“Fantastic Staff and comfortable rooms”

Morenica del Rosario Hotel
Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Cuenca
Guayaquil, Ecuador
“Fantastic Staff and comfortable rooms”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here in a pinch when a reservation at another hotel ran into problems. I am so glad it did. Morenica is a wonderfully comfortable hotel with an exquisitely attentive staff - one of those places where the front staff always greeted me by name when I went in or out. The morning breakfast was good, but the evening tea and coffee was even better and more relaxing. Free Wifi in the rooms, and it is right in the center of town, with everything in easy walking distance.

Room Tip: The wifi i set up at the front of the hotel at the business center, so try to avoid getting a room a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank GuayaquilWriter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We spent four nights in Cuenca and chose this hotel based on the TripAdvisor reviews. We tried to book at some of the higher ranked hotels, but on short notice they were booked up, where as Morenica del Rosaria had rooms. During the time we were there, it didn't seem very busy - I'm not sure why - perhaps the time of year. We had a room on the ground floor with a window into a central atrium. The room was quite adequate for our needs - very clean and comfortable bed. Free wi-fi worked well, breakfast was well presented and plentiful. The front desk staff, were always very helpful, willing to speak pretty good English when our Spanish didn't quite cut it. This hotel is close to everything on a very nice street only about 10 minutes from the airport. I thought the rate was very fair at $75 a night. There is a lovely common area on the second floor and a cute little roof top terrace with good views of the city. I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it.

Room Tip: There was a bit of a humming noise from an adjacent building at times in my room on the ground floor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Tromso, Norway
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This hotel is maybe small, but great in other ways. The staff are very friendly, and always up to help you with whatever you need. Very cozy and you get that special sort of home-feeling. Room and bathroom are good and clean. Location in the historic district of Cuenca is perfect. You can stroll down to the river, or just through the streets. Cuenca is a beautiful city. And Morenica del Rosario adds to that impression. I would definetly stay here again next time I visit Cuenca.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Ecuador
Reviewed May 20, 2013

A small place with a big heart, great service, friendly staff, just a couple blocks from the main plaza. Breakfast is excellent and the rooms are cozy! good price value ratio.

We visit Cuenca 3 or 4 times a year and always stay at Morenica. Very family friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Terrific service! When it was determined that our vehicle was too tall for the garage that the hotel works with, they found an alternative parking lot for the same price. We appreciate very much that the hotel is pet-friendly. WiFi is strong, the beds are comfortable, and the breakfasts are good. And the location is great. We would stay here if/when we return to Cuenca.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
carlos s, Front Office Manager at Morenica del Rosario Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Estimated guest.

Million thanks for your comments, your opinions help us to continue secretion benefit of our guests. Remember that we hope to visit soon, and Morenica del Rosario Hotel is your home in the city of Cuenca.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Located smack dab near the center of the historical district. Fronted by Iglesia Santo Domingo on the major Gran Colombia. Parque Abdon Calderon and the gorgeous (I found the exterior to be more stunning) Iglesia Cathedral de la Immaculate Conception is just a block around the corner. Banks & ATM close by. Lots of shopping options (if that's your thing). This is a walker's city, but taxi can be had very cheaply $1 to $2.50 to most locations (ask the locals what the fare should be).

Truth be told... I had other hotels on my radar - but I wasn't aware of the 6 day long Carnival (it is not a Mardi Gras type) fest the week of February 8 to 12 - which left fewer options. (And fewer banks, casa de cambio, shopping, restaurants -- what's open during the day closed early - especially the restaurants.)

Nonetheless - I found the hotel in excellent condition and a great reasonable choice. It was obvious it had undergone extensive renovation. Nice touches are noted throughout. And check out the top floor mirador (patio). Beautiful views of church steeples and domes.

Be forewarned -- there is no elevator as is usual in older historical facilities. My room #307 is very good. but you'll need blindfolds as the only natural lighting into the room comes via a window facing the hallway. Room comes with bathrobe and great water pressure. Also has a smoke detector (a first I've seen) which I appreciate. Room safe and hair-dryer provided. In-room stocked mini-bar and mini fridge. Room is refreshed every day even if I don't need it. [I also came back after a side trip to stay one night #101 -- two double bed but no nightstand lamp. I think most of us like our nightstand lamp.]

WiFi signals are excellent and a tastefully adorned sitting room and computer center. Onsite restaurant for included bueno desayuno (good breakfast) and other optional meals. Overall a well run and warm place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Turtles_Dragonfles
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments, your suggestions and feedback help us to keep fighting in our quality and service. We hope soon to have the joy of having you again for our hotel in the city of Cuenca, remember that you are waiting with open arms. thanks
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am simply writing about the restaurant in this hotel - it has one of the best Almuerzos (lunch) over all. I have lived in Cuenca long enough to have tried a wide variety of this type (all inclusive) of lunch and have found that every time I return to this cozy spot, the soup is the best I have had in Cuenca, the options are always interesting and the service is fast, friendly and unfailing. The cost is a little more than many lunches available in this town but for a real heart-warming lunch, this is where I go.

I have been taken on a tour of the hotel and found it quaint, cozy and spotless. The man at the reception is happy to answer all my questions and I would recommend this hotel to many of my friends who come to town. Like most hotels in Cuenca, the best rooms are in the back of the hotel and this is not to be considered a accessible location.

For location, service and cleanliness this is a great option.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family