“Beautifull -- and do the night tour!”

Monasterio de Santa Catalina
Book In Advance
More Info
$46.50*
and up
Arequipa City Tour Including St Catherine Monastery
Ranked #1 of 102 things to do in Arequipa
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered a masterpiece of colonial architecture, this monastery is a large complex of rooms, picturesque plazas, ornate fountains and a maze of narrow, cobblestone streets.
Prescott, Arizona
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Beautifull -- and do the night tour!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We opted for the night time tour where many of the rooms are lit only by candlelight, and was it ever spectacular. The place is just gorgeous.

I suppose that if you want to really see all the antiques and whatnot, it would be better to do the daytime tour, but we just really enjoyed being there at night in all its moodiness and mystery. Plus, I expect that there are fewer people around at night, and that was something really enjoyed.

Visited October 2013

• Polish first
Alicante, Spain
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Don't leave Arequipa without a visit to this monastery”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I think my title says it all. This is such an incredible city withing a city. We visited without a guide and spend probably about 3 hours walking through this incredible maze of buildings. The number of photo opportunities are great just make sure you have a sunny day.

Visited October 2013
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A place to get lost in”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Went here on my first full day in Arequipa and literally did get lost in it. Much larger than it looks on the outside and quite well preserved. The roofs provide excellent views of the city.

Visited November 2013
Toronto
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Beautiful; fantastic place for photos”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I really enjoyed wandering around the complex and took some wonderful pictures. I went during a Tuesday afternoon knowing that they closed late. I spent about 3 hours going around on my own. A lot of people used the guides, but I didn't and chose to just read the descriptions. If I were to do it again, I think it would have been beneficial to hire a guide and then go around on my own.

There are a lot of nooks that you can explore and it is very peaceful.

Definitely add this as a stop on your itinerary.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank cauliflower18
Montreal, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Wonderful site to explore”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We are travelling on a budget, but after reading about this monastery, we felt it was something worth seeing. It was. Its amazing! The size, colors, labyrinthine aspect. We where with our kids 10 and 13 and we enjoyed getting lost in this city within a city. We went on a Saturday around 11:30. The monastery was not crowded at all. Bring a water bottle, if you really want to get immersed in your visit you are looking at two three hours of exploring. Do not hesitate to bring the kids. They will love the mandering, and they pay half price.

Visited November 2013