“Home away from Home!!!”

Hostal La Casa Blanca
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arequipa
Hostal La Casa Blanca
Ranked #68 of 168 Specialty Lodging in Arequipa
oregon
“Home away from Home!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

We stumbled upon this place after already booking a hotel in the area. We immediately fell in love with it. We checked out of our hotel the next day and came here. The hotel is clean, extremely safe, and all the staff is superb. Mercedes, the manager, takes her job as a hostess very seriously. Every one of her guest is one of her "children", and she will go out of her way to accomodate and make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Anything you need just ask and she will make it happen. I wish I could take her home with me! Additionally, they are very serious about their coffee. This is hands down the best coffee I found in all of Peru. Even if you cant stay here, you have to come sit in their relaxing bistro and have a latte. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a home away from home. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to extreme partygoers who like to go out till 1 or 2 in the morning. The hotel does a nice job of trying to keep the hotel area quiet at night so their guests can sleep. Overall, the best find thus far on our month long journey through Peru.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
takeatrip1968, owner at Hostal La Casa Blanca, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

While traveling, my friends and I did not plan ahead and book hostels in advance. As a result, it was often difficult to find available since it was a peak travel time. We arrived in Arequipa and stumbled upon this hostel. There was some hesitation since it was a bit more expensive than we anticipated, however it was worth the money for comfort, free phone to the US (amazing!), hot water, internet, and a wonderful staff.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
takeatrip1968, owner at Hostal La Casa Blanca, responded to this review, February 14, 2010
Thank you for your kind review. We are happy you enjoyed our Bed & Breakfast and our friendly staff. We hope to have you back soon!
Dianna Bartra...owner
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

I was looking forward to staying here after reading the great reviews on Trip Advisor, but unfortunately I didn't have a very enjoyable stay, mainly due to getting woken up by noise. When I first arrived they had no record of my booking, although I'd booked online through the tour company that owns the hostal. However they had plenty of rooms as I seemed to be the only guest during my 3 night stay and according to the checking-in book, no-one else had stayed there in the last few weeks. The room was nice, though sparsely furnished with just a bed and chair, but about 24 hours later they put in a couple of bedside tables and a bedside lamp. The room was comfortable, warm and clean. There was very reliable wi-fi that worked in the room as well as a laptop that was free to use in the cafe. The hostal was in a good location, within easy walking distance of the main sights and restaurants. There was a good cafe in the same building, as mentioned by all the previous reviewers, which served really nice drinks and snacks. Unfortunately they starting setting up the cafe at 6am every morning, clattering chairs and playing loud music, despite there being no customers that early. As my room opened onto the cafe, this woke me up every morning at 6am. A notice in the room said that people would be asked to move from the cafe to the bar at 10pm in the evening, out of consideration to other guests, but cafe staff carried on playing loud music in the cafe until about 11pm every night. Again, this was despite there being no more customers. 11pm obviously isn't hugely late, but coupled with the 6am wake ups and a very early start at the Colca Canyon, I was very tired at the end of my stay at La Casa Blanca. Though the cafe was nice, on my first morning I had to wait an hour to get breakfast because the cafe was so busy with non-guests. When it arrived, the toast was stone cold, though the fruit salad was really lovely. Annoyingly on the first day I was told that breakfast wasn't included but found out on the last day that a continental breakfast would have been included, but I'd ordered other things. The website and info leaflet in the hotel both advertise a laundry service but when I tried to hand in laundry they told me there was no laundry service. I showed them the leaflet promoting the laundry service, they then said the washing machine was just broken. Though they seemed to be washing sheets and towels ok.... Generally this place seemed to be more focused on the cafe than on the hotel guests, though if you can sleep through noise better than I can, you'll probably enjoy staying here as its very comfortable with good food and in a good location!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank BennettSue
phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

I highly reccomend staying at La Casa Blanca. The rooms were extremely comfortable and clean. Not only was it nice, but it was a big plus having a coffee shop right outside in the patio area. Every morning I would wake up and have the Cafe Ole special-- a drink with Baileys irish cream. Delicious!!!

The employees made us feel right at home and helped us with everything that we needed. After a few days it was nice to see their friendly faces as we attempted to communicate in spanglish. All in all I would say this is a great hotel and one that I will return to during my upcoming travels to Arequipa.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

La Casa Blanca was by far the most memorable (unexpected) find on our trip. We happened to stumble into the Hostal while searching for coffee shop. We fell in love with it instantly and gathered our gear from our current hostel, paid a fine and moved in for 5 days. They have this American style cafe in the front enterence which we spent hours at talking with the local staff, a roof top which we hung out at after supper with a bottle of wine... the rooms were amazing but most importantly the staff made you feel incredibly welcomed.

Maria, I'm sorry we haven't sent the Canadian care package yet... I promise we'll get it out to you soon! Thanks again for looking after Rachelle when she hurt!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

I just got back from Peru and I have to tell you that it was one of the best times I have ever had in my life. Before I went to Peru, I have to say I was a little apprehensive. I've heard how hotels can be not clean and can just ruin your whole experience. But boy was I wrong. La Casa Blanca is one of the most comfortable hotels I have ever stayed in. I was dreading of the possibility of having cold showers, but not here. There was hot water everyday! I am not sure what kind of mattresses are used in these rooms, but they are really comfortable. I am the kind of person that if I don't have the right temperature when I am sleeping, I don't sleep very well, but there it seemed to be just right every time. Never too hot and never too cold. The best thing I liked about staying here was not only is it a hotel to stay in but it also has a coffee shop named Cafe Ole. It was great, you wake up in the morning,literally walk outside your hotel door and can have coffee right there. If you want to just grab a coffee on the go, you can do that too! I really loved Arequipa. It seemed like there was always something to do whether it was in the city or taking the bus to a nearby attraction. After being out all day looking at interesting things and buying cheap things, it was great to come back to the hotel and sit down and relax and enjoy a nice cup of tea. The service was excellent. Everyone is very friendly and willing to do whatever they need to do to make your stay enjoyable. If you had a question that they didn't know the answer to, they would find out whatever it was you needed to know. Hifi internet, hot showers, great coffee and smoothies, a nice relaxing time having a drink at the bar, and comfortable beds...can it get any better than that? I was in Peru for 2 weeks and went to 3 different cities and out of the 3 hotels I stayed at, La Casa Blanca didn't even compare to the rest. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! Oh yeah and the food is great!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

I really enjoyed staying at La Casa Blanca on Jerusalen Ave. I would definitely suggest this hostel to anyone traveling through Arequipa.

It has a great location since it's about a four block walk to Plaza de Armas or less than a ten minute walk. Literally across the street is a pizza place called Los Leños which serves quite a few pasta dishes as well. There is a wonderful market close by called I think Fundo el fierro. Everything you need is pretty much within walking distance, and if not, then you can easily get a taxi.

The staff are very accommodating. The rooms were cozy and nice. The first night I fell asleep without a problem; the beds were comfortable. Featured at this hostel is a relaxing patio area, karaoke/bar, not to mention the fabulous coffee lounge. They seriously have the best smoothies. I couldn't get enough of the strawberry smoothie; however, the mango and lucuma are just as delicious! I talked to a passerby in the coffee shop, and he liked the mocha frap! They offer a wide selection of beverages and food. They have a kitchen where I could smell the aromas of home-cooked meals being made - the peruvian food is tasty!

I was surprised the moment I stepped foot inside since it is not your typical lodging. Everyone is amazing. The place is inviting and relaxing, so you should check it out!!! You'll be glad you did.

Stayed May 2009