“Rio Tomebamba is Beautiful for walks”
Review of Rio Tomebamba

and up
Cajas National Park and Cuenca City Tour
Ranked #3 of 84 things to do in Cuenca
More attraction details
Owner description: Separating the colonial section from the modern residential areas of the town of Cuenca, this river features scenic walking paths along its north bank and several Inca ruins.
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We live in a U.S. city with a major river running through it similar to Cuenca. And, the shorelines have been improved to include walkways, benches etc. There is also a bi-annual trash pick up to keep it clean.

Using my own experience as a baseline I wasn't expecting much knowing how trashy riverways can get in many developing countries.

I must say Rio Tomebamba is an exception. They have cleaned up the trash, planted grasses along the river banks, installed walkways and benches. It's a centerpiece for the city, a model for other cities to follow and job well done.

It feels absolutely safe to walk there during the daytime. I'd avoid nighttime as I've heard there have been some robberies.

1  Thank Alverda3
There are newer reviews for Rio Tomebamba

Reviewed November 7, 2012

You can walk along the Tomebamba for hours and not get tired of the scenery. A very pleasant walk. Make sure you check out the buildings along the river. You will also find some graffiti that could easily be considered art.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Incas appreciated beauty as much as people in the 21st century. One of the scenic rivers in Los Cuatro Rios de Santa Anna is Rio Tomebamba. You have yo walk along it to enjoy it.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I had read about the rivers running through Cuenca. I am girl from the river town of Cincinnati where the Ohio River runs through. It isn't the Bosphorous or even the Mississippi but it is a "river".

When I got to see Tomebamba I was taken aback because I was expecting a "river"...it is really beautiful stream with wonderful rocks throughout it's flow. It reminds me of something I have seen in the Smokey Mountains.

Frankly, its' simplicity it makes it that much more beautiful to walk along. Cuenca has a simple and charming beauty and the Rio Tomebamba is certainly an unforgettable part of her charm.

1  Thank Luv2GoSomewhere
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed on the river, while in Cuenca. It lulled us to sleep each night. Every morning, we walked along the banks, on our way to El Centro.