmosphere. In Perú this was truly a hotel where I felt at home. It is true that some services seem a bit overcharged (airport shuttle for $12, paid-for-WiFi isn't really 21st century), on the other hand, the room rate is more than reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel was an old colonial house that belong to one of the president of Peru. Take attention to the ceiling paints on the living area. Rooms are nice and cleans. ZThe hotel is loaded with details. Need to walk 4 block to be in the plaza mayor.... the center of arequipa... nice place to visit. They do not have parking... need to park 6 block form the place.

Room Tip: On the back of the house the rooms are better.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank algy f
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I am peruvian and went to Arequipa with my South African husband, I was looking forward to show him the town of my grandfather. I was in love with this 300 year old house,and it is as you see in the web, it is true,the place is lovely,clean, and spotless, a colonial house in excelent conditions.Breakfast is nice, fruits, ham, cheese and fresh bread. Room 108 is a double store room, have the bed upstairs and downstairs a lounge and bathroom, with a window that faces the beautiful patio, I was very happy with the room, but after 2 nights asked to be moved due to a damp smell from the roof, maybe after the rainy season they had remains of water there, so when we returned from Colca they put us in room 116 big mistake! this room has no windows! Not even one in the bathroom, so it was a cave room, very dark, anyway as it was only for one night we didnt want to complain.
My big issue with this hotel is: I asked them to send me a taxi to fetch us from the "Terra Puerto" the bus station, I was coming in Cruz del Sur from Ica and the bus arrived one hour late, so I assumed , they would kindly call the station to re check the arrival time and let the driver know. Even that driver is an outside service.They didnt, and the driver didnt, I didnt have a cell phone to call them, so he left, big surprise when I arrive to the station, no one was there, so I called them, they told me that he left and they would charge me 30 soles anyway..I felt bad, I didnt even arrive and the situation was unconfortable,I think they must call and check, like an airport, so why they call the place Terra Puerto??? I was in shock, after this I took a nice taxi in the door of the station for 6 soles, yes 6 soles!! so this people was charging me 500% more??? rip off!! Dont be greedy!! they charge more in everything, you want laundry? 9 soles kilo, outside the hotel 3 soles, but to finish with my bad feeling: the last day I wanted to check out late, so the lady said it is 35 % of the tariff, ok I said, cool no problem. My bus leaves at 8pm so I will be checking out at 6;30pm. Then when I asked for the bill they wanted to charged me 50% ,I was till this point sick of this people, and having arguments with my husband in our holiday due to the greedy attitude,because I get very irritated, being peruvian I want nobody to rip off the tourist in my country, and I like things clear. At the end of the day they charged me 35% as we arranged before, but after discussing> My conclusion is : why you have to ruin your mood going to places like this? I felt so unconfortable, and would never go back to this place, to have a nice patio, a nice house, flowers, location is not enough, service and decency is number 1 for me.
I booked the excursion to Colca with them, Casa Andina Hotel, of course they knew we were a couple, big surprise, Casa Andina gave us a triple room, they didnt say COUPLE.
Anyway I hope they stop seeing tourist as lemons to squeeze, and have decency, sometimes you have to loose 30 soles in order to keep the good image of your place,
Kind Regards Rocio de Romaña

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Rocio96
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear Rocio,

Thank you for taking some time to write a review about our hotel! Also good to hear that that you liked the town of your grandfather! To stay in a place that was already there when your grandfather still lived in Arequipa must have been a nice experience.

Let’s go now to the buts! To start with I think it is a missed opportunity that you did not complain during you stay at our hotel. Because it´s easy to solve service issues at the moment there are happing. Ones you leave I cannot change anything anymore!
I checked the rooms 109 where you stayed the first 2 nights. I could not encounter any humidity but our hotel is build out of sillar. Sillar is a whitish volcanic stone from which many colonial buildings in the city of Arequipa, Peru, are made of. This is also de reason why Arequipa and our hotel are on the world heritage list of UNESCO. This stones sometimes produce some dust that can give a dry sensation in your nose.

Your claim that room 116 has no windows is not correct. There is a big window above the door and a small window in the top of the arch. Remember that Hotel Casona Solar is a monument and we are not allowed to change the architecture of the building!! Also remember that in a desert zone like Arequipa the people in the 17th and 18th century avoided direct light coming in their houses by building windows in a angle.

I suppose that you travelled a lot. Services booked though hotels and travel agencies always have a different price than services booked on the spot. If I as a hotel sent a driver to pick you up waiting for you 1,5 hours that has a different price then a taxi driver hanging around the bus station just picking up anybody! That’s the same for laundry and other services booked though hotels.

About the late checkout I can only say sorry. We changed late check-out policies recently from 35% to 50% of the room price but not everybody working in the reception was informed yet.

Al together I hope you had a good time in Peru en in our hotel and all comments, good or bad, help us to make our service better every day.

The management

Reviewed May 28, 2012

VERY friendly and helpful staff, a variety of fascinating rooms (including an upstairs triple with a kitchenette), arrangements for airport transportation/taxis and laundry service (at least a day's notice). Nice small breakfast buffet, low-cost Internet access, lovely patio entry and a peaceful garden with huge succulents.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We staid for two nights at the casona solar. The hotel is situated in a beautiful authentic spanish collonial building with two court yards, 3 minutes from plaza de armas. Rooms are big and comfortable, breakfast is good en the hotel staff is friendly and helpfull. Making it one of nicest hotels we staid in in Peru.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank 120Sebastian1977
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I was stunned when I saw our room in this old mansion from the colonial era. Everything about it was wonderful--very large, domed brick ceiling, comfy bed with good linens, very tasty breakfast with exotic fruit. The garden is large and perfectly tended--not a dead flower or leaf anywhere. I'd love to stay there again, and much longer this time. The staff are very helpful too. They bought our bus tickets for us when the bus web site wouldn't take our credit card.

Stayed: March 2012