“Cozy!”

Ranked #24 of 179 Specialty Lodging in Arequipa
Santa Fe Springs, California
“Cozy!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at Scandinavia Hostal and Jehssely (owner) was very friendly and made you feel at home. She was very helpful in trying to help us locate our lost luggage. Its well situated; about a couple of minutes walk to the Plaza de Armas in Arequipa. A cozy place that I recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mina A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I only got to spend 1 night at the Scandinavia House, but wish I could have stayed longer. The location is perfect: in a quiet, safe street a few blocks from the main plaza. The room was large and clean, with a very comfortable king size bed, couch, TV, fridge… The bathroom is small but functional.
What I loved about this place is the relaxed / homey feel to it: the owner is very friendly and welcoming. You can tell they put a lot of effort into making their guests feel comfortable.
Breakfast is basic but nothing to complain about.
I highly recommend this hostel and would surely stay there again. One of my favorite hostels I stayed at during my trip to Peru.
Oh, and the rooftop view is unbelievable, especially at sunrise!! (picture attached)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Prisc105
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here twice over the span of a week. Jehssely (the owner) was amazing. She made you feel more like a friend than a guest. I had problems with my flights which she went out of her way to help me with, as well as assisting me with bus travel. Great location only a few blocks from the main square. The views from the roof top patio are unreal, and a great way to start you day with cocoa tea and breakfast. I would definitely recommend Hostal Scandanavia as a place to stay in Arequipa. It was the best valued place I stayed at in Peru and easily the most welcoming.

Greg

• Stayed July 2012
7 Thank TravelJunky19
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2012

this COULD BE a great hostel but they need to put some work into it.

When i was there they were doing some work on the place so this should be good news for future guests. Bathrooms dont have toilet paper which was my first experience of this so i was a bit put out.

the rooms wasnt the best and the door stuck like the door in spider man

the bathrooms were huge but needed work to be better

there was a lounge which i wasnt sure if was for guests or for the family. it wasnt clear if the woman is the only one working here when i asked the man something he responded with an obvious attitude.

I wanted to stay in town a while so i left the next day.

its a beautiful house, the female owner is lovely

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank TravelButtefly
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Great location, friendly staff...they are doing a lot of renovations, and I'm sure that this will be the top hostel in Arequipa once they are done! The rooftop views alone are worth it!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank Chai_T
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My best hostel experience. Enjoy the price and the view. Everything you need is in walking distance ... Great place.

• Stayed June 2012
9 Thank Face33
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I know that we were asked to leave a review here by the staff and I will but I doubt it´s what they wanted to hear. This place is not the best option. We were on a tight budget and from the reviews we thought what better place to stay?! For 20soles we were happy enough to stay in a dorm room without a bathroom. (shared bathrooms are ok) Breakfast is not included. The people live in the hostel so you share the kitchen with the family, also sharing the lounge room with the family so you watch whatever they watch on tv. The computer wasn´t working the day we arrived, they say it´s really bad on Sundays, unfortunately Monday was no better. The hostel is barely held together, paint peeling in the rooms, the beedsheets are worn, the bathrooms are falling apart and we were told that there is no hot water in the shared bathrooms, that we had to ask to use a private bathroom to get hot showers. I really don´t understand the rave reviews, fork out an extra 5soles and stay somewhere MUCH nicer a block nearer to the plaza.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple