“Absolutely loved it”
Review of Casablanca Hostal

Casablanca Hostal
Ranked #35 of 181 Specialty Lodging in Arequipa
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I didn't have a reservation and this hostal was well recommended in my guidebook (Footprint) - I was given a tripple room despite travelling alone (I did get a bit of a reduction in the rate) but it was lovely to have the extra space. I really enjoyed my stay and should have stayed longer.

I had room 5 which I believe can form part of the family suite with room 4. The room was a good size if there are 3 of you in there. The balcony was a great feature, I took the chair from the room out there and spent hours people watching! I could see the Plaza de Armas so location wise it was spot on. It was a little noisy at night with car horns but I still was able to sleep, my only not so great point was that my room was over a chinese restaurant and the smell did filter up to the room in the evenings. The bathroom was a private bathroom but in the hall way between room 4 & 5 so not a problem. Everything was very clean and the weekend cleaner was very friendly. Breakfast was bread and jam with freshly squeezed juice and tea or coffee and the breakfast room had great views over the city.

This is a great hotel with lots of character, I couldn't imagain staying anywhere else if I find myself back in the wonderful city of Arequipa & I had the best food in my entire trip at Sonccollay Restaurant on the Plaza.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Casablanca Hostal

Reviewed November 4, 2010

This hotel has a very limited number of rooms all on one main big floor. Reservations are strongly recommended via telephone. The rooms are huge and nicely decorated. Small bathroom though. It feels like a gothic church. Big open space with internet, books and a friendly house cat. Breakfast was okay, but you pay for eggs?! For backpackers on a budget who want to stay close to main plaza, Los Andes B&B is around the corner and cheaper! For middle aged couples, this hotel is perfect. Quaint and quiet. Free internet.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank murray7777
Reviewed October 26, 2010

The location, only a 1/2 block off the square, is really convenient. Our room was an immense one, with comfy bed, enormous sofa and sitting area, great bathroom. The room was a little dark, because it's in a colonial home, with the only window into the courtyard. The breakfast is served upstairs in the courtyard, a lovely sunny place. We enjoyed our breakfast (it was actually great coffee, not powdered as one reviewer experienced). Bread, jam, juice - the usual Peruvian breakfast. Helpful staff

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I stayed here for two months last year and could not wait to go back and visit. It is such a lovely little hotel with a perfect location and a great atmosphere. The rooms are homely and always clean and the cafe serves great food and smoothies. Definately recommend it, exceptional value for money and really friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Casablanca Hostal is literally just a block away from the main square (Plaza de Armas) in Arequipa, a fantastic location. As we requested, they sent a driver to pick us up from the airport.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was fine, but nothing to write home about. Overall, I highly recommend a stay here if you're in Arequipa.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I absolutely adored Casablanca Hostal. Not only were the staff extremely accomodating when I wanted to move rooms ( the front rooms can be a bit noisy), but the beds were so comfortable and the place was a gorgeous. Lots of cool artwork, beautiful sillar architecture, with the domed ceilings. I felt like I was taking a step back into time. It was truly a refuge for me after a long day. The open area with many windows offers great views during breakfast, and also, there is a solarium to read and get some sun. It is a darling place with character. Oh yes, hot showers and cable TV in each room. It was only 65 soles a night, a steal, compared to other cities such as Cuzco, Puno, Lima, for what you get. Maria and all the rest of the staff were so kind. Helpful, but gave you your privacy. Free internet is included, though it is extremely slow.

In addition the hostal was very secure. You had to ring a bell to be let in by the staff.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2008

The price is more than 55 PEN a night. A very nice room, but do not stay in the front, that is, near the street if you want quiet. Additionally, I asked twice for the hot water to be turned on but it never happened. This was such a disappointment for an otherwise nice hotel. No hot water drove me away to another hotel, and upon leaving I had to ask for a discount due to the lack of it. Also, what a miserable breakfast: powered coffee, no fruit - only margarine, jam, and bread. This could be such a great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo