“Great Boutique Property”

“Great Boutique Property”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Bullet Points
Great Location
Great Staff (helpful with everything)
Great Rooms
Great Daily Breakfast
Clean all the time
Home of California Kitchen (one sure dinner option)

Henry, Carla, David, Ely, Segundo, Johnathan and Flor (Staff) know hospitality.
We plan on return again and look forward to seeing our friends again.

2 Thank james w

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Taos, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2012

There are few hotels I remember from all of the amazing travels we have had, but one that will remain in my memory is our stay at Los Balcones. I discovered this hotel and chose them because of the wonderful reviews they received on TA.

From the moment we were picked up at the airport in Cuenca until the moment we left for the airport, every member of the hotel staff treated us like we were family - close family. It was a special experience I will always cherish.

The employees, David, Sagundo, Jonathan, Carla & Henry (the hotel manager) went out of their way to make every effort to make us comfortable and welcome. We would spend time hanging out at the front desk laughing, asking directions, sharing food adventures and daily activities with them. Their english is 'very' good and they were always willing to help us with our feeble attempts at spanish.

In a small 11 room Boutique Hotel we found our little slice of paradise. Our room (#9) was recently completed and was just a beautiful room to be in. Our view of the New Cathedral was breathtaking and I have to say that the room was so tastefully decorated. The shower was magnificent and we loved the charm and quaintness of the hotel.

I know it will always be my 'home away from home' in Cuenca. One memory I will always have that was very special to us was when we checked out. The entire staff that was working that night came out into the street as we loaded the car to head to the airport. They all hugged and kissed us goodbye. I actually felt like I was leaving my family and it was rather sad knowing that I was leaving them.

I would suggest this little gem in the heart of Cuenca to everyone. Oh, it's 2 1/2 blks from the market, very close to Parque Calderon, and within walking distance of Calle Larga and even the Paja Toquilla Hat Factory. It's perfectly located!

3 Thank Robin J
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2012

My wife & I stayed at the Hotel Los Balcones in Cuenca for 3 weeks...great room with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, living room & dining room ...all for under $100 per night, including breakfast.
Truly run by terrific Ecuadorians...Janette & her son Henry are the owners; David, Carla, Segundo & Ely are the key staff people who will bend over backwards to do anything they can to help you.
The hotel is only a 4 block walk to Place Calderon & the beautiful Cathedral.
They are presently building their own restaraunt on site &, in another couple of weeks will be offerring a full-service restaraunt 7 days a week.
We are moving to Cuenca in mid-July & enjoyed our stay at Hotel Los Balcones so much,that we have rented an apartment that's available in an annex right beside the hotel.

If you want a wonderful place to stay that's owned & operated by incredibly friendly, warm, & caring Ecuadorians,do yourself a favor & stay at the Hotel Los Balcones in Cuneca,

Mike,
Penticton,Canada.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank gemullan
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed May 16, 2012

For the price, we were very happy. Location is excellent. The rooms are tastefully decorated and have good amenities- safe, fridge, WIFI, TV, etc. Loved the chocolates for turn-down service on the first night, but there weren't any the second night. The restaurant that operates part of the week there (California Kitchen) serves amazing breakfasts and other meals.
However, I also struggled from lack of sleep. During the night it was fine but in the morning and at any other time during the day, I couldn't stay asleep or take a nap. I could perfectly hear the conversation of people downstairs in the restaurant. In the morning I could also perfectly hear all the cleaning people. That is my only complaint. I would still come here again for the charm and price.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My husband and I absolutely enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff treated us like family members and went above and beyond the call of duty to assist us in making our stay memorable. Our room was always very clean and they made sure that we never missed breakfast each morning. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cuenca.

Peru
Reviewed May 13, 2012

First let me say this hotel is BEAUTIFUL, amazing, and the staff are truly marvelous. I love the hotel! However, when staying at a hotel the most important thing I look for is the quality of my time and how good I can sleep. There are two major drawbacks to this hotel. The first is that breakfast is only served until 9am--I never get up by 9 on vacation! (however, I did set my alarm and do it, and the breakfast was fantastic--but I was tired all day afterward). The second is that because the hotel is an old house, the walls are paper thin and the floorboards creek like crazy. I could hear every conversation of my neighbors (and I'm sure they could here mine--as well as my husbands flatulance!) Also, breakfast prep starts early and I woke up at least 5 times each morning while the staff was getting things ready.

Overall, this hotel is marvelous, beautiful, very clean, and lovely. But after two nights here I was so grumpy from lack of quality sleep I wouldn't pay big money to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AmazonTravelers
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My spouse and I stayed at this hotel late April and loved it. The rooms are Spanish colonial style, the staff ( especially David ) goes out of their way to be helpful and informative and the rooms are comfortable with English t.v. options, wifi, a safe in the room and great water pressure and hot water. I especially liked the balcony a little hard to find in Cuenca at this price range. Ecuadorian chocolates on your pillow, and a complimentary glass of red wine in the afternoon, a central location, great breakfast, the whole package. I was unaware that Friday night was Gringo night in the restaurant ( California Kitchen which is separately managed ) including a live band. Restaurant closes by 10 p.m. so noise is not a problem. We had dinner there and met many ex-pats who were very friendly, and even invited us to lunch the next day.

Room Tip: The suite does not have a balcony