“They got everything wrong”
Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Ranked #269 of 511 Restaurants in Cuenca
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Charlevoix, Michigan
“They got everything wrong”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My sister stopped in for a chicken shwarma sandwhich one day and it was decent so we decided to get a carryout dinner a couple days later. What a mistake.

We ordered chicken biryani (spicy, please) garlic naan and chicken shwarma. The restaurant was nealy empty and we waited about 15 minutes for our order,

We had to move from where we were waiting because two of the waitstaff were smoking in the doorway and the smoke was blowing in on us,

When we returned to our apartment we found that they had left out the garlic naan. The chicken shwarma was as entirely driednoutnand the bead was hard and stale. They gave jus two orders of biryani but it was was dry, bland and essentially tasteless.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank foodielovetotravel

Penticton, Canada
“HOTTER PLEASE.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My 3 favorite foods, in order, are Indian, Thai & Italian, so when my wife & I moved to Cuenca in July, I was thrilled to see an abundance of Italian restaurants, but alas, no Thai establishment.
While I saw the Taj Mahal, I was told by a pair of tour guides we had hired..."don't go there ".
They were very uncomplimentary about it, & in fact very critical.
Well, fast forward 7 months & last Wednesday my wife & I decided to give it a try.

OK...the decor leaves a lot to be desired......a very big room with several tables scattered thruout, & long booths against the windows, that truly are in need of updating.
But once you move past the decor, you are very pleasantly surprised by a delightful host who seats you & gives you an extensive menu.
Very pleasant surprise, the menu is in both Spanish & English...good job.
The selection of dishes is extensive....beef, chicken, lamb etc. & several starters.
We ordered the vegetable pakoras...excellent, delicious pieces of vegetables in a savoury Indian sauce, deep fried & crispy....among the best I've ever had.
We both followed this with the main dish of chicken pieces in a spinach sauce....excellent...fresh pieces of white meat chicken in this rich spinach sauce cooked to perfection.

The food was excellent, my only wish is that they make it spicier, & also try to keep the dishes warmer once served....maybe some warming plates.

Overall, we were delighted we finally visited Taj Mahal...as the only genuine Indian restaurant in Cuenca it deserves a lot of credit for trying to provide good Indian food.
A few dollars spent on decor & spicier food would make this an A-1 establishment.

• Visited February 2013