“want a place to relax? and get stuffed! with good wifi!”

Common Grounds Sports Bar & Grill
Ranked #5 of 16 Dessert in Cuenca
Cuisines: American, Bar, Mexican, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: COMMON GROUNDS SPORTS BAR & GRILL, we are a young company created to meet the needs of our growing community with delicious all day breakfasts, bar food, daily lunch specials, sandwiches and steaks! We are a sports loving establishment and strive to provide every sports related event you care to see. We have a big screen and 5HDTV's for you viewing pleasure as well as live music events and Karaoke!
Cuenca, Ecuador
“want a place to relax? and get stuffed! with good wifi!”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

The service is EXCEPTIONAL! The staff are so friendly and helpful because most of them know enough english to help you out if your struggling with your espanol. They also do a nice job of learning names and introducing regulars to newcomers. The owners are down to earth and help expand the organic product network by selling locally made organic products like peanut & almond butter!
This place is a unique communal gathering for those who want to find peace in eachother & there surroundings. All different types of people gather fo the GAMES, CONCERT NIGHTS, AND BREAKFAST BUFFETS! Good variety of delicious food and friendly people.

Owings
“Great place to visit”
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Visited common grounds for lunch. Service was great very friendly and efficient. Tried the philly cheese steak. Best I've had in Ecuador. Piping hot and tasty. Great value for money.

“Don't See It”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was a huge disappointment after having read some of the reviews.I guess it's a great place if you want gringo prices, a gringo hangout and a place to listen to loud rock music on the weekends.Since they service breakfast all day we decided to go for it and that proved to be a mistake.Everything was ice cold,the bacon was cooked til it resembled shoe leather,there was hair on the pancakes and the service was atrocious. Now for the icing on the cake.Never in all my seventy plus years on this earth, having eaten all over the world have I ever been charged for a take home box.We managed to salvage one pancake and for that box to take it home in this establishment had the gall to add 22 cents to the factura.Once we removed the hair portion of the first pancake the rest of it was pretty tasty.It was the highlight of our visit to Common Ground.This is not a place in Cuenca that we would recommend.To many far better options for the same amount of money or for far less.

• Visited July 2014
Nanyave, Owner at Common Grounds Sports Bar & Grill, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Here at common grounds we take customer feedback seriously and were sorry to hear about your negative experience. We are constantly trying to improve our service and quality so as a result of your feedback we will in future ensure that all hot food is served on a warm plate also we have removed the charge for the take home box. we hope you will give us another try. please come and enjoy a complimentary meal and we will try to make your visit more enjoyable. Or you can try our Sunday all you can eat buffet available Sundays 10 am to 2pm We look forward to seeing you.
Cuenca
“Great Value for Sunday Brunch!!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Great coffee shop in Cuenca. Excellent coffee, reasonably priced with free refills! Common Ground now has a great Sunday brunch buffet from 10am - 2pm. It includes all your breakfast favorites such as bacon, sausage, the BEST sausage gravy in Cuenca, and an omelet bar, etc. What a great value for $10.

Cuenca, Ecuador
“A very different venue for Cuenca, but pricey”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I kept reading about Common Grounds in various forums, advertising specials, entertainment, World Cub game watching, etc and wanted to check it out for myself.

First, I had a bit of difficulty finding it. I was driving down 12 de Abril. Just after the roundabout, you can whiz by it without knowing it's there. When I spotted it, I thought...'geez, where am I going to park' as there was no parking on the street. I had to go waaaaay down and around through another neighborhood to come back to CGW from a different angle on another street, on the other side of CGW to discover they had a nice sized parking lot. Once there, I discovered this place is HUGE. Lots of space and a variety of environments. I love all the various places you can plop yourself down...inside, outside, covered patio, umbrella tables on a deck upstairs, etc. Clearly, a great place to handle large crowds, party, and dance.

I wanted breakfast...something that is not very 'common' in Cuenca. The multi-page menu had a lot to choose from for breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks, and bar food. Breakfast is served all day. Nice! But...wait a minute....2 eggs, 3 bacon, hash browns, and toast for $8.50? Ummm....did I wake up in the States? This is Cuenca, EC for cripes sake! That’s 2 hours of wages for an average EC’r, which would translate to $40 for an average North American. I don't remember paying what equates to 2 hours wages for breakfast in the US.

$9 for a shooter of jagermeister/tequila/Bacardi
$2 for soda
$1.75 for bottle of Guitig water con gas
Red Bull $4.50

I wanted a side of hash browns, too. $2 for side seemed a bit much, but what I got was 2 hamburger-patty-sized crispy pieces. They were good, but a bit rich...maybe from the oil they were deep fried in (presuming here).

Skimming the coffee list, I got stuck on one that confused me. Common Grounds Coffee...$4.00??? Huh? $4 for a cup of coffee? Or is it $4 to buy their coffee grounds to take home? I asked my server. She said 'nooooo...that's for Common Grounds coffee with BAILEYS!!!'. Well, how is a customer supposed to know it includes Baileys when it doesn't say one word about it?

My breakfast wrap $4.75 was good, about the size of a standard burrito, but didn’t come with anything else…just a sauce.

Total for my breakfast…..wrap, water, side of hashbrowns, tax, tip $10.

I don't know, I might give it another shot. Maybe for a Fri/Sat night bar scene kinda thing, but for regular dining I can get a lot more for my money elsewhere. Some of the prices on the menu seemed reasonable, others were over-priced. I don't know if this place will succeed, for that very reason. Maybe it will do well on the Fri/Sat night customers and survive in the long run.