“Some attention to details would make the difference”

Flying Dog Hostel Arequipa
Santiago, Chile
“Some attention to details would make the difference”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hostel is basically ok, as we arrived our room bathroom was pretty dirty, and they upgraded us to a very nice suite for the same price. The breakfast is ok and there is tea and coffee available all day for free. Staff is nice and helpful too.
But this is not all you need when you travel. I also like to sleep and to leave my stuff in a secure place. At FD there is no closet you can secure with your own lock, at least if you have your private room, don't know about the dorms, and it is always pretty noisy, with people often shouting in the courtyard at three in the night and lots of noise from outside traffic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed, as a couple, at the Flying Dog in Arequipa for 5 days. They get extra points right off the bat for upgrading our room from a shared to a private bath just because we booked for 5 days straight.

The bed was comfortable and clean. Sheets were nice and changed once during our stay. Our room was cleaned daily and towels refreshed. We had a TV in our room (though we didn't use it) and the bathroom was clean with nice fixtures. Nice hot shower with ample pressure. Lots to applaud.

Breakfast was satisfactory but somewhat inconsistent. The first day no fruit was served so we bought our own. The next day fruit was served. Go figure. Coffee is okay, served all day. Loads of tea selections (which is nice). Nice bread, toaster, jams, butter, cereals, and yogurt available as well. Juice is sugary-we skipped it.

The kitchen is fairly clean-this depends a lot on whose staying at the hostel-but the staff did clean it during our stay. Well equipped, including a blender, which we really liked. Best part was that there is a huge shelf of communal food. Rice, pasta, sauces, spices, oils, vinegar, and much more made it so we didn't have to shop much for bulky or hard-to-carry food. We could just get our veggies at the market and make a meal.

They were giving the place a fresh coat of paint while we were there. So a bit smelly for us, but it will look LOVELY for you! The place has CHARM. lovely tall ceilings, old doors and windows, nice courtyard.

Nice place to hang hand-wahed laundry at the back.

There's a bar as well, but it didn't keep us up at night (as we don't go out after 9pm).

There's a nice communal room with zillions of movies, couch and TV and pool table.

The book exchange is kinda sad. But I left a good book there, so hurry up and you might get it!

The staff is friendly, always willing to help. Some english is spoken.

Security is good.

Great location: 4 blocks from Plaza de Armas, 5 blocks from a HUGE market, 2 blocks from loads of restaurants. An incomplete rooftop which, although bare of much decor or chairs, is still a nice place to catch some sun or stargaze.

All together we're very happy with our stay. Will return again and stay at Flying Dog!

Room Tip: The street outside can be quite loud during the morning rush. I would see about getting a room off t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thriftydrifter
Arequipa, Peru
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've traveled through Arequipa twice, lived there Arequipa for the better part of a year, and visited again with my sister after living in the city. So I've stayed at about 5-6 hostels in the city and this is EASILY the best one. Hands down.

The dorms are lovely. We were in a really big one, but it didn't feel that big, had lockers big enough to fit a full backpack, and nice little night stands next to each dorm bed with little lamps on them. Great touch. SUPER comfy beds, super clean sheets, and enough blankets but not too many (sometimes it's tricky with Arequipa-- some nights get quite chilly).

The breakfast was one of the best ones in all of Peru I've experienced. Bread, butter, and jam- yes. But also cheese, fruit, cereal, yogurt, fresh juice, etcetera.

Great public areas and television with two more than adequate computers for guest usage. Pretty good location on the north side of the city centre-- only a 5-10 minute walk to the Plaza de Armas and super close to a few of the sites like the Santa Catalina monastery, San Francisco church, and the nightlife on Calle San Francisco.

And yeah, always SUPER clean-- the bathrooms, the dorms, the common areas, everything. The staff was SUPER friendly and helpful and gave me a late checkout on our last day.

Also a nice little bar with the best drink prices I've seen at a hostel in all of Peru. Impressive!

Only downside is their bipolar dog, Misti. While I LOVE dogs, and she theoretically could be a wonderful addition to the hostel, she's totally bipolar and unpredictable, not such a nice addition.

When we checked in, my sister, also a dog lover, was petting her and she started growling. She didn't tell me this, and I went to pet her 5 minutes later and she snapped at me (keeping in mind that I've lived with dogs all my life and know not to just surprise them or whatever). I slowly went to pet her and put out my hand first and she sniffed it and was fine and then went to pet her and she just out of the blue lost it on me. And then 20 minutes later she approached me and wanted me to pet her and didn't want me to leave...I experienced those kinds of responses from her basically the whole time we were there. Growling one minute, looking for me to pet her the next.

But overall, amazing experience. It's rather shocking that this hostel is affiliated with its sisters in Lima...cuz they're pure garbage by comparison. You can tell the owner(s) or management or whatever don't care as much in Lima as they do in Arequipa. I'm not sure if this is a franchised property but if it is, they should seriously consider leaving the "Flying Dog" brand, because it's SO much better than any of the other ones I've experienced.

Oh, finally, it's a bit pricey for a dorm room in Arequipa at $10/25 soles per night, but it's also a step ahead of the rest. Still, $8/$9 per night would still be a bit more than the average and a bit more appealing to people really trying to experience Peru on a tight budget.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed for 7 nights and got moved to the suite on the last 2 nights. The first room where we were with a matrimonial bed was just fine witha little space to put your laptop and a nice decent small bathroom. Reagrding the suite...well I have never been in a suite before so I loved the the bed, the superior pillows ans the super nice ensuite bathroom. The staff are helpful and courteous, Jonathan who handled was the man in charge of a barbecue they held one day and it was really nice. They do have a dog, Misti, she can bark a little at first but once she gets accustomed to you you'll be just fine. There is a bar in the hotel but we didn't have too much noise in our room, the wort you could get, in terms of noise, are from other guests. But some hostels are just not for everyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hostel is located close to the city center. The staff were very helpful and really friendly. Breakfast was better than the average SA breakfast. Due to it being low season we were upgraded for the two times that we stayed here and both the rooms were very nice and clean. There's free tea and coffee all day and a kitchen guests can use. We booked our Colca Canyon hike with the hostel (it was with Peru Schweiz) and it was very good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

It's abusolutely the best hostel I've ever stayed. Super clean room with ensuite. Big and well-equipped kitchen. Nice old building. Good location. The biggest highlight is the breakfast - it's way above the average of a usual hostel breakfast. Wish I dont have to leave here.

• Stayed January 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed over Christmas and we had a great time with Flying Dogs who arranged a Turkey with great people who stayed there as well.
It's a perfect place for single and couple travellers. It's a colonial style house with comfortable and cozy rooms, great kitchen and terrace are. The dorms also looked very good.
Close to everything and the plaza de armas.
We would go back to stay there again and can recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple