“Such great colors!”

and up
Monasterio de Santa Catalina Admission Ticket
Ranked #1 of 104 things to do in Arequipa
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered a masterpiece of colonial architecture, this monastery is a large complex of rooms, picturesque plazas, ornate fountains and a maze of narrow, cobblestone streets.
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I really liked our one hour tour of the monastery. We were lucky to go on a day with a spectacular blue sky that really brought out the colors of the walls and gardens.

1  Thank Joanne G
Write a ReviewReviews (6,151)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"convent"
in 245 reviews

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We opted for the night time tour where many of the rooms are lit only by candlelight, and was it ever spectacular. The place is just gorgeous.

I suppose that if you want to really see all the antiques and whatnot, it would be better to do the daytime tour, but we just really enjoyed being there at night in all its moodiness and mystery. Plus, I expect that there are fewer people around at night, and that was something really enjoyed.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I think my title says it all. This is such an incredible city withing a city. We visited without a guide and spend probably about 3 hours walking through this incredible maze of buildings. The number of photo opportunities are great just make sure you have a sunny day.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Went here on my first full day in Arequipa and literally did get lost in it. Much larger than it looks on the outside and quite well preserved. The roofs provide excellent views of the city.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I really enjoyed wandering around the complex and took some wonderful pictures. I went during a Tuesday afternoon knowing that they closed late. I spent about 3 hours going around on my own. A lot of people used the guides, but I didn't and chose to just read the descriptions. If I were to do it again, I think it would have been beneficial to hire a guide and then go around on my own.

There are a lot of nooks that you can explore and it is very peaceful.

Definitely add this as a stop on your itinerary.

1  Thank cauliflower18