“Near by”

Ranked #39 of 168 Arequipa B&B and Inns
Florianopolis, SC
“Near by”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Hostel was near by city center and historical center, very safe place to walk even alone at night. The room was very noise cause was in the middle of courtyard. Every person whom want to enter press a ring all night long and doesn't matter where you are, it is very noise. Breakfast first day attendant forgot to bring me the rest of the breakfast, so I had coffee, bread and butter! The other day I had eggs, jelly, fruits, coffee, milk, bread and butter... terrible mistake.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Salvador, El Salvador
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Terrible experience that ended un in the police office. The "continental breakfast" is bread and butter and you have to pay $5 extra for eggs that were inedible. The sheets were dirty and had hairs in them. Rooms don't have a patio as stated in description and photos do not correspond to hotel. There was no water at all when we were there thus we couldn't shower. (No water at all not even to flush the toilet). Not cool for someone that has been hiking and traveling around the days before and after. When we complained that we did not want to pay full price because we didn't receive full service the owner locked my friends in a patio. I had to run to the police to solve the issue. When I was at the police they informed me it was not the first time customers had come with complaints about related issues. When confronted by the police and asked to show the surveillance video the lady refused by saying they were ruined.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank p v
Wroclaw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

The place has fantastic atmosphere with lovely patio, flowers and nice furniture. The location is perfect and safe. Just a few blocks to Santa Catalina convent and Plaza de Armas. Rooms are clean, with sufficient bathrooms and hot water. Also staff is asmiled and nice. The only problem is that they are cheating on currency rates when you pay a bill! I read it before in one Peruvian review, but I didn't really pay attention untill I went to pay our bill. We booked through booking.com "secret offer" i.e. 50 % off from the regular price and we were supposed to pay 17,50 dollars (17,5 x 2,56 = 44,8 soles). Instead the receptionist told me to pay 64 soles (25 USD). I said that she must have been wrong and then - still all asmiled- she said that "peruvian hotels use different rate and in every hotel in Peru they have to calculate that way". I new this was a blatant lie so I said that I will pay in US dollars (I had brend new bank notes) but then she said she can accept only peruvian soles. So I paid and left with the feeling that I was deceived. It's so stupid, since we liked the place a lot and were willing to leave a tip anyway. But that way I will not reccommend the place to anybody.

Room Tip: Better find another place where they do not cheat turists.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank b_architect
lima
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in 2different rooms, the 1st one had a nice terrace but we could hear the music from the bar on the other side of the street... nice rooms, cleaned, hot water, nice staff, wifi, can keep your luggage for some days, can include breakfast if you wish (cheap), even if there are some places in arequipa where you can have a nicer one (even if they usually opened quite late, the breakfast in the hotel start at 7-7:30am). it is not cheap (40soles per person) but it is sometimes better to pay more and have a better service!

Room Tip: if during the week end, avoid room 7 close to the street so it is noisy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank laura x
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

this hotel its relatibly new, it has a new second floor and everything is new, from the walls to the beds and sheets and covers, the first floor it´s what you expect of a hotel in arequipa nice cozy and with it´s "arequipeñian" charm..old style house and cute patio and nice little benches to sit on..plants and a beautiful "fierro forjado" iron work windows that makes the hotel more cozy, but it´s main thing is it´s service the girls all of them very nice and caring, one of them even just offer me to get me a taxy for 4am beacuse my plane leaves early in the morning, overall a plus! I will recomende it and will come back. also it´s very quite ( just ignore the cock that sings..) now to be just about 3 blocks from main boulevar street with a lot of restaurants and places to shop it´s a plus also in the same block it´s the tourism police so it you need help with anything about your trip help it´s just a walking distant....

Room Tip: ask for the second floor rooms (room 10) make reservations ahead of time.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ricardos95
Travelling
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

We had stayed in another hostal in Arequipa and wanted to change. We found this one whilst walking around and it is a short walk to the main square. We had a friendly welcome and a double room was 70 soles including continental breakfast. Quiet room, real curtains, great hot water and quick reliable internet. Friendly staff. They kept our bags safe whilst we went on a trek to the Colca Canyon. The only downside was that despite knowing some spanish they didn't note our booking for when we returned from our trek. It wasn't a problem as there were several rooms vacant. Recommended.

Room Tip: There were a couple of rooms in the courtyard without any windows. Suggest you ask to see other roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple