“Stayed three nights and then came back for another” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Boutique Santa Lucia
Ranked #8 of 60 Hotels in Cuenca
GreenLeadersGold level
Midland, Texas
“Stayed three nights and then came back for another”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed three nights in two rooms just before Christmas 2013 and then moved to a hotel outside the city, but we loved the Santa Lucia hotel and staff so much, we moved back for our last day in the county. We loved the service and the food there is fantastic! It became our "home" in Cuenca. Make sure you eat dinner at the hotel.

Room Tip: If it's hot, ask for a room with no exterior windows so you get an air conditioner! Our single...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Warren B
CornelioV, Director General at Hotel Boutique Santa Lucia, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Once again, thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you soon. And remember that this is your house in Cuenca!

Cornelio Vintimilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed five days at Santa Lucia Hotel.
Wow what a beautiful Hotel. We could not have picked
a better place to stay. This hotel was restored to perfection.
The caring staff and food at the restaurant was five star
by any countries standard. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank glaube2013

SATX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

Agree that the hotel's room are overpriced. The hotel is nice but needs maintenance and my bed was small for 2 people. It was a full bed, I had requested a comfortable bed for 2 people but I could not get a Queen size bed.

Room Tip: They need to contact the hotel and request for the facilities they are looking for and if they can n...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CornelioV, Director General at Hotel Boutique Santa Lucia, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Santa Lucia Hotel with other travelers. We are really sorry that your expectation were not surpassed during your stay with us . I will immediately verify your comment regarding the maintenance inside the hotel in order to improve it.

Nottingham England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

The hotel is a converted townhouse in the old town of Cuenca and well located for site seeing. There is a central courtyard which is now covered by a glass roof and used as the restaurant.
The rooms are large and well appointed and are furnished in the style of the building.
The bedroom was hot at night (unlike most hotels in the hgihlands) and this required the window to be open which led to quite a lot of traffic noise after about 6am. In addition there is a constant chirping from the pedestrian crossing just down the street. This should be avoidable by having a room at the back.
The food was good and the wine selection satisfactory. The bar is noisy with 2 televisions but you can have your drinks in the lounge upstairs or adjoining the restaurant.
The staff were very helpful and the breakfasts were good. The old town is delightful and most of the sights are within walking distance.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back to avoid street noise
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adrian Ross
CornelioV, Director General at Hotel Boutique Santa Lucia, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Santa Lucia Hotel with other travelers. I am very glad to know that your expectations were surpassed with our buffet breakfast and that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff.

Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

A trip to Cuenca is not complete without a visit to Giovanni and the Trattoria at Santa Lucia! We have heard that the Boutique Hotel is lovely, though we have never stayed there. We do, however always visit the lovely restaurants and lounge.

Before I talk about our favorite- The Tratorria with it's majestic courtyard venue and romantic ambiance- for lunch or for dinner- I must first tell you that the INTI is the first place we discovered here and a fun place to come for a casual meal- a beautiful venue with it's trompe l'oile and rustic feel. The menu is regional with Ecuadorian fare- my husband had a secco de chevre (a goat stew) that was fantastic.

Next the Moshi Moshi is a cocktail lounge on site with a 2 for one Happy Hour Daily (Check about this for weekends. I can't really believe it's true all week)! Any drinks apply and it's a trendy, cute place to come for cocktails.

We first found INTI a few years ago and since then we have discovered and so fallen in love with the Trattoria that we can not come here without visiting it and having a performance by Giovanni, who makes the menu specials come alive with his knowledge and enthusiasm for the food and the wines. When we visit Cuenca we have to visit Giovanni!

The Trattoria is in the central courtyard that is present in all these beautiful Ecuadorian patrimonial properties. The Trttoria is under a glass ceiling, has gorgeous plantings including a huge tree, ambient lighting and heat and a wonderful menu which includes creative Italian and regional selections. We usually end up ordering something from the specials, the gnocchi is delicious, and really, I don't think you can go wrong ordering anything.

We usually don't have room for desert but it is spectacular. Specials and creme brulee are what come to mind off hand.

Nice selection of wines and Giovanni will never steer your wrong if you tell him what you are looking for.

Love this restaurant. It's one of our absolute go to's when in town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mtnchkbek
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Santa Lucia Hotel with other travelers. I am very glad to know that your expectations were surpassed with our Restaurant and that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff.

King City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 days and were impressed by everything. We stayed in a 2 level suite which was very clean and comfortable with beautiful furnishings. The staff at the front desk, waiters, cleaning staff were all very friendly and eager to respond to our requests. The courtyard dining room was beautifully furnished, the food was excellent, and the waiters were very helpful - even preparing food for us that was not on the menu.
The hotel is centrally located in the old section of Cuenca and within walking distance of museums, shops, banks etc. The only negative thing that we encountered was the strong smelling room deodorizer which seemed to be the custom in the old section (we checked Mansion Alcazar which had been our first choice, but not available for the 3 nights of our stay, and it was the same re: room deodorizer). As it turned out, we much preferred the Hotel Santa Lucia, and were happy that that's where we ended up staying. When we pointed out the scent issue to the staff, they immediately brought up a machine to our room to clear the strong scent; this along with keeping the doors to our balcony open, cleared the problem.
Because it's an old hotel without a lot of soundproofing on a busy street, the traffic noise was a bit troublesome by 7:00 am, but we got up early to start our exploring, so it was not an issue. Otherwise, it was very quiet for sleeping. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street side would probably be quieter, but the traffic noise stopped by 11:00pm...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Barb R
CornelioV, Director General at Hotel Boutique Santa Lucia, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Santa Lucia Hotel with other travelers. I am very glad to know that your expectations were surpassed with our restaurant and that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff. I will immediately verify your comment regarding the smell inside the room in order to improve it.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel Santa Lucia while I looked at Cuenca as a viable place to retire. I stayed a total of two nights during my time in this magnificent city.
As a Culinarian and a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, I know, understand and value quality lodging and food service.
I feel the Hotel Santa Lucia is the finest Hotel in Cuenca for the price paid. I was impressed with the attentiveness from the front desk staff, the restaurant staff and the owner himself who was on property many hours of the day. He was easily approachable and even went out of his way to see that I had an English speaking driver/tour guide so I could see Cuenca without any problems.
I was very pleased with Hotel Santa Lucia and I will stay there again when I return to the city of Cuenca.

Room Tip: Any room away from the street side of the building would be my best advice
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank steven H
CornelioV, Director General at Hotel Boutique Santa Lucia, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Santa Lucia Hotel with other travelers. I am very glad to know that your expectations were surpassed with our restaurant service and that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff.