“Terribly Disappointing”
Review of qp Hotels Arequipa

qp Hotels Arequipa
Ranked #43 of 102 Hotels in Arequipa
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were very much looking forward to our stay in Arequipa, because we had heard so much about the beautiful architecture. The hotel itself is chic and well-designed, merging minimal design with the original sillar building, which was originally a bank. Unfortunately for us, the good stuff ended there.

We found that the general staff was cold and a little short with us. This includes the front desk staff, as well as the young woman working in the breakfast/dining area. The only staff who felt genuinely welcoming and friendly were the two managers, with whom we had to deal with quite a lot, unfortunately.

Our first shock was our laundry bill. I sent out a large load of laundry and received a bill for a little over US$100.00! Seriously! To be fair, we did not have a clue about the prices before we sent the laundry out, but we thought that this was crazy, so be warned! The second issue that we had was our final bill for the entire stay. When we were checking out, we were charged double for the room. The problem in this case was that when I handed the night manager my reservation confirmation, I gave him the their reservation as well as the one from my hotel in Lima, by accident. The price for the hotel in Lima (which was approximately double the price of qp Hotels) was used, even though it was far more than the rates posted at the front desk. Further to this negative experience, my partner's rain jacket, which we had sent out with the laundry, was not returned with the rest of our clothes. We were told that we "forgot" the jacket in the closet of our room, but the jacket was listed no where on our itemized receipt for the laundry, and having not used the closet the whole time that we were there, we did not think to check the closet, although I suspect that it may not have been there to begin with. We only noticed that the jacket was missing when we were back in Lima, so we called the hotel to ask about the jacket. We were told that we forgot it in the closet and that they would be able to send it to us for a fee. I told them that they should send it for free, considering our overall experience at the hotel. They told me that they would try to figure it out and that they would call me back. Unfortunately, this never happened and I had to call them back myself. The manager, Lourdes, seemed surprised on the phone when I told her what was going on, and she was somewhat apologetic. Later on, I spoke to a male manager, who was even more apologetic and very understanding while he addressed some of my concerns. In the end we received the jacket free of charge, which is only fair, because I suspect that it was forgotten since it wasn't on the bill! Worst of all as far as experiences goes, however, was during breakfast. On the first day, I had noticed a hair on the cheese platter. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning, I think. On our second day, however, in my omelettle (I am vegetarian and had specified that to the waitress) there was a large sprinkling of ham, which I had only noticed a few bites in. Just the thought that I may have eaten meat makes me truly ill, and ultimately is reflective of my overall experience at this hotel. It looks pretty and well-designed. It has the aura of a high-end place, but the staff (with the exception of the managers, and maybe one friendly young woman) really bring the place down.

I was given a few excuses about why these things happened. For the laundry, it was because I did not read the instructions about where the laundry would be placed - for ironed items (who the hell irons a raincoat) they would be in the closet. For the meat in my omelette, the waitress said that her kitchen staff made a mistake. For the being charged double, that was the paper that I gave them (my fault). For the rude staff, I was told that english intimidates them. So basically, no I felt like no one was at fault...except maybe me. For the record, my partner spoke fluent spanish to the staff and she felt that they were rude to her, too.

Overall, this was one of the worst experiences I have EVER had at a hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Birdiki

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, we got a free upgrade to a superior suite - it was gorgeous! In a very good location, a few blocks from the main square and around the corner from the monastery ( the monastery is definitely worth a visit!) The breakfast was great and the hotel was spotless. The room was huge and very clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and spoke good English. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
qpHotels, E-Commerce Executive at qp Hotels Arequipa, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear guest:

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at qp Hotels Arequipa. Indeed our superior suite queen is our top class room.

We invite you to share some pictures of your stay at our social networks, we would really appreciate it!

Thank you for your post and let us know when we will be able to welcome you back again.
Best Regards from the qp Hotels Team.

Luis Campos Valdivieso.
E-commerce Executive

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three days and i loved it. I saw the hotel in the airport and I was glad that they took me there. The building is a mixture of old and modern. Very close to the center of the town. Nice view from my room that they gave me. Internet was very fast and free. I will go back to this hotel anytime. Need more lighting in the cafe area. The manager said that they will look in to that. but other than that the hotel is perfect.

Room Tip: i stayed in room 405.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest:

We are glad that you enjoyed qp Hotels Arequipa. Indeed our hotel design is a combination of modern and colonial style, mostly because of the archs and ashlar walls.
Our location encourages our visitors to simply take a walk to the center of the town at anytime they want.
If you would like to get more information about our hotels (photos, cultural blogs, etc.) Please feel free to visit us through our social networks.

Best Regards from the qp Hotels Team.

Luis Campos Valdivieso.
E-commerce Executive

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed two nights at this hotel which is in the heart of the tourist area. Our room was clean and comfortable and modern, but it is the people that work at this hotel that make it outstanding. On our first night there we had a knock on our door and one of the staff brought a birthday cake to me because they noticed that it was that day. In all ways they were helpful and looking out for us. There were complimentary oisco sours and the best breakfast spread with made to order eggs and pancakes.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great location. Friendly staff. Lovely architecture and rooms. Nice pancakes for breakfast. Great to have a non-smoking hotel.

Lack of non feather pillows. Slightly cold during night (not surprising given Arequipas location).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel is nice, modern, and the staff very friendly and attentive. To get the negatives out up front, the room was a bit small so we felt a bit claustrophobic. And we had issues with a dog in back of the hotel barking on and off through the nights interrupting our sleep. The hotel was the most modern of the six hotels we stayed in during our recent trip. We stayed for 4 nights.

The biggest positive was the staff. They knew us by sight and were very attentive. On one day we were waiting for a tour group to pick us up, and the hotel staff not only realized that the tour leader was late picking us up, but somehow knew which tour company to call and inquire about the delay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel was really the best we had during our stay in Peru.
The airport pickup service worked well, also we arrived later than expected.
The hotel staff was really friendly and helped us a lot. The rooms were modern and super clean, with every detail you would expect for a midrange hotel, e.g. iron and ironboard on the room...

The location is great, you only needed a short walk of less than 10 minutes to the placa the armas, and the famous monastery is even closer. Also a nice colonial style building. The breakfast was really good and more than the Peruvian standard in other hotels.

At least there were a lot of details, e.g the staff came around in the evening and presented us some fine chocolates or came to the room with some finger food.

We would readily stay again there and can only recommend this place!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple