“Delightful lunch”

Chicha por Gaston Acurio
Ranked #18 of 410 Restaurants in Arequipa
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“Delightful lunch”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Of the half-dozen Acurio restaurants where we ate in Peru, this was second only to Cebicharia La Mar in Lima. The service was friendly and helpful, the atmosphere was informal, the location across the street from the amazing Convent was convenient, and then... the food! The kitchen went out of their way to accommodate our preferences, the dessert (created by Astrid, we were told) is one of the best we have ever eaten. It was costly, but worth every sol. This place is certainly worth a detour!

• Visited January 2014

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food only because our waiter cared”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The first two minutes we walked in we got terrible service from a short, pudgy young waiter who cared little if our chairs, table and menus were dusty. I had clearly asked him in perfect Spanish to sit us inside the dining room and not in the patio but he refused. So I approached another waiter who was working in the dining room and explained my problem, to which he welcomed my mother and I to dine inside. From that moment on it was especially magical mainly due to the professionalism of this waiter, the kind that Peru urgently needs to import. We forgot his name because it was over six weeks ago that we visited in Arequipa, but he is from Chiclayo and lived in Spain for decades, which explains why he completely understands the concept of 'The Customer is KIng'. For instance, not only did he take care of us for the whole two hours we spent dining but also looked after our meals, as mine was too salty and he returned it to the kitchen so that it may be made over again. I can confidently state that Gaston should hire this man for a management position as he instinctively understands the client and he has the respectful authority to teach his colleagues, most being clearly incompetent.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank BrouilletM
London, England, United Kingdom
“Nice restaurant in Arequipa”
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant appeared designed by an architect and was smart and airy. The menu was divided into categories: earth, sea, arequipa etc. It was a little confusing, as the starters and mains were in each category, divided only by a line space. The staff had virtually no English and we had virtually no Spanish, but we muddled through. They served a very good selection of breads at the start. I had a main of slow-cooked lamb on a bean purée and my boyfriend had a linguine with prawns and mussels. Both were good without being amazing. My boyfriend had a dessert of purple corn crumble, served in a tartlet case with fior de latte ice cream, which was delicious. The wine list was substantial and helpfully had a range of half bottles, which was all we wanted having had pre-dinner pisco sours. We paid 69 soles for a local red. The service was prompt and helpful despite the language barrier.

2 Thank David G
Paris, France
“Two steps from my hotel and a gastronomic dream”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I just loved this place. Any time you can get to a Gaston Acurio restaurant, you should drop everything and go. Modern interpretation with traditional Peruvian ingredients. Delicious and fun.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Lee O
Arequipa, Peru
“One mediocre experience, one awful one.”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I went to this restaurant on business in April 2013 for lunch. I had the chicharron and it was tasty but nothing special. The homemade bread is quite good. The service was both pretentious and clumsy at the same time.

I brought my girlfriend here on Valentine's Day 2014, and it was a purely crappy experience (except for our second server. I wish I could remember his name off the top of my head-- I think maybe Santiago? But I can't say with 100% certainty. He was very polite, charming, and attentive). First, after making the reservation days in advance and asking for a romantic spot away from any entries, service stations, or bathrooms (and I speak fluent Spanish, so that wasn't the issue-- it wasn't lost in translation), they sat us in the bar between a service station and a door. We ordered drinks and I politely told our server that we would like to wait to order so that we could change tables into the dining room. He said no problem, brought us our drinks, and then 20 minutes later told us that there was no space in the dining room and that we'd have to stay.

EXCUSE ME? I made a reservation for a nice romantic dinner where I was prepared to spend into the hundreds of dollars (a small fortune for food in Peru, that's for damn sure). I asked him, a little bit annoyed this time, to please go speak to a manager and take care of it because I was not comfortable being near a door, service station, and in the bar to boot, where there's absolutely no atmosphere. He came back and said there was nothing they could do and that we had to stay.

So I got up and walked up to the lady in charge of seating, I think she's some kind of manager, and I told her firmly that if she didn't fix the situation, that the restaurant could comp the drinks we'd ordered and we'd find somewhere else to go. She looked visibly surprised and upset at my comments and told me that I needed to calm down (EXCUSE ME? Since when does a restaurant have the right to tell an upset patron to calm down?) and that they'd see what they could do. Less than a minute later, she had a new table for us in the dining room. And moreover, while we were walking through the dining room, there were literally more than a half-dozen tables open still.

So, basically, our first server, "Don Mario," lied straight-faced to us because he didn't want the restaurant to move us out of his section. They never apologized for this nor for seating us in a place I specifically requested not to be seated in.

The service the rest of the night was lovely (seriously, ask for Santiago...great server). We had a bottle of lovely Argentinian Torrontes. The food? Very average like the last time I ate there. We ordered ceviche to start with. A rather meagre portion, for sure. And it wasn't delicious enough to make up for that. It was just average ceviche (and I eat the stuff a TON). Then we had a sample plate of various Peruvian delicacies like causas, chicharrones, and the like. It was, I dunno, non-descript. Not bad, but nothing special at all. And then we finished off with a chocolate dessert which was also just very uninspired.

To add insult to injury, I got quite sick that night and the next day, as did my girlfriend-- the only common meal we shared that day? The one at Chicha. I'm guessing it was the ceviche, but who knows.

Overall, Arequipa has a LOT of better fine dining options. I know Gaston Acurio's restaurants in Lima are held to a much higher standard of quality and service, so if you're gonna try one of his restaurants, maybe go to one closer to his "home".

• Visited February 2014