“Our go to place for lunch”
Review of Nectar - CLOSED

Nectar
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Located in the heart of the historical district of Cuenca, Ecuador, Nectar Tea House and Gallery offers the most nutricious alternative food and drinks in the area. We have an Andean and International fusion menu which changes on a daily basis. We use moslty local and organic grains, fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Whole food Vegan, and raw food are part of our menu. One will find wheat gluten, and dairy free choices. There are no refined sugar and salt used in our cooking! Most of our dishes are prepared in traditional clay pots!
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I love it, quality food, a simplistic, healthy menu, best of all, they have a meal of the day which takes the thinking and decision making out of the process (lazy me). I get this every time, and it is different everyday. Prices are more than reasonable, staff is very friendly, what a great formula. We will have lunch there as much as possible on this current trip to Cuenca.

2  Thank Pixelvt

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Yanni & Tania make excellent juices, teas, food and provide a warm, and healthy ambiance! I especially like the potato tortilla! And if you're having stomach issues, Yanni has the cure!

1  Thank Aloharitch
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The menu of the day (menú del día) is good, simple food and very reasonably priced. We've eaten there three times and very much enjoy it.

I believe that they have Thai food Thursday-Saturday evenings, but haven't been able to make it yet. They also host live jazz some weekend evenings and it is supposed to be really good.

2  Thank Siegfried2K
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Disappointed with the food. As a vegetarian, it is difficult to find quality options in Cuenca. Nectar was a disappointment. Tried it twice. Done trying.

Lucia Y, Owner at Nectar, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed. By the way you write your review though it makes us think that you never really visited our Tea House. If you did visit, you would have experienced that we serve only vegan, whole food. Nectar is the only Vegan eatery in the province, and one of three in the country. There is no other restaurant that serves quinoa instead of rice full of pesticides. These are the Andes and we try to serve as mush as local produce as possible (quinoa, oca, mashua, camote, melloco, babaco, chamburo). These foods were here before the europeans colonized and they grow without pesticides. We are disappointed ourselves when we get low reviews from people that really don't have information what quality food really means. And last but not least please if you visit any restaurant and the staff asks you how was everything, instead of just saying OK, be honest and give them your honest opinion, so your feedback can help them correct mistakes or their answer can inform you of qualities that you might be unaware of... Thank you

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have not visited this restaurant during the daytime, but have been here twice for dinner. The Waldorf Salad is excellent (as is the rest of the menu) and the atmosphere is charming as others have mentioned, but the real jewel is the musical entertainment! At night, this restaurant is turned into a jazz club managed by Jim (didn't catch his last name) who formerly owned jazz clubs in New York City. He has only been at it for four months, but has already transformed this restaurant into the happening place in Cuenca. With help from some excellent musicians, there is always something different and surprising happening here in the entertainment department. Tonight, for example, we were entertained by Jim's trio. He was on piano with an excellent guitarist (a local music professor) and an equally competent trumpet player joining him. I was instantly transported to the jazz club I used to hang out at in Santa Cruz, CA. We were also treated to a concert by a choir from the local university, and finally, some local Ecuadorians took over and played some lively gypsy and dixieland jazz comprising of a clarinet, bass clarinet, kazoo and banjo. Who would have contemplated that? Then Jim and his trio took over for the rest of the night. Yes, the food, the atmosphere, the service is excellent, but this restaurant is quickly becoming one of the top draws for entertainment in Cuenca. You won't be disappointed. Oh, and the donation box was mentioned but no set amount was pushed on customers the night I was there. But I know I would certainly be charged a cover charge for top notch entertainment like this back in the U.S. Dinner for my wife and I and three glasses of wine and coffee was $24.00.