“Great Hotel with Excellent Staff”
Review of Casa Arequipa

Casa Arequipa
Ranked #12 of 99 Hotels in Arequipa
Omaha, Nebraska
“Great Hotel with Excellent Staff”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was our first trip to Arequipa. It started with a lost luggage incident. The hotel started immediately helping us with the issue, which would have been much more difficult without their assistance. Throughout our stay, it was the staff that made the difference! Especially Silvana who was our main contact. She always went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. The hotel was very convenient and within walking distance of all areas of interest. We stayed in the balcony room which was spacious and lovely. My only issues with the room is that it is a little noisy in the mornings and the sun bakes the room a bit. Overall it was a very enjoyable stay and we will not hesitate to come back. Thank you for making our trip the best!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gary L, Propietario at Casa Arequipa, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear. Guest,

Thank you very much for write about us, for us is important to know that you enjoy your stay with us.

Sincerely.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Coming in early was not a problem, we were welcomed and given breakfast. The staff were very friendly, interested in our plans and helped with details and translation. We had a two day hike planned over the three day stay and they even deducted one nights accommodation since we were not there for one night, allowing us to keep our gear in our room! How's that for service. Hugs when we left - when was the last time that happened at a hotel. Seemed like we were part of their family. We picked this hotel based on other tripadvisor comments and were very satisfied. I cannot think of a better experience.

Room Tip: No issues, even though there was construction across the street, there was little sound evident in t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank GGGEOFF
Gary L, Propietario at Casa Arequipa, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear. Guest,

Thank you very muchfor your kind comment, for us is always a pleasure to know that you feel confortable with us.

we hope see you again in a next opportunity.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

From the moment I walked in to Case Arequipa I felt completely looked after. The house itself it a beautiful colonial house and very well kept. The rooms are lovely and comfortable - I slept beautifully both nights I was there. The staff were extremely helpful and always went above and beyond in advising me with tours, storing bags, arranging transportation...allowing me back to use the internet after my stay...the list goes on. They also let me check in early at no extra charge..( it was low season). They even asked the builders next door to stop working so I could have a nap. After travelling for 6 weeks, the breakfast they served was the best I had in Peru. The place is however about a 20 min walk to the main town area - but to be honest this isnt a bad thing. The centre of town is very noisy and can be a little dangerous, it was nice to come back to quiet. Taxi's a very cheap and take 5 mins. The only thing i would say is the taxi they ordered to pick me up from the airport was quite expensive - local cabs are cheaper but maybe an organised one is a better option if travelling alone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Poepull
Gary L, Owner at Casa Arequipa, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Above all, we would like to thank you for your stay. We are glad you enjoyed the Casa Arequipa experience. As you noted, we try to offer a quietude and comfort that hotels directly in the center cannot provide.

With regard to the taxi issue you noted, we do prefer to call taxis to take our guests to the airport. We do so because we want to assure that our guests get the safest and most reliable transport to their destination. We have no control over the charges the taxis make and we do not receive any compensation from them. We are aware that they sometimes charge a bit more than drivers on the street, mostly because they will be focused on getting you to the airport and not picking up return passengers, thus making a round trip but charging for only one way. Our guests are always welcome to hail taxis from the street if that is their preference.
We hope that you come back to stay with us when you are next in Peru.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 29, 2014

When I arrived at casa arequipa I was blown away at the beauty of the place. I felt like I was one of these rich people with maids in a south american soap opera. It really felt like this beautiful house was all ours, because there were no other guests and the staff was so attentive to us. Beds were very comfortable, and the beautiful wooden furniture was just so nice I wanted to have a home just like this one. The rooftop terrace had a beautiful view of volcano in the background Breakfast was very nice too. Was I especially appreciated is that before our night bus to Nazca, they let us take a shower one last time before our long journey which I really appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in the Casa Arequipa. The hotel itself is small but lovely. I stayed in the balcony room, but I saw several other rooms and they all looked very good to me. The staff are friendly, kind and very helpful. The breakfast is excellent, and the breakfast room and patio provide a great view of Misti volcano most of the year. (During the rainy season it often hides in cloud). Most reviews mention that it is a 15 minute walk to the center, but I did it consistently in 12 minutes. There are many good restaurants in the city center, but there is also a good and rather high-end restaurant (Sambambaia's) very close to the hotel - just a 1 minute walk. Unlike many hotels in the center of town, the Casa Arequipa is pretty quiet at night, providing for a good night's sleep.

Michael B. (USA)

Room Tip: I think you will be happy with any of them. The street noise at night is minimal in this area, and I...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Wow I had high expectations of this hotel and it exceeded them. The rooms are really lovely and comfortable. The lobby is just beautiful and a great place to hang out. Breakfast on the roof is amazing. But the people who work there really make it even nicer - they were so accommodating and friendly and kind. There were 7 of us in our group, all in our 40's and 50's, and we all consider staying at this hotel one of our highlights of Peru.

Some bonus things they did for us: we were able to leave some of our luggage in our rooms while we hiked in Colca Canyon for 3 days and when we returned our luggage was waiting for us in the same rooms - I can't tell you how nice that was! We also ordered pizza two nights we were there and ate it in the lobby (we ate so well at lunch those two days we didn't have space to eat dinner out as well) and they took care of plates, etc for us. The day we flew out we had to be at the airport early and they had coffee waiting for us (we drank a lot of coffee there).

The only bad thing was probably out of Casa Arequipa's control but there was a party nearby the last night we were there (It was unclear to me if the party was next door at the school or up on the roof) and a few of my friends didn't get much sleep because of the noise.

Room Tip: Since there were 7 of us, we had 5 different rooms at the hotel and all of them were nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Joanne G
Vallée de Chevreuse, proche Paris
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We adored this hotel - it is friendly and intimate, with beautiful furnishings and decorations in both the bedrooms and public rooms. Breakfast on the rooftop terrace with views towards El Misti is stunning and the staff so helpful. We enjoyed the walk along leafy roads, past beautiful colonial houses to the town center - and the location in this calm neighbourhood ensures peaceful nights.
Of all the great hotels we stayed in during our holiday in Peru this was definitely one of the best - and great value for money.
Gill - from France

Room Tip: We stayed in the Library Room which was delightful - peaking into other rooms they all looked great...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple