“Great Location”

Hostal Posada del Angel
Ranked #6 of 75 Cuenca B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We spent two nights here in late June and were delighted by the location in Cuenca. Very easy to get to the central square and a number of places to eat. The rooms were very spacious and we even had a loft inside our room that we ended up not needing. The bathroom was very small, but was clean and adequate for a short visit.

We loved the common areas around the hostel- especially the breakfast area. Very light and inviting. The breakfast was simple but very quickly prepared and served. Having WiFi was a nice plus and they also have computers for use, but we used our own devices instead. This was by far the cheapest place to have our laundry done on our entire trip. We paid more than twice as much in Banos to have the same amount done.

Wonderful and friendly staff. You won't be disappointed with this hostal.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Speaking no spanish is very challenging but at this hostal there were no problems. The menu was done in both spanish and English. The front desk along with the owners entire family spoke great English even though I believe they are from Argentina.

When I first arrived I wanted to get all my clothing washed since I just spent a week in machalla. Unfortunately I left $75 in one of my pockets. It is reassuring that this place has the an honorable staff. They returned the money to me the same day. I new from that moment that I was in good hands.

The front staff asked me when I arrived if I would like downstairs or upstairs which is quieter. I chose down stairs because I didn't feel like carrying two heavy suitcases up and down stairs even though the staff I am sure would of helped. Anyway the downstairs is a little noisy and to no surprise the noise can be attributed to this on very loud New Yorker, surprise surprise.

My last day I asked for a late check out because I wanted to sleep my entire bus ride to Quito. Since my stay was as perfect as it can get I wasn't surprised of his answer. Stay as long as you like.

This place is definitely first class all the way.

Room Tip: Choose the upstairs
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank rmk1971
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Only a 6 block short flat walk back to the central square. Plenty of common space to lounge and relax around what felt like an enclosed inside courtyard. Timber floors squeak but adds to the atmosphere I suppose. With a narrow stairway to carry our bags up to the third floor, it was a small price to pay to be away from the "others". Internet slow on hostal 2 computers but wi fi OK in large common area.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank BruceSL_NZ
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We were pleased with this hotel which is about a 6 block walk to the central square of Cuenca.

Our room was small--too small to sit around but they have nice open areas for sitting and reading.

The staff was very friendly.

They also run an Italian restaurant (Italian food seems to be very popular in Ecuador) in the hotel. We were sceptical but tried it and found the food to be very good!

Room Tip: There seem to be 2 choices. You can take a room on the street and hear the traffic or a room openin...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank tlc69
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I hadn't made a reservation yet for Cuenca and in another city a couple recommended this hostal. It was also recommended by Lonely Planet so I decided to stay here. Unlike some places, the good ranking in Lonely Planet hasn't gone to its head. The place is still great, reasonably priced and within walking distance to everything.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 21, 2012

A handsome little place with a great restaurant. Full of local information. Warm rooms despite the lack of heating and great staff on the desk. Thanks for arranging my trip to Guayaqil.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2012

From the good price I really expected to turn up to a bed in a crummy old room, but I was so thrilled to find such a quaint little hostal with such friendly staff and a packed out Italian restaurant with ooze smells you can only salivate from!The room is perfect, free tea and coffee offered down in the restaurant and absolutely love the colourful blue and yellow colour scheme!I can't help but feel I am robbing them at the cheap price I am paying for the fantastic service I am getting!The staff were also very helpful, filling me with leaflets on what to do in the surrounding area and maps of how to work my way back to the hostel safely. They organised a giuded tour to the nearby park which I am looking forward to on Saturday!Looking forward to breakfast and a fullpacked day of sight seeing tomorrow!This should not be called a hostal, but could pass for at least a 3 star hotel any day!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo