Hotel Los Balcones
$107
$216
$70
$42
Casa de las Rosas(Cuenca)(Great Value!)
$29
$50
$35
$58
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Oro Verde Cuenca(Cuenca)
$75
$65
Casa San Rafael(Cuenca)(Great Value!)
$34
$29
Kuna Hotel(Cuenca)
$68
$55
Priceline
All reviewstop flooramazing showerthird floorhighly recommend hotelbalcony overlooking the streetcharming hotelrooftop terracehardwood floorseggsstreet noisethe hotel staffold buildingincluded breakfastreception deskbreakfast roomjuicea wonderful place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We chose Los Balcones based on location, price and trip advisor reviews for our recent trip to Cuenca.  The night after our 5 night stay at Los Balcones we stayed at a large upscale American chain hotel in Quito, and we were quickly reminded how much we enjoyed Los Balcones.  The property is in a well restored traditional style home,11 rooms on 2 floors.  The decor was perhaps slightly fussy for our taste, but tastefully done.  Breakfast is included and served on the 3 floor balcony, with space heaters for those chilly mornings.  Breakfast offered a choice of cooked items from waffles to omelette to French toast.  A variety of juice, my favorite was raspberry, is offered and lots of coffee. High praise has to go to Henry and his staff. When we couldn't get our US cell phone to work we were offered the use of their magic jack phone.  Jonathan went above and beyond to answer our many many questions and seemed to have all the answers.  Didnt learn all staff names but each one treated us like family.  We did find that the complimentary wireless service was not reliable, but a small price to pay for a great experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tryingfor100
Reviewed October 25, 2012

When I arrived in Cuenca, I was sleep deprived from staying in big hotels in Quito. I was met by John who whisked me to the hotel in short order--on time, unlike other people I had relied upon. He checked me in and carried my bags up three flights of steps. He gave me the choice of 2 rooms. I ultimately chose the one at the side toward the back and was rewarded with a great night of rest. The bed was just like the one at home! The pasta I had in the restaurant was the best dinner I had while I was in Ecuador, served by John. The owner, Henry, addressed me by my name as I came and went and accomodated my request for a late check-out because my plane did not leave until 8:30 p.m. He also directed me on how to get around and where to catch the double-decker bus to tour Cuenca. The room was super comfortable and clean and the shower was warm and the water had pressure. I loved this hotel and would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys personal service and a great night of sleep!

E. Reeves, Kansas City, MO

Room Tip: The ones closer to the back were quieter...no traffice noise. The ones on the front had a balcony and would have been pleasant had I not been so deprived of sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank missliz13
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel was the more expensive of two hotels we used in Cuenca. And, you definitely got more for your money. The issue is always whether or not the extras you got are worth the extra money.

First off, the hotel is in El Centro. For most people, they would like this location, because there are lots of interesting building, parks, churches, restaurants, etc. It's a bit like a very small Manhatten with a lot more pollution on the streets.

The hotel itself is very charming. There are three floors with the rooms surround a central dining area. The desk staff and wait staff (often the same person) spoke very good to excellent English and were both friendly and helpful. We especially appreciate Carla and Fernando.

The bed was excellent. Normally, even at home where I have a quite expensive mattress, I wake up with some aches. That didn't happen on their bed!

The bathroom was large and had a very unique shower facility. There was one very large shower head, then there was a hand held spray, and finally, there were six small shower heads mounted vertically that you could use to have water come at you horizontally. The toilets accepted toilet paper.

The hotel had great Wi-Fi. It did got out twice while we were there, but they promptly reset the router. They also had Direct TV. Most times, it worked well. However, even a slight degree of rain seemed to put it out of commission. So, don't depend on being able to view a given program. We wanted to watch the second US Presidential Debate, but couldn't on the TV. Fortunately, the Wi-Fi mostly allowed us to stream the debate with a few slight interruptions.

The food was wonderful (see the review for California Restaurant).

The negative mostly had to do with noise. The interior of the hotel had its own level of noise since it was open for three floors with a restaurant on the bottom floor along with the reception desk. Outside, there were two very busy streets with a lot of traffic. Again, there was little soundproofing, so if noise bothers you, this might not be the hotel for you. Ear plugs helped me get by with little problem

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 7Continentsymas
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My friend and I recently stayed at Los Balcones in Cuenca Ecuador. We were treated like family who had come in for a visit. The staff could not have been more friendly, helpful and kind. The rooms are large with balconies overlooking the historic center. The restaurant served fabulous food and the included breakfasts were the best I have had in a very long time. I recommend this hotel with the highest rating possible. The rates are remarkable for the value received. You will fall in love with the staff and the hotel as we did.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maryann D
Reviewed October 21, 2012

As a single traveler, I stayed at this boutque hotel in the heart of Cuenca earlier this month for almost a week. The family who operated the place has done some major renovations to it. The room was very spacious compared to other boutique hotels available in the city- and I have stayed in many of them. The price was very reasonable, there was good Wi-Fi in the room, the food was excellent in the restaurant, and the hotel staff we very accomodating. As a side note, this building used to house California Kitchen, which has now moved down the street, and the owners have started their own restaurant now, and the food was fantastic.The front desk people spoke excellent English and were always ready to assist. The modern showers were hot and had great water pressure. The windows opened up to the street, but were thick enough to keep noise out if you wanted to keep them closed at night time when it got cooler outside. For the money, this is the best hotel in Cuenca I have stayed at, hands down. I will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo