“Best Meal in Peru”

Paladar 1900
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a wondrful restaurant, located in a historic white-stone building several blocks from the main plaza. The atmosphere in the several different areas of the restaurant is very special. We ate in the courtyard with the white floasting umbrellas overhead - heaters provided as the evening was cool. Unique and comfortable furnishings, candles, pleasant music and attentive staff made the evening very special.

Our dinner (botht the food and the setting) was the best we had in Peru. The restaurant describes the food as comida peruana fusion - and provides a very interesting and varied menu I had the cebiche and the cuy (had to try it). My husband has some appetizers and pepper steak - everything was delicious. The bottle of wine was reasonably priced.

We would not hesitate to recommend it.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a lovely dinner here after spending several days hiking Colca, and on our way to an overnight bus trip. So, we weren't dressed very nicely, and weren't too clean- and were worried they'd turn us away.

They were so kind to us (despite our appearance), and the food was excellent. The restaurant itself is an Arequipa white-stone building that they've kept intact, and just hung chandeliers and installed big comfy chairs. It was a wonderful experience.

I had the arroz con pato (duck with rice), and my husband had ceviche. Both were very good, and the Happy Hour drink specials kept the price lower than we'd expected.

HIGHLY recommend.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Good food and the location was great. The prices are not bad. The owner is a turkish man that likes cooking, but it seems like the food has a small peruvian taste to it. maybe he is more peruvian now. The decore is great and looks like an old turkish house. I would go to this place if you like turkish food with a little peruvian spice.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Good: Delicious food and great presentation; Clean and beautiful restaurant (really cool chairs); Very friendly and welcoming staff.

The Bad: A little more expensive than the average Peruvian restaurant, but worth it.

My menu: Trio of ceviches, arroz con pato, and several cocktails.

Price: 89 Soles total; 59 Soles for two entrees and 30 Soles for four "happy hour" priced cocktails.

Value: Great value. Large portion sizes and quality food for the price. The food I had was actually better (at half the price) than at another renowned Peruvian chef's local restaurant.

Dine-again status? Absolutely, if I ever find myself in Arequipa again.

When I ate there: March 11, 2013

1  Thank M J
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Reliable, good, innovative Peruvian fusion food. The chef is Turkish, trained in Europe. Lovely decor and as someone else noted good music. Staff is attentive and the food is really excellent. The amuse bouche is a wonderful roasted potates with a yellow pepper sauce. Absolutely delicious. It is also served with many of the entrees and a very delightful change from the ubiquitous papas fritas. The soups are delicious as are the entrees. Only thing that wasn't as good as you can get some other places was the recoto relleno. Otherwise wonderful place. We have been there twice and will probably go back before we leave. Definitely recommend.

1  Thank Kilowatt512