“Strike Three and You're Out!”

El Meson Del Virrey
Ranked #179 of 375 Restaurants in Arequipa
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Pucallpa, Peru
“Strike Three and You're Out!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Three hungey diners, three plates, three disasters!

The Carpaccio of Alpaca, Trout & Beef swam in a Nouvelle Andean Sauce. It drowned the flavor of the meats. The Duck and Garlic plate was overwhelmed by a "cheap-Chinese-restaurant" sauce (thickened with corn strach) that was overly sweet. And the Avocado Salad "a la Jardinera" was a potato salad adorned with a avocado on top. Also, I ordered a Cesar Salad that come without parmesano cheese, bacon bits, hardboiled eggs, sesame grissini breadsticks and a mayo dressing. On a positive note both the service and ambience were very good.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank mick h

Australia
“Best mean in Arequipa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was our first experience in New Andean cuisine and we loved all dishes, in particular the fish with quinoa and honey. Service was great and the pisco sours the biggest we got in Peru. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Susana61
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Service is worth sooo much”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was our last meal in Arequipa but it did highlight something you do not see very often and something that will make you return. My wife and I ordered a shared starter for two. I ordered the Alpaca steak and my wife ordered lamb. We also ordered a nice "local" wine with guidance from the waiter. The waiter took the order and then stopped and said... I think you may have ordered too much. The portions are quite large I would suggest that you have a main course between the two of you, we will split it in half for you.
The starter was large and we did not quite finish it, the main course was perfectly sized. I asked the waiter who would eat such large portions and he said locals do!
The steak (I like rare to medium) was incredibly succulent, yes I won, and my wife agreed that the aplpaca was just lovely. The starter was nice and the wine lovely but the service....
I also found it very reasonable!

• Visited June 2012