“Close to downtown, but not too close”

Casa de Avila - For Travellers
Ranked #5 of 99 Hotels in Arequipa
MN
“Close to downtown, but not too close”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This quiet hotel is close to downtown, but not too close. It's situated in a nice neighborhood, with numerous nice restaurants within walking distace. The courtyard is a nice place to relax, and visit friendly people from all over. They can also help arrange any tours that you'd like to do.

Room Tip: All rooms should be nice, ones on the second floor may be warmer in winter. If arriving early in th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Sayville, New York
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My friend and I stayed in Casa de Avila on July 2013. This is a beautiful hotel. It has an amazing garden with tables, chairs, etc. where you can sit for tea, take Spanish lessons or a cooking class! This place has so much character! The ladies working at the reception are simply amazing. They were very helpful. They let us check in early because my friend wasn't feeling well and we arrived early. They also made her a chicken soup!!! The location is not too bad, it's about a 10-15 min. walk from Plaza Mayor (main square). The only problem we had was that they forgot to give my friend her laundry when we checked out. However, we called the hotel from the bus station and they sent it with a taxi driver, but my friend had to pay for the taxi. Overall, Casa de Avila was an amazing place and I highly recommend it! Thanks ladies for a great experience!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Casa Avila was fantastic. I stayed there for 8 nights while also taking Spanish School in Arequipa. The staff was so incredibly friendly and always willing to help me with any questions I had. They all knew my name after my first day and greeted me with a big smile each time I returned to the hotel. My room was basic, but always very clean and very fair for the price. The garden is fantastic and it was great to have Spanish class out there and just to hang out there as well. I also loved the tortoise that hangs around the garden! Armando runs a fabulous place with a great vibe for a very good price. If you are in Arequipa for 1 night or 20, I would highly recommend staying at Casa de Avila. The Spanish school and Peruvian cooking experience are also fabulous!

Room Tip: Ask for a room off of the garden.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed here for three nights during our time in Peru, and it turned out to be my favorite place that we stayed. The rooms were clean, neat, and refreshed daily. I found the room to be very functional as it had enough furniture to really organize your travel belongings. It even had a small hook rack which is a small detail that I wish more hotels/hostels would have. The door lock is a bit skimpy, but I always felt safe in the hotel, the neighborhood, and Arequipa in general. Breakfast was basic, as in most budget accommodations around Peru. The courtyard was a nice place to relax after an afternoon exploring the city. We did get our laundry done here which was 6 soles per kilo, when outside in the city it is 3 soles per kilo, but you are paying for convenience. Ultimately, this was a great home base for exploring the city and I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My fiance and I really enjoyed our stay at Casa de Avila. The hotel staff was very friendly and the hotels garden area is a great place to relax. The room was clean and comfortable while not being too fancy. It was also fun to be in the atmosphere of the students studying either Spanish or cooking. I also really appreciated the strong cup of coffee in the morning whereas in other places we stayed the coffee was always a little bit weak. The hotel is a little bit further away from Plaza de Armas than many of the other tourist hotels but we enjoyed exploring Arequipa's wide streets and a short walk didn't bother us among the overall value that we felt Casa de Avila offered with the garden, clean rooms, and friendly staff. I recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hostel/hotel is very affordable and very adequate. The room was clean and functional. I was concerned about safety because the door didn't have a safety bolt and the window lock seemed old. It's also located in a neighborhood that is a little quieter at night so there's not a lot of people around. The people at the front desk were very helpful and provided us with a map. They also called us a cab for us to go to the airport.

The breakfast was the worst we had in Peru and frankly not worth waking up early for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Somerset
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very very nice place. Staff excellent. Comfortable, quiet, convenient, lovely garden grounds, very affordable. What more can a traveler want. Free Internet nice breakfast always someone on duty with a smile.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends