“Amazing mindboggling tour”

A I Travel Tours
Ranked #17 of 58 Tours in Arequipa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Miquel is the best guide I encountered Peru , he showed and explained the real Peruvian live that you will miss as a regular tourist in Peru.

A total must ,highly recomended!

All reviews
in 42 reviews
in 13 reviews
in 6 reviews

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We booked our trip with south america planet and this was one of the options they offered' we had the reality tour that gave a lot of answers on the questions we had during our fitst week in Peru. Miguel told us about the problems in education, economy, health, religion, family matters in a very passionate way. We had also the trip to the colca canyon with Rolllando as a guide and Carlos as an excellent driver. This touring operator is professional and has a vision on the Peruvian society!

1  Thank Marc S
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We did the "Reality Tour" with Miguel and definitely had our eyes opened. This tour shows what it truly is to be a Peruvian, not just the pretty markets and fancy restaurants. Miguel took us to an authentic market, a rock quarry where we saw men who work in terrible conditions 7 days a week simply to afford potatoes for their families, we went to a tiny kitchen for working mothers, a one room daycare which was started to get young girls off the streets and out of dangerous home environments, and a cemetery. It is certainly not a happy, shiny tour but it is absolutely something which should be done. Thank you, and well done to Miguel for putting his heart and soul into his work.

1  Thank hayleyshannon
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We went to the AI Reality Tour with Miguel in Arequipa, Peru in April 2014. Miguel picked us up from our hotel and took us to the following places (and kept us safe and comfortable throughout the process):

-- A local market, where we got to see the local people selling their products, trading, and basically just living. Great place, and learned a lot about how their agricultural system works.

-- An elderly gentlemen who was a stone-worker working in this pit of volcanic ash....the guy was working really hard making bricks to sell....he was very forthcoming and generously allowed us to watch him work and answer our questions.

-- An orphanage -- where we got to see some really cool youngens playin' about and were as curious about us as we were of them.

-- A very picturesque grave site for the poor (as picturesque as a grave-site can be of course), which was nestled in the middle of a scenic valley....this place was incredible -- very unique story behind the organization of the site and very unique head-stones.

-- A local kitchen where those below the poverty line pool together to provide meals for those who need it in the area for free (and I believe was financed by the proceeds of the reality tour among other sources).

I had no idea what to expect on this tour, but I wanted to check it out....I really enjoyed the tour ! Miguel was obviously extremely passionate about this tour in particular, and he stated that the proceeds go towards various social programs that he runs to assist the those below the poverty line. Miguel even takes you to show you where the proceeds go and speak with the people who the run it....Everything seemed legit. Miguel was trained as a sociologist, but makes his living as a tour-guide. He dedicates his time to do this for the social programs to help those in need, and that alone is very admirable. He is a wealth of knowledge, not just about Arequipa, but of Peru as a whole....very interesting to hear about the not-so-public way of life in certain parts of Peru, and his personal views on what's going on.....I was floored by some of the stuff he was talking about.

On another note, as much as I enjoyed the tour, and Miguel.....I was a little uncomfortable about visiting these places at first -- almost as if we were touring the poor, as if they were subjects of a documentary or something.....but then I became more comfortable as we learned that these individuals like to have RESPECTFUL visitors, so they can get their story out there about how things are.....and also contributing by way of the tour fee is a good thing.....any bit helps and it was good to hear their stories.....5 stars on my part! 10 stars for Miguel!

2  Thank Chris D
See more reviews
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This company provide a "reality tour" in Arequipa. This is an opportunity to see and hear what life is really like in Peru. Most tourists see only one side of the place they are visiting - the good things like the churches, the gardens, the beaches. This tour shows you what it is like to live as a poorer Peruvian. Visit a people's market, see a small daycare centre, stop at a cemetery, and visit a stone quarry to see men working to create blocks of stone used for building. Find out that those men work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is not a tour for the weak of heart but it should be mandatory for all tourists to see both sides of the country they are visiting.

1  Thank BCtourists