“Wonderful! Go on your own, not with a guided tour. And be sure to stay overnight.”

Amantani Island (Isla Amantani)
Book In Advance
More Info
$76.00*
and up
Overnight Amantani Island Homestay Experience from Puno
Ranked #126 of 1,253 things to do in Peru
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided tours are the best way to see this remote and friendly island where the cows and sheep seem to outnumber people. Two mountain peaks, known as Father Earth and Mother Earth, make for superb hiking.
Salt Lake City, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Tripadvisor says "guided tours are the best way" to visit this island- NOT SO! It is very easy to organize your own trip and then any money you pay will be going to the locals not to some tour agency. Ask your hostel or any taxi driver how to get to the pier where the boats leave for Amantani (it's the main pier in Puno, you can't miss it). Get there at 8 am or so (I believe the boat for Amantani leaves at 8:30 but better to be safe than sorry). Ask for the boat to Amantani. The boat ride costs something like 11 dollars round trip and is in a comfortable motorboat with a bathroom. It is a 3 hour ride but stops for 45 minutes at the Uros islands so you can see them, so figure on 4 hours for the ride total. At the pier in Amantani, host families wait to pick up tourists. You will be assigned to a family on arrival. You don't have to arrange any of this ahead of time. I stayed in a very comfortable candlelit guest room, attached to a family's house, and ate meals with the family. The food was simple but good. The island is incredibly peaceful and beautiful. I planned to stay one night but extended my stay for two nights because it was so lovely. During the day I went on some pleasant walks around the island. As a single woman, I never felt unsafe. It does help to speak Spanish, as noone speaks English there. I did not feel it was overly touristy. The only touristy area was at the top of Pachatata, where a lot of locals were selling crafts.
I think if you just went for a day trip you might be disappointed because it is a long boat ride to get there and it takes time to soak up the island's relaxing atmosphere.

Visited July 2012
9 Thank Emma B

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Idaho
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“A Back to Basics Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed with a family on Amantani Island. It was the home of an elderly husband & wife & a daughter about 25 or so. They spoke very little English & we knew only basic Spanish but we got by just fine. Our bedroom was on the second floor & consisted of 3 very firm single beds with very heavy blankets. There was a bathroom downstairs with shower, sink & toilet but no water. There was a 5 gal bucket for flushing the toilet. We so take for granted all the luxuries we have. This experience has made me appreciate so much. Our dinner & breakfast were prepared by "momma" sitting on the floor & cooking over a fire in a almost cave like room which is where we ate. In the evening we dressed in local clothing & went to a dance. Let me tell you Poppa danced my feet off & at that altitude my lungs were screaming. An unforgettable time.

Visited May 2012
5 Thank idahospud66
Los Angeles, California
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“Amazing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

We did a home stay on Amantani Island as part of a three island Lake Titicaca tour. The cruise to the island was wonderful. The lake was calm and beautiful and you could see the snow capped mountains of Bolivia off in the distance.

Upon arrival to Amantani we were greeted by many local families. It took just a few minutes to assign everyone to their host before making the trek to the family home. We had the pleasure of staying with Flora who was a gracious hostess, though her young daughter Madelena stole the show.

Our room was quite comfortable and had electricity to light a small lamp. The bathroom was downstairs and consisted of a western style toilet and sink but no running water. The toilet was flushed with buckets of water from a large plastic garbage can kept in the bathroom.

Flora is a wonderful cook and provided us with simple, yet tasty meals. Lunch was fired cheese and bread, a variety of potatoes, and quinoa soup. Meals were served family style in Flora's cozy kitchen.

Our afternoon on Amantani was spent hiking to the top of the island, about a 1.5 mile hike. it was a bit strenuous for me due to health issues but fairly easy for most everyone else in our group. I did make it to the top and was rewarded with a beautiful sunset over lake Titicaca.

After dinner we were dressed up in native garb and taken to the community center for a dance. Music was provided by the local high school band. It may sound a bit hokey, but all in all the evening was quite fun!

After breakfast the next morning we made the long walk back to the boat dock and bid farewell to our wonderful host.

Visited July 2011
5 Thank BWBradford
Alexandria, Virginia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Like nothing else I have ever seen.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

The bluest of blue water and sky. Puffy clouds and greener than green grass. The people live simply, but I admire it tremendously. It is like a little utopia of bliss. I recommend going, and if you can, arrange for a stay overnight with a local family on the island. It was a memorable experience for my husband and I. Please note, there is no plumbing, and only solar power lighting. No heat or air in your sleeping quarters. If you stay with a family, take them a nice gift. My husband and I brought food, as well as batteries and headlamps for them. They were very appreciative.

Visited January 2012
4 Thank Erica G
Springfield, Missouri
185 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“A wonderful cultural opportunity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

We had booked a tour with SAS travel in Cusco for a trip to the floating Islands of Uros, a home stay with a family on Amantani Island, and another island visit (Taquile Island) the following day. It was worth every penny, and more. The family we were assigned to was warm and helpful, and we were accompanied by the host/hostess whenever we needed to go somewhere.

My husband and I found the island people to be friendly, helpful, and lovely. There isn't much English spoken, and I'm not sure if Spanish would have been a great help, either. Most of these people speak Quechera, I believe. But somehow, communication is not a problem.

From the walk to our room (bed, lots of blankets, and a andle for light) to the exploration walk to the top of the island, to the dance in native costume that evening, we had a wonderful experience. I hightly rate this opportunity. If you're traveling to Peru, this is a must.

Visited July 2011