All reviews business hotel steam room excellent hotel internet connection rooms are clean visit cuenca old town block cathedral
Reviewed March 22, 2016

I had the misfortune of staying in this hotel last week for 6 nights as part of a tour.
The hotel is right in the middle of a construction zone which I understand has been going on for 3 years. My room was too small for 2 people. It had no ventilation which
required opening the windows which faced the construction. The noise was constant and went on late and started early. It was virtually impossible to sleep.
If you look forward to a shower in the am, make it a cold one since the hotel is frequently out of hot water.
Sorry, but I cannot say anything good about this place. There are some other decent choices like for example the Santa Lucia which is about two blocks away.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled with friends
Pedro Jose V, Gerente at El Dorado Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2016

Dear angarolaj,

I am deeply sorry to know that you feel you had the misfortune of staying with us; I am deeply confused about this since you were part of a tour group of 24 guests and we had no complaints from the tour leader, the tour guide nor the rest of the guests.

Indeed our street is closed right now due to the construction of the new electric tram which is schedule to end by June 2016. It is important to remark that these works in our street started on July 2015 and not three years ago as you mentioned, unfortunately we do not have control on this.

I have been informed by the front desk that you were moved twice to different rooms in the back of the hotel and the construction in order to prevent as much as possible the noises.

About the temperature, Cuenca has a temperature of 12-15 degrees Celsius average year around, that is why, us and I presume all the other hotels in the city do not have air conditioned rooms.

Regarding the problem with the hot water, our maintenance department has explained me that this happened just one of the mornings during your stay, and unfortunately it was caused by the works on the street.

We are very sorry that our services were not up to your expectations but I do believe that it is extremely important to explain in detail your comments so that other travelers can have a clear idea of what happened during your stay with us.

Atentamente,

Reviewed March 13, 2016

The El Dorado hotel is just around the corner from the Plaza Abdon Calderon in downtown Cuenca, Ecuador. The hotel epitomizes the boutique style, with luxurious rooms hosting large comfortable beds, with luxuriant sheets and pillows. My room was on the 7th floor with an incredible view out over the hills of Cuenca. The restaurant and especially the breakfast buffet are superb. The staff is friendly and professional and they happily make excellent recommendations for food and sight-seeing. A definite must for staying in Cuenca. The only downside currently (i.e. spring 2016) is the ongoing construction of the new trolley line down the center of Gran Columbia Ave which can make for noise and walking around difficult. However, there was no effect on my very restful and quiet sleep.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled on business
Pedro Jose V, Gerente at El Dorado Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2016

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at El Dorado Hotel with other travelers around the world.

I am so pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and took advantage of our strategic location just one block away from the main plaza.

In short time the construction of the new electric tram will finish and we will enjoy a new method of transportation.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we hope to have you back as our guest in a near future.

Reviewed March 10, 2016 via mobile

Tour group I was with stayed here for 6 nights. The location is right in the center of town so the main square, shopping and plenty of restaurants are within walking distance. At the moment there is construction right in front of the hotel as the city prepares for an electric train line which will be very nice once it's done. So you may want to ask for a room that does not face that street as it is noisy. With the weather in Cuenca there is no heat or air conditioning and being able to open the windows is great but the construction workers begin early and end late. The rooms are comfortable. In my room there were two full size beds. Our bathroom had a shower tub combo but other people said their rooms had walk in showers. The couples had rooms with king size beds. The breakfast buffet is plentiful with traditional American selections like omelettes, cereal , bacon , sausage, a variety of breads, rolls, and plenty of traditional Ecuadorean foods too which are always delicious. The staff is friendly and are always walking around serving coffee or picking up dirty dishes. The front desk staff speaks very good English. We had a group dinner upon arrival which was delicious, cream of tomato soup, grilled chicken with a sauce, passion fruit cake and tomato tree juice. They were a little short handed with the wait staff but the food came out hot to everyone. The bar has happy hour every day except Sunday, 2 for 1 drinks but not wine. Wines are mostly from Argentina and the pours are exactly 3 ounces as we watched the bartender measure it. You can also purchase bottles if you want for your room as the grocery store which is just a few doors down does not carry wine. And there are wine glasses and a cork screw in the room. There is a tiny exercise room. We found this to be a good place to stay with a great location. If you are going to do a bunch of walking front desk has a great city map. It's a safe city to walk around day or night.

Stayed: March 2016

Dear KBR99,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at El Dorado Hotel with other travelers around the world.

We are so glad that you took advantage of our privileged location right in the center of the historic part of Cuenca, indeed the construction of the new electric Tram complicates a little bit the traffic but in short time these works will finish and we will count with a new method of transportation.

I am pleased to know that the quality of our facilities, food and service was up to your expectations and hope to have you and your group back, please remember that this hotel is and will be always your home in Cuenca and we are pleased to have you as our guest.

Reviewed February 15, 2016

This was my first trip to Cuenca Ecuador and my first stay at the El Dorado. I had heard excellent reviews from others and decided to stay here. All that I heard lived up to its expectations. The staff were absolutely wonderful. So helpful with everything. The location of the hotel is the best. The famous park in the center of town is right around the corner. The room was nice. One of the reason I also picked this hotel.. It had the modern, clean and updated feel I look for in a hotel. The bed was comfortable as well. The best part of this hotel stay was the kitchen/restaurant/head chef. I have a special diet that most restaurants/hotels will not accommodate, but the El Dorado had no problem at all making sure I could keep up with my dietary restrictions. This was the best hotel stay I have ever had. I plan to stay here again when I return to Cuenca!

• Stayed: February 2016, traveled solo
Pedro Jose V, Gerente at El Dorado Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2016

Dear leonard5000,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience at El Dorado Hotel with other travelers around the world.

I am so glad and pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, took advantage of our privileged location buy specially that the quality of the service provided by our staff exceeded your expectations, that is exactly what we strive every day at El Dorado Hotel. I will immediately share your comments with them specially with our Executive Chef who was delighted to assist you in all your needs.

Please always remember that this hotel is and will be your home in Cuenca and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed December 28, 2015

We went here for Christmas day dinner as there was little open...what a find !! The food ...excellent ...the service ...excellent ...the ambiance ...excellent !!! When we left we couldnt get a taxi...the waiter even walked a whole block to get one...to no avail so the maitre'd took us home in his own personel car !!! Hows that for service !!

• Stayed: December 2015, traveled with friends
Pedro Jose V, Gerente at El Dorado Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2015

Dear Chewy10,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful Christmas Eve experience at El Dorado Hotel´s restaurant with other travelers around the world.

I am so satisfied knowing that you found our restaurant, food and service up to your expectations and for our restaurant´s captain Mr. Segundo Barrera was a real pleasure to assist you with your transportation, I will immediately pass your comments to him.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and wish you a Happy New Year on behalf our entire staff!