“Moliendo cafe” 4 of 5 bubbles

Moliendo Cafe
Ranked #8 of 487 Restaurants in Cuenca
Cuisines: Latin, South American, Colombian, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Azogues, Ecuador
“Moliendo cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

The place was busy when we visited for lunch on a Saturday. The atmosphere was really nice and the staff very friendly. The food itself was delicious but there are many Colombian dishes missing from the menu. The place does have a nice menu and taste for South American palates.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“Doesn't look like much from the exterior...HOWEVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We ate here last night with a friend who recommended it. I ordered the Moliendo Cafe Arepa and another friend got the Chicharron, both of which were excellent. The vibe was relaxed and family oriented. The owner was a very welcoming guy and he made the meal that much better. This is a prime restaurant in a prime location and the prices are very cheap for the quality you receive. A Cuenca MUST!

• Visited October 2013
Guanajuato, Mexico
“A jewel of a find in D/T Cuenca”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

"Peregringo" and I had read the name of El Moliendo Cafe in an Ecuador guide but promptly pushed it to the back of our minds. Wandering the streets on a Saturday seeking a place to dine after visiting the Pumapungo museum and gardens and tiny bird rescue center, we were disappointed to find many of the choices we sought completely closed. On the way back toward the square to repeat a restaurant we had already visited, we stumbled around a corner to land right in front of El Moliendo Cafe, completely packed. A good sign. But someone quickly left and we were seated by the owner, a Colombian, ordered with his assistance, and were treated with a scrumptious home-style Colombian meal, amply served and savory to boot.

As I was sojourning for a few days in Bogota on return, he gave me the names of three typical dishes that I should not miss in Colombia, which I did try, and must agree that they were first rate.
Simple, flavorful fare. Varied choices, and we hear the coffee is fabulous as well although we did not partake.

Visited August 2013
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
“Absolutely amazing! (GF heaven)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have a story to tell. I have been into El Moliendo at least five times. Every time has been absolutely delicious, but this time blew them all away. During my last trip to El Moliendo, I saw another couple order the Chicken and Mushroom Arepa. It looked absolutely but had a thick sauce that the owner's wife said included wheat. Sadly, I am gluten free and would not be able to try it, but that did not stop me from asking the amazingly kind and accomodating owner to possibly make me a special. I asked if they could make me this dish within the wheat and they were more than happy to help. The owner's wife herself threw me together a dish very quickly that consisted of the arepa tortilla, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and chicken. At first I was disappointed that there was no sauce, but after asking for a bit of cheese and digging in, my taste buds were on overdrive. The vegetables were cooked perfectly and were very well seasoned. Everything was fresh, especially the cheese. Although it may not have been traditional Columbian, this plate was exactly what I needed. It was hearty and oh-so-comforting. Eaten with a hot glass of "cedron" tea (lemon verbana) and followed with a gluten free milk and coconut cookie, this was definitely my best culinary experience in Ecuador, and I really don't think anything will top it. For only $4 in total, it's an absolute steal! I'll be going back tomorrow for one last meal before I head home. I even recommended to the owner that he menu!
If I could, I would give this restaurant 10 stars. Great service, great atmosphere, great people, great prices, and most importantly great food!

• Visited September 2013
Ollantaytambo, Peru
“Fantastic Value and Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I eat in this place daily. It is under $4 with a drink and a full plate. Generous portions. I never can finish the plate. Owner is attentive and kind. It is always full so get there early. Share your table with other people so they can have a sit down as well. I highly recommend this place.

• Visited August 2013