“Perfect hotel for business or tourism”

Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel
Ranked #4 of 99 Hotels in Arequipa
Bethesda, Maryland
“Perfect hotel for business or tourism”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I stayed at this property for 2.5 nights during the last week of January 2014 (two regular nights plus I paid for a third night to ensure an early morning check-in when I arrived after an overnight flight). This was my first visit to Arequipa, and the Tierra Viva Plaza was just what I was looking for to ensure a successful stay for myself and a work colleague. The bed was very comfortable with excellent pillows, and the room was fresh, clean, and quiet. Most importantly, the wi-fi worked perfectly. Once I figured out which way to turn the modern-style faucets in the bathroom sink and shower there was plenty of hot water, and I enjoyed the artisanal spa-type bath products. Despite it being mid-summer in Peru, the altitude of Arequipa meant that the space heater was a welcome amenity at night and it worked fine. My room was attractive, but although it was probably quieter I would request one that had real windows next time (mine just had narrow opaque windows up high on the bedroom wall, so you could not see out). The breakfast was tasty (especially the delicious Peruvian jams) and I never experienced any problems with crowding in the dining room. The concierges were very helpful with excellent recommendations for nearby restaurants for lunch and dinner (definitely go to Paladar 1900 just around the corner - and make sure to get the mango ceviche and the rocoto relleno!). If you're in Arequipa on Sunday, make sure to try some queso helado from the vendors on the Plaza. For some bookings (perhaps through their website, which is how I booked my room), the hotel provides a free transfer from the airport to the hotel. The driver they sent to pick me up, Wily, was wonderful and is a real asset to the property--it was a real pleasure to meet him and hear his helpful tips about the city. Definitely it was nice to have a driver there waiting when I arrived after a long overnight flight, so this service provides a great added value for guests. All in all, I would highly recommend this property and will definitely stay there again if I visit Arequipa in the future.

Room Tip: Request a room with a window if being in a windowless environment makes you feel claustrophobic
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
TierraViva01, Director General at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Ceollaigh,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment and for considering Tierra Viva a “Perfect hotel for business or tourism”.

Once again, thank you, and we hope to have you again with us in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Tierra Viva Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Trieste, Italy
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We were a party of 4 and spent 2 nights at the hotel. The first impression was of cleanliness, brightness and efficiency. The staff was welcoming and helpful. The rooms were of good size and pleasantly decorated. The beds were comfortable. There were plenty of blankets and we used them all: there is no central heating and a small oil filled radiator is available in each room. We were rather puzzled by the size of the WC, which seemed ideal for toddlers and challenging for adults!

The breakfast lounge was nice and cheerful and the buffet style breakfast was generous and interesting with a variety of cooked and uncooked food, including Peruvian specialities.

The very central location, only a 5-minute stroll from the main square, is ideal for sightseeing and for shopping. On the grounds of convenience and value for money, I would not hesitate to use the hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: Check for traffic noise if your room is at the front
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear GIANCARLO C,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment and for considering Tierra Viva a “Nice Welcoming Hotel”.

Kind Regards,

Paris, France
Reviewed February 5, 2014

What i like : Large, clean and quiet room. We find everything we need in that kind of standard hotels.
In Arequipa, good location near the Plaza de Armas, the historical center and restaurants.

What i don't like : too much ordinary breakfast. Not enough chairs and table in the room. The lack of commercial sense of some membres of the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the patio in the back side.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
TierraViva01, Director General at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear DONOT-BUGHIN J,

Thank you so much for your comment and for having stayed at our hotel.

We are taking notes of your recommendations and pass them over to our Operations Manager.

Once again, thank you, and we hope to have you again at any Tierra Viva Hotel very soon.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I spent 4 nights at this hotel.

POSITIVES -
1. Excellent location. Couple hundred yards to the Center City Plaza. A hundred yards from a closed pedestrian only street with shops, drugstores, restaurants including McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut and Starbucks. I recommend MANOLO's restaurant on this street.
2. This is a Very Clean well maintained hotel with good staff. NO chance that I can imagine for "bedbugs" here.
3. Taxis are always available at all normal hours driving on the street outside. Rooms are large, bathrooms are large, my bed was a king size.
4. NO musty smell anywhere, carpets in hallways and rooms are in good shape and clean.
5. Breakfast is decent with actual hotel coffee you can drink. EXCEPT the four days we stayed here the breakfast "was Identical every day". Variety would be good.

IMPORTANT - Specify and INSIST on a room that does not face the street outside the hotel. My business associates room faced the street and his room was NOISY ! My room did not face the main street and it was mostly quiet, except for some less than classy guests that arrived the last night I stayed.

IMPROVEMENTS NEEDED -
1. The "In-Room" safe is a JOKE ! It is a tiny metal safe that you cannot stuff even a 7" Tablet along with your Passport and other items inside, much less my 11.6" Notebook. This is an easy fix and I would hope that management "sees the light" and takes care of this with new safe's.
2. The "electronic music" being piped through the lobby and breakfast area. First it is on the LOUD side and should be lowered about 60% volume. We had to interview someone in the lobby and I had to ask for the music to be turned down. Also it is the same music soundtrack over and over again every day. In the breakfast area it is even louder than in the lobby, who wants loud obnoxious electronic music while having breakfast. Again, an easy fix, lower the volume 60% in the lobby and 70% in the breakfast area and get different soundtracks, easy jazz would be nice.
3. My room did not have a shower curtain in the bathtub (round tub) and the floor would get wet, shower curtains in all bathrooms would be nice.
4. The bathroom was large and a nice touch would be a "bidet" in the bathroom, most nicer hotels in Latin America do have bidets in the bathrooms, would be a classy move.
5. Laundry Service - It says on the laundry form that all laundry given to the staff before 10:00am would be returned by 5:00pm the Same Day... I handed my laundry in at 8:00am, still had not arrived by 7:30pm. I had to go question the staff and I got it about 8:00pm.
6. Television Channels - This is also a JOKE. Very limited amount of channels almost none in English, this NEEDS to be addressed quickly. Not even the lousy CNN available on their selection. HOWEVER, they do have nice 32" Samsung LCD's in the rooms, unfortunately no HD so the picture in marginal.

CONCLUSION - This is a good clean, safe hotel. I would stay here again and I RECOMMEND this hotel. HOWEVER, it is NOT Great, and the improvements cited would take it to excellent.

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room with windows facing the main street out front, it is noisy in those rooms and you...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear CaptainKuddles,

Thank you so much for your excellent comment and for having stayed at our hotel.

We are taking notes of your recommendations and passed over to our Operations Manager.

Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Superb hotel with all modern facilities,great breakfast.
Spacious,clean rooms
Perfect location to explore Arequipa
Friendly,helpfull staff
Good working wifi
Good value for money
Maybe just one remark:the hotel was somewhat hidden away.a good signpost would help.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chloe c
Dear chloe c,

Thank you so much for considering Tierra Viva a “Great Hotel”.

We are so glad of knowing that you enjoyed your stay at out hotel and we hope to have you again at any Tierra Viva Hotel very soon.

london
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This hotel is clean and comfortable, excellent location just a block away from the main square yet quiet, has a good breakfast spread, the staff are very friendly and attentive, Highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank meera520
TierraViva01, Director General at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear meera520,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment and for considering Tierra Viva a “Luxurious Boutique Hotel”

Once again, thank you, and we hope to have the opportunity of attending you again in the near future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Tierra Viva reminds me of boutique hotels in Europe, with modern touches and friendly, attentive staff. The booking staff was very responsive prior to our trip, making sure to have all our information so as to arrange for our pick-up at the airport (included in the reservation.) We ended up being delayed one day due to a flight cancellation on the way to Arequipa, and Tierra Viva was very responsive in moving our reservation back one day. Every time I spoke with them on the phone or via e-mail, they were well-informed and quick to confirm arrangements. The location of the hotel is close enough (5-10 minute walking distance) to the Plaza without being stuck in the hustle and bustle of the Plaza itself. There are many restaurants catering to both locals and tourists nearby. The room itself was roomy and modern, but for some reason we had windows that were shaded, probably because they looked out upon a building or alley. This left the room with poor lighting, but we were not spending much time in the room anyway. There is a business center with two computers and printers, and a dining area where the daily standard breakfast is served. Unlike other lodgings, the Wifi was available in the room. The staff is very helpful and I was particularly thankful to have the receptionist (by name of Davis or David or the like) helping me through arranging a driver to take us to Ilo after our stay in Arequipa. They were even hospitable when we returned from our excursion to Colca Canyon to rest a few minutes in the lobby and get refreshed while waiting for our driver.
There were just one mishap during our stay. The electricity went out just as we were leaving for our tour of Colca and trying to check out of the hotel. Without electricity, we could not use our VISA (only Mastercard or Amex could be taken manually), so we were left to rush around the Plaza to try to find cash to pay the bill. Besides, that, Tierra Viva was the right choice for us in Arequipa.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GogoTrekker
TierraViva01, Director General at Tierra Viva Arequipa Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear GogoTrekker,

Thank you so much for your excellent comment and for sharing your experience at Tierra Viva with other travelers.

Once again, thank you, and we hope to have you again, at any Tierra Viva Hotel, very soon.