“Restaurant is Real Find”

Morenica del Rosario Hotel
Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Cuenca
Toronto, Canada
“Restaurant is Real Find”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am simply writing about the restaurant in this hotel - it has one of the best Almuerzos (lunch) over all. I have lived in Cuenca long enough to have tried a wide variety of this type (all inclusive) of lunch and have found that every time I return to this cozy spot, the soup is the best I have had in Cuenca, the options are always interesting and the service is fast, friendly and unfailing. The cost is a little more than many lunches available in this town but for a real heart-warming lunch, this is where I go.

I have been taken on a tour of the hotel and found it quaint, cozy and spotless. The man at the reception is happy to answer all my questions and I would recommend this hotel to many of my friends who come to town. Like most hotels in Cuenca, the best rooms are in the back of the hotel and this is not to be considered a accessible location.

For location, service and cleanliness this is a great option.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I chose this place partly from its high review rating. What a huge disappointment! I had a small dark ground floor room with a tiny window and almost no space other than a large bed. A tiny bathroom (sitting on the toilet with knees against the wall!). The breakfast was good, and the front desk guy was outstanding - letting me cancel my 4 day booking after one night. I moved across the road to the San Andres hotel - $10 a night less and a large bright spacious room with writing desk and good bathroom.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - go across the road tothe San Andres hotel and save $10 a night!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TravellingAussie1
Kfar-Saba Israel
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at Morenica del Rosario hotel for 3 nights. TOP location- at the center of this lovely and well preserved charming colonial city. Not to be missed.
Very welcoming and friendly hotel, Tip-Top clean. Nice breakfast; very friendly and helpful team. who needs more?
There is parking garage right at the corner, not cheap but convinient. (I advice you to rent a car if you plan to travel arround; Ecuador is safe and comfort for self driving - although the fog at nights is heavy).
The intrenet search brought us to the Morenica del Rosario - We were very happy that we took it as a base for our stayin the area.
...And... if you ready and fit for beautiful short (4-6 hours, depents which trail you choose) trekking - do not miss a visit to the CAJAS National reserve - about 40 min. driving. Take a coat - it is cold up there 4200 m. Worse every minute.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank noa49
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I went to Cuenca for a 8 day Spanish learning/ touring vacation and was recommended this hotel by my Spanish instructor since it is in her neighborhood. I looked on tripadvisor and saw that it ranked number 9 in Cuenca, based on that I made my reservation.

The pros are that hotel is in a pretty good location around 2 blocks from Plaza Calderon, and offers a decent breakfast and has strong wifi, the showers had nice hot water and strong pressure and the towels were clean and plentiful.

Otherwise it is more of a budget traveler hotel, I was located on the 3rd floor, and there is no elevator, not really a big deal, but Cuenca is located around 9000 ft above sea level so its not that much fun to climb every time you want to go to your room. The room that I stayed in was tiny, not small, tiny, as was the bathroom. Another major problem for me was that the "window" in the room is a window that opens into the hallway, in other words you cant really open your window if you want to get some fresh air or just air out your room. Another problem is you can pretty much here everything that goes on in the hotel since the hall facing windows do not really protect your from noise.

The hotel is adorned in art and small pieces of local culture throughout, and is clean and decent, but I would not stay here next time I visit Cuenca.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sircaralot
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 4, 2012

what a wonderful hotel, it's lovely to know that I met in a large part of the culture of a city, in addition to the great care they gave us all the staff to my family, my room was the top floor, a wonderful city view the room very comfortable and breakfast very good. indeed a highly recommended place for my safe return and I will be back at your hotel. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This was my first stay at this hostal and what a lucky selection I made. First, this is a well appointed property in a good location. The rooms are spacious enough for a stay of at least 10 days and everything is extremely clean and well cared for. The breakfast each morning was hardy and fresh.

The staff will do anything for you and act as if you are long lost friends when you return at the end of the day. In my case, I had to receive a call from a foreign government concerning my children in the middle of the night and the call came through promptly, for which I am eternally grateful.

I have stayed in other hostals in the historical center of Cuenca but none I have enjoyed as much. You won't go wrong staying here and the rates are very reasonable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DustyRelique
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I had a one night only stay in this excellent little hotel while passing through Cuenca. I only wish I had more time to enjoy the ambience and amenity of Merenica del Rosario.

My room was comfortable, clean and very well presented with attractive decor that feels old worldly while still employing modern facilities.

Hotel staff were attentive and helpful and the breakfast service had variety and was tasty.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a centrally located stop from which to explore this beautiful city... next time I will stay longer.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo