“Casablanca a great choice for a traveler”
Review of Casablanca Hostal

Casablanca Hostal
Ranked #30 of 178 Specialty Lodging in Arequipa
Terre Haute, Indiana, United States
“Casablanca a great choice for a traveler”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is an excellent travelers' hotel, near the main square. Its rooms were nice with firm beds, hot shower, TV, etc. Pricing was reasonable for the quality of the hostel according to prevailing rates in Arequipa at this time. The place had a very charming atmosphere, with a common area for meeting other travelers on the second floor and a picturesque eating area upstairs. Its Internet was very fast. The hosts spoke adequate English and were knowledgeable about tourist sites and restaurants. The breakfast was very simple, only pastry coffee and juice, so somebody might downgrade the hotel to a four-star because of this. If somebody feels a hotel needs a pool and a hairdryer for a five-star rating, then this would only rate three or four stars. I had to get up at 2:30 for an early tour, and the staff was right on the button waking me up at the right time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Pros: We loved the location. You come out and you are in the Plaza de Armas. A taxi to the bus station cost 10 soles. Rooms had a nice feeling to it. High ceiling and colonial style. Bed comfortable but mattress a little bit hard. Finally, we enjoyed the little balcony!

Cons: Breakfast was disappointing (only bread, jam, coffee and juice). It would have been nice if they served eggs and fruits.

• Stayed June 2013
new orleans
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here. It's so close to everything. The rooms are really great and very interesting. They are also really warm. As I've said in other reviews, I'm always cold at night so they gave me an extra blanket just in case. I never needed it and the room was so comfortable I was actually trying to figure out how it was heated as there was no visible heating in the room. The rooms are kept very clean and the staff is super helpful and nice. The breakfast area is great and the fresh juice and coffee are amazing!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Halden, Norway
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked a trip to Colca valley through Emotion Tour, Chaco, Paracas, which included a stay of 2 nights in Casablanca. I had no expectations in advance, but was positively surprised. It gave me what I needed: A clean, spacy room with shower, very quiet. Right outside the door Internet and "living room", where I could meet the neighbours. A few steps up the breakfast-room and access to a roof garden, where I could take some fresh air and see the sun - and snow-capped mountains.
One staircase down I always found a helpful person at the front desk. Out of the front door I was right in the center of Arequipa - Plaza de Armas. How to succeed in picking a hostal without really trying!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had a reservation confirmed a month in advance and arrive after days on the trail only to find that our reservation had been given away by mistake. The staff had no authority to find us a reservation at a similar hotel or to pay the difference for the more expensive hotel we had to stay at. The hotel owners turned a deaf ear to our requests. I am sure this is a fine place to stay but our experience shows that the reservation system is not reliable and you're on your own if things go wrong.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DBro2012
manchester
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I booked a room for three by email - staff were very helpful and the room was absolutely massive, with four single beds and high ceilings. The only downside was the traffic noise but we asked for a room towards the back for the second night and it was much quieter. The hostel is clean and couldn't be in a better location. The staff are extremely helpful, arranging for 6am breakfast before our trip to the Colca valley and recommended a very good travel agency for the trip. Very happy with Casablanca, would have loved to stay longer.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Its important to note that there are several hotels/ hostels in Arequipa with the name Casa Blanca so check the address before you go!
We stayed Puente Bolognesi, which is directly on the corner to the main square (plaza de armas) so it couldnt be more central. Some of the rooms have a balcony looking over to the square! The place is build beautifully of the original white stone which still features in the rooms. We stayed in two different rooms, both where spacious and had a balcony, spotless clean, TV, and private bathrooms with hot shower. Really nice beds and comfortable. Rooms towards the street are a little noisy with the traffic at night at the square but it didnt bother me.
The hotel also has a big common room on the second floor with a little view over the town.
In general very well maintained and clean. They have 8 rooms.
Services was great two, the guys at the reception were really helpful and friendly with all our questions. Only one of the girls was a bit moody and constantly distracted on the phone to her friends.. we were able to store our luggage at the hotel when we went for a trip, and breakfast is included as well (its only contintental breakfast so just coffee, juice, jam.. a little thin for the price but still good standard). There is a big kitchen upstairs but I dont know if it can be used by guests. Sheets and towels were included as well.
It calls itself Hostal but in general more run like a hotel.
I loved it and would really recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends