“Uruguayan Steakhouse Where the Locals go for Steak”
Review of El Charrua

El Charrua
Ranked #54 of 724 Restaurants in Cuenca
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2018

El Charrua was introduced to us a few years ago through church friends that were celebrating a group event, so that visit was with a large group. My Sweet Polly Purebred and I were introduced to the spacious dining room, the warm hospitality of the staff, and the fresh, delicious menu offerings of a variety of steak (and sides) then. One order big enough for two people (four for lesser appetites)? Yep, this is the place! One order for two people is the norm here at El Charrua, btw. All the selections are fresh and juicy steak. . . nothing to disappoint you with.

For our second visit, which we came by ourselves, we came a bit early by taxi. The taxi driver rang the bell and the staff responded, allowing us to enter through the metal door while the driveway gate was kept closed (it opens at 7:00 PM). We walked up the wide straight gently inclined driveway up to the walkway - which had one step up - to get to the front entrance. Passed the walking with a medical supply store walker test just fine! Once inside, we were seated and given the two page menu.

Better than average but not overwhelming selection of steak, pork and chicken dishes, with various sides offered. Don't pass up the chance to get two chorizos for $2.99 - they're plump, hot off the grill, and better than Cracker Barrel's in the States We ordered the Lomo Fino, which was more than enough for our appetite for the evening.
I ate a quarter of my 8 ounce steak, and she ate a similar amount of her steak, leaving plenty for "para llevar" or take out to eat at home. The individual salads were nicely prepared, and there's vinegar and dressing on the table with the salt and pepper shakers. Sliced white bread was served with butter (extra given by request) and sauces, while the sliced potatoes came with a cream sauce. . . delicious. .

Family run, excellent service by the waiters, and the bill for two was $35 including two teas and the IVA tax. Our cajera (cashier) called a taxi for us, and they came quickly. El Charrua does a great job for the customer completely and seemingly without effort. No wonder it's a favorite of the Cuenca business and professional community. If you're going for a nice steak dinner, El Charrua's the place.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed September 13, 2017

Ecuadorian cuisine is special and I love it. I've only lived in Cuenca now for 2 and1/2 yrs. This review is totally personal but the thing I miss most is flavorful and tender beef not overcooked. Hard to find in Ecuador. El Charrua has it and will provide the best. They understand rare,medium rare , medium and well done. The restaurant,staff and service is excellent.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed July 27, 2017

I've been wanting to go for a few years now. 3 of us went tonight (Thurs) at 7pm when they opened. First impression was parking. The sloped driveway is lined with planters full of colorful flowers. The parking lot in back of the house was clean, flat, and impeccably maintained. Then, we walked to the front of the house/restaurant via a walkway lined with dozens of potted plants.

The three primary areas of dining were large. All the tables were preset with linens, plates, glasses, and cutlery which looked rather elegant.

Our water was very attentive, professional, and helpful with our questions. Our dinner was comprised of a 'mixto' platter of 1 lb lomo fino and 1 lb of chancho (pork) served on a grill which was shared between 2 of us. The third person ordered medio lomo fino for herself. Bread was presented with 3 different types of sauces, all yum-yum. Dinner came with a side of salad for each person (lettuce and tomatoes) as well as individual servings of potatoes (NOT fries!) in a delicious cream sauce.

The lomo fino was thin cut, juicy, tasty, and TENDER!! The pork also had a nice taste but a smidge on the tough side.

I had heard the chorizo was one of the best, so we ordered a side...2 links for $2.99. Very tasty, indeed.

The bill? 2 pounds of lomo fino and pork, plus another serving of lomo fino, 3 salads, 3 sides of potatoes, a side of 2 chorizos (sausage), basket of bread with 3 sauces, a beer, and a jarra of red wine....came to......$56....less than $20 per person.

All 3 of us were very happy with our virgin experience at El Charrua!! Ok, well, aside from the noisy kids at a few of the other large-group tables and the bright lights (ever heard of dimmers to create a warm ambiance?).

Overall, VERY pleased!!! GO!!!!

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed March 27, 2017 via mobile

Go hungry keep in mind most dishes are for two. And easily the best meal we've had in Cuenca, and the United States. I see in people's reviews that there is no salad dressing with your salad. There is oil, and vinegar on the stand with the salt, and pepper.
The service is amazing, not to mention the scenery inside.
It's a must go kinda place.
We went to the one in Cuenca at 10 de Agosto 5-200 y Antonio Rami'ez
2882 869

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank Fireymom
Reviewed December 30, 2016

I have wanted to write a review for this restaurant for over a year. However, every time I have visited the restaurant I have either forgotten to take a photo or felt awkward with the guest. Last night I both remembered and was with an old friends who actually wanted a photo of the evening.

The Fino Loma here is excellent! Served with salad and potatoes in a cream sauce... Equally delicious. The 1 pound serving easily serves 2 people and the cost was 16.99. We order a pitcher of some of the most flavorful and refreshing limonada for about 4-5 dollars. Plus, last evening we order a side of Churizo ( sausages) wow! Put Johnsonvilles to shame - two cost an additional $2.99. It is sooooo well worth the price.

Local friends in Cuenca's business community introduced me to this restaurant and it immediately became my go-to restaurant for steak. The location: it is not hard to get to, but easy to miss. Going South on Solano (towards Turi) turn left on 10 de Agosto. On the left you will see a plain wall for about a block - El Charrua is the 1 set house at the end of that wall. Address 10 de Agosto 5-200 y Antonio Ramirez. A small white sign with black letters. Tel: 2882-869

Upscale, Bright, Well Appointed Dinning Room.

Date of visit: December 2016