“Great hotel in an excellent location.”
Review of Los Tambos

Los Tambos
Ranked #2 of 102 Hotels in Arequipa
Reviewed December 27, 2012

we had an excellent stay for three nights here. the hotel staff was superb. our room was slightly noisy as it overlooked the street, but it wasn't much of an issue. the balcony doors muffled most of noise. our complementary breakfast was great and made to order. if we were to go back to arequipa, there would be no question we would be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed December 3, 2012

tripadvisor certainly led me to the right place in Arequipa. While there are certainly less expensive (and more spartan) accommodations elsewhere, Los Tambos provides middle to upper middle class Western comforts in a perfect location. The staff is exceptional and the available cab service to/from the airport made my visit incredibly painless. While not difficult to see that it's an older building at its core (as most buildings in Peru are), tasteful renovations and decor give the appearance of something much newer and familiar, at the risk of losing some Peruvian "character."

As for the service, I was having difficulty tracking down a specialty tour agent that I had been in contact with prior to my trip. It was the eve of our supposed departure and I hadn't been able to get in contact with them or find their office location. The front desk attendant at Los Tambos, Michael, offered assistance when he overheard my dilemma. He started making calls and by the time I got back from dinner the agent was in the lobby apologizing for a mixup with email accounts. Life. Saver. Catastrophe averted!

In addition, I had a packed breakfast prepared for my early departure the next day, a safe place for my bag while on the excursion, as well as a breakfast prior to flight out of Arequipa. All of this was at the suggestion of Michael, further exemplifying the level of service.

I booked directly through their website for non-contiguous nights without any hassle and got a competitive rate, including airport service.

The location is within 2-3 blocks of many of Arequipa's sights and the entrance is well-lit and identifiable.

The wifi within my room had excellent signal and speed. Skype calls were of high quality and my connection didn't drop once.

I highly recommend Los Tambos for those who can afford pay close to Western prices for a Western-style hotel with better than Western service.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank imSoNull
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Just 1/2 block Plaza de Armas... You can walk everywhere, or they will call you a cab. Most cabs cost $2.00 (5 soles). The hotel provides free transfer to and from airport so be sure to email them your itinerary and they will pick you up. Outstanding included breakfast with wide range of choices for juice and for main courses. Roof deck with nice view.

Spotless rooms. Wifi works well in rooms. We found the standard room a bit small and the double bed also a bit small. Rooms with two single beds cost the same, king rooms are available too. Big bathroom with shower only, no tub. Safe and small TV in room. Occasional noise from neighboring buildings but very quiet at night.

We would stay here again but would upgrade to a king room.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara W
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Great location, 2 min walk from plaza de armas. Super friendly staff, very helpful and kind. Make sure they have your email so that they can arrange to pick you up from the airport/station. Transfer is included. They didn't have our contact as we booked through agoda and they wanted to pay our taxi when we arrived!
Room are nicely decorated, modern and functional. Comfy beds and spotless bathroom. But the best is the breakfast!!!! The best I ever had in an hotel as far as I can remember. Absolut quality. Fresh juice, tea or coffee, tasty bread with jams and then you can choose from a range of options: from egg omlette, to fresh fruit-yogurt-cereal or sweet crepes. Everyting is prepared fresh as you order by the cook In the open kitchen next to the sitting area. It's so nice to see him preparing your food. He's very good and quick. Besides, you can also seat and eat outside in a small terrace.
Great dxperience. Highly highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Klodette
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My friend and I both very much enjoyed the hotel during our 3 nights stay (from November 7 to November 10). On arrival we were picked up at the airport by an hotel staff person who greeted us right as we exited the airport, helped us with our baggage and provided us with two bottles of water.

On arrival to the hotel, we were met by the main staff who quickly checked us in and informed us on the various excursions and things to do in Arequipa. Since we wanted to go to the Colca Canyon region, the hotel was able to book us quickly on a tour. On the morning of the tour, they even prepare a small lunch for us to take on our trip.

The hotel is situated at less than 300 meters of the plaza del Armas so a very central location. Our room was clean anf functional. Breakfast was good and they are very flexible: my friend is gluten and lactose intolerant and the restaurant was able to accomodate her need easily. Check out was simple and quick. The wireless was working perfectly and the hotel staff was able to gave us a lot of nice reccomandation and usefeul tips for the next leg of our trip in Puno.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I both arrived on Saturday 18Nov and checked out on Monday morning as we were heading to the Colca Valley. On arrival we were picked up at the airport by Carlos who greeted us right as we exited the airport. Carlos helped us with our baggage and provided us with two bottles of water. On arrival to the hotel, we were met by the main staff who quickly checked us in and led us to our room on the 5th floor. The room was a bit small; however, clean anf functional. Breakfast was good and they try the best they can to fit your needs. The hotel staff made restaurant reservations and the remainder of our Colca tour such as transportation. Check out was simple and quick. Now I know why this hotel receives so many high marks and we concur.

Room Tip: No need for cabs as the hotel is within ealking distance to main historical monument, church, museum...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed there for 6 nights during our trip in Perou. While 6 nights may be a long stay in Arequipa, we had so much pleasure in just relaxing in this beautiful city. This small hotel is well situated and everything is close by. We also had fun with the hotel manager (fluent in French, English, Portugues and other!). The staff was very helpfull.

Many good restaurants close by (ask the hotel).

We had a special rate for 4 night, and they honored this rate for the 2 other nights without a problem (thank you).

The included breakfast is nice (you may even ask for an extra fruit dish!).

I definitly recommend this hotel to others.

Thank you for making this stay a pleasure.

Patrick&Michelle