All reviews common areas private room toasted bread fully equipped kitchen spacious rooms south america hot shower good size museum hostel ecuador nomad intersection cons pros calle
Selected filters
Reviewed May 22, 2019 via mobile

We spend one week at the Alter Native hostel. As digital nomads, we needed a nice quiet place to catch up with some work. This place is perfect, the room is bright and super clean, common areas are amazing and well designed. The staff is lovely and very helpful. The hostel has a bar next to it where we had nice breakfasts at a super reasonable price. Love this place so much, so sad we had to go.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2019

I arrived early morning after my flight from Quito. My check in was so easy and quick. I handed my passport and within minutes I was in my room. I removed my shoes and slept. I was so tired I did not hear anything. Then I left for the entire day to do activities and meet with friends.
During arrival, I noticed the building layout and it is not very crowded with "WC" that is absolutely clean. The layout is so wide open, a circular entry with skylight in the middle and lots of couches for resting areas. The staff was very friendly. There are tables outside up and down for the smokers. Even my private room is a good size and bed is comfortable. It is modest, no closet but has a ledge and a nightstand.
I returned in the night and stayed in the kitchen and met with nice travelers. The location is central. I would have given this place a five star but there was only one criteria that held me back. Traffic is so loud. It eventually quieted down late in the night. If the noise does not bother you, then go for it. It is a good value.
So I had a quick change of heart and though I have been to Cuenca several times, I decided to leave early and go to the coast. Follow me there.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2019 via mobile

Pros - nice clean, modern hostel with comfortable beds. Good kitchen area and pleasant common areas. Nice touch you get a discounted breakfast next door.
Cons - a little too far from the city centre. Dorm room next to reception so lots of disruption and noise from the main hallway.
Overall an ok stay on the edge of Cuenca.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2018 via mobile

I loved AlterNative so much! The art and set up were amazing and instantly made me feel at home. The breakfast in the mornings and the baked goods at the front desk were so good! The area where AlterNative is located is beautiful and so scenic!

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

My original plans were to only stay 5 days but I ended up extending because the hostel (and Cuenca) are just so great! The hostel was very clean! The staff was just amazing at making you feel at home and comfortable. The breakfast included was amazing for me as a vegetarian but some may want to add eggs for a dollar. The cafe attached is so nice and offer delicious homemade desserts and the coffee is of high quality! The gorgeous pumapungo museum is located right across the street, and with a free entry and stunning views, it’s well worth the visit!!! Would HIGHLY recommend! Thanks for an awesome stay guys!!!

Date of stay: July 2018