“Amazing 3-day Colca Canyon trip”

Land Adventures Day Tours
Ranked #16 of 54 Tours in Arequipa
More attraction details
Owner description: We are an experienced company which likes to bring the best service to those who really want to get under Peru's skin, discovering our country's rich culture and history as well as its landscapes. At Land Adventures, we believe that your trip should be about getting to know the people of a country as opposed to just passing through! We have a multicultural and multilingual staff who are more than willing to respond to any queries or requests that you might have. Our Peruvian manager Paul has been guiding for years and has an invaluable knowledge of his country. He is accompanied by Catherine, our French-German public relations manager, herself a long-term resident of Peru, who will be pleased to help you with anything before, during or after your trip. Catherine is fluent in French, German, English and Spanish. Last but not least, we are very proud of our excellent team of guides, who regularly delight our visitors and receive very positive reviews here on TripAdvisor. Pepe, Veronica and Marcelo, among others, are dedicated to providing the very best visitor experience by listening to your needs and helping you discover our landscapes and culture in a way that you might not have thought possible. Finally, Land Adventures is committed to Responsible Tourism, which can be seen in everything we do. Our ethical policy ensures that we always pay fair prices to all of our employees and associates and fuels our work towards ecological conservation and preservation. Whether you are interested in a two-day long trek or much longer cross-country tour, don't hesitate to contact us! We look forward to hearing from you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing 3-day Colca Canyon trip”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We went with Pepe (and Antonia B, review below, was on our trip) below on the 3-day Colca Canyon trip. It was a fabulous experience -- from the booking to the dropping off at our hotel afterward in Arequipa. This company is listed in Frommer's or Fodor's, can't remember which, but IT NEEDS TO BE IN EVERY GUIDEBOOK, especially Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, etc.!!!! Catherine answered every one of my many questions by email. Our group was very small -- just my husband and me, and two women from LA. It was very intimate, and they were able to customize the trip for us. For example, they picked us up in Yanque (where we had a wonderful stay at Miskawassi B&B), and we did the scenic stops from Arequippa to the Canyon on the way back instead, so we didn't miss them. I also really liked the timing of this company's trip. They don't leave at the crack of dawn, or get you up at 3 a.m. to hike out of the canyon. They spend only one night in the canyon, and frankly, although we really liked the oasis on our second day, I'm not sure i would have liked to stay there. (On the other hand, i could see doing a longer Canyon trek, as there is so much to see there -- Land Adventures can make this happen too!)
So, Pepe was incredible -- he is so knowledgable and really shared his knowledge with us -- flora, fauna, geology, history, culture, etc.. As part of his 5-year program to be certified as a Colca area guide, he stayed for a while in a small village in the canyon and worked to really up the number of students who attended school there. Unlike other guides, who passed the town by, we sat for a good 45 minutes in the little town as he really explained what life was like there, especially the needs of the school and the medical clinic. (If anyone wants a service project in a health clinic or a school, Pepe will hook you up.)
Pepe is fun-loving and kind and went out of his way for all of us to make sure we had a great and safe experience. We are not young (55 and 59), and my husband was getting over, um, stomach problems, so he was a slow hiker. Pepe managed to bop between the 30-year old women (who run the fire trails in LA) and us, keeping both sets of us in mind.
A couple of pointers. TAKE THE MULES OUT!!! I hiked out of the Grand Canyon when I was younger, and although this is a shorter hike, it is by far steeper. No sweeping switchbacks. It is essentially a rocky stair case straight up. The best thing Pepe did was show us a portion of the trail as we hiked through the canyon in the morning that was about 20 minutes long but the same steepness as the out-of-the-canyon ascent. That showed us all, especially my husband, that the mules would be 60 soles very well spent. I don't know if you can reserve them in advance, but we had a moment of panic (esp for my husband) when there were no mules when we got to the Oasis. But, as usual, Pepe to the rescue. We paid for his mule up to, so he wouldnt have to walk beside us.
Second, about the lodging, you might want to try to find out from Catherine where you will be lodged. You can spend $50 extra for 3-star accomodation (Kunturwassi), which is quite lovely. We didn't mind lesser accomodations and did not pay extra. However, it was the Festival of the Virgin del Carmen, and there was not a lot of availability. We were placed in the (coincidentally named) Hostel Virgin del Carmen, which really wasn't that great (though the bed was comfortable and they had plenty of hot water). Also, it was new construction, and withstood the earthquake.
As Antonia notes, we were there during a 6.0 (says USGS) earthquake more or less centered in the town. 20 houses were flattened (80 in the next town over), rockslides on the road,ruined water supply, and tremendous rockslides in the canyon, closing some of the trails and sending up clouds of dust that darkened the skies all the way to Arequippa. Frightening. But it sure gave us something to chat about on the long (and so beautiful) ride home.
Can't say enough good stuff about the trip: great drivers, good food (great buffet in Chivay), magical time in the canyon (simple accomodations expected and very adequate there), the organization, and especially our great guide Pepe. Looking down through other reviews, I see other people really liked their guides too. I'm so glad - it's a real testament to the company. (But I'm sure Pepe still is the best!)

, but none of them could compare for value ($200/pp including the Colca Canyon ticket) or

Visited July 2013

Heidelberg, Germany
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent 3-day trip to Colca Canyon”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We very much enjoyed our trip to Colca Canyon with Land Adventures and the wonderful guide, Marcelo. The company is very professional and Marcelo was fun to travel with and knew the area well. He was able to answer many of our "unusual" questions and did so with great enthusiasm! The canyon is beautiful, and it was nice to be on the three day trek to better enjoy the place. The accommodations were very comfortable and the food was excellent. The information regarding the trip was as promised, and Land Adventures did a good job informing us of changes due to the recent earthquake. We had a lot of flexibility to choose where we wanted to go, stop, take pictures, and at what pace we wanted to travel. It was nice that all necessary costs and food associated with the trip were included in the overall price.

Visited August 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Colca Canyon”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My family, 2 adults and 3 teenagers trekked the Colca Canyon for 4 days with Land Adventure Tours last December. Our guide ,Pepe, was fantastic with his enthusiasm. The first day of the trek is the hardest as it is all downhill for about 6 hours. We spent the first night at Llahuar ,next to the river, and relaxed in the Thermal baths, great place. The next day we were to go to Fure, however, as this was December and the rainy season bad weather turned us back and so we trekked to the Oasis. This was a blessing in disguise as we had a great time fishing for trout and watching all the guides trying to catch fish and then dropping them as they tried to take them out of the fishing net.. That night Pepe showed his talents as a chef with tasty grilled fish.Stayed there for 2 nights and then headed up the hill to Cabanaconde which was a steep walk for a couple of hours, hard but not as bad as going downhill for 6 hours. The trek was well worth it. We saw condors when we were going into the canyon and also while we were trekking. Highly recommend Pepe and Land Adventure tours.

Visited December 2012
Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing! Ask for Pepe as your guide”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This as the best part of my trip to Peru. I took the Land Adventures three-day tour of Colca Canyon. I was lucky enough to have Pepe as my guide and he was by far the best we could have hoped for. He called around his friends to find my friend a phone battery when she lost hers, he loaned me money when my shoes broke without making me feel like it was an issue and then he protected me and my friend during an earthquake! He's also a great cook. The best part though is he really knows a lot about the area and genuinely cares about the local people, even teaching part-time at the village school. What a great trip. Really well-priced too. I also recoomend taking a mule ride up the canyon on your way out. So fun.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank antonia b
liverpool, UK
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“The highlight of our trip!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I did the 3 day trek with Land Adventures. Our guide Nestor was excellent and his knowledge of the canyon and everything related kept us constantly fascinated. The trek itself was quite leisurely on the way down, but on the second day, coming back up in one 3 hour stint was quite tough. However I am proud to say we did not take the option of going by mule (!) and managed to make it up on two feet. It was very rewarding. I would recommend using Land Adventures for the colca canyon trek to see the real Peru and its people. We will hold the memory of those 3 days for a lifetime, it truly was magical, and having Nestor as our guide certainly enticed the whole experience.

Visited June 2013