“Lovely Hostel for $8 a Night”

Hostal Villa Del Rosario
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Cuenca
Michigan
“Lovely Hostel for $8 a Night”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

There are so many hostels in Cuenca. How do you choose? If you are looking for an Ecuadorian owned, funky, and unique hostel then this might be the place for you. As past reviews said, the showers are temperamental, but manageable. You are given a towel to use, which is luxury after using a pac-towel for months. There is a kitchen to use, you can get breakfast for $2.50, there are some lovely sitting areas to relax in, and a beautiful garden that attracts hummingbirds. The hostel is quiet, so if you want a lively social scene, maybe it's not the right place. That being said, I did meet some wonderful people here. The bed in my room was pretty comfortable, the sheets smelled nice and clean, but, unfortunately, the pillow was a rock. My only complaint!

Room Tip: I was in the tiny single room upstairs. I loved it. Good only for solo travelers though.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank soibhan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ambato, Ecuador
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a wonderfully quiet place in the centre of town, with internet, kitchen and lounge. Everything was clean and the staff were extremely friendly. On both nights they went out of their way to make me feel at home and wished me a comfortable stay, even giving me my own key so that I could come and go as I pleased.
Oh, and unlike many place I've stayed in, (in Ecuador) they actually do change your sheets, which is a big plus if sleeping on dirty sheets is something that bothers you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank leracquet
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the hostel for nearly one month.
The hostel is very tranquil and has a lovely garden inside. It's in a very comfortable place in the town center, close distance to anything you need. The price is fine for what you get.
There is good wifi and hot water all the time.
I recommend on this place.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank LiorFaeyrman
Moscow
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hostel was recommended to me by a fellow traveler. Cause they have nice and cheap rooms (s/d 9/10$) with shared bathroom.
The hostel is very close to center (3 blocks) and 20-25 minute walk from the bus terminal. Rooms are clean. Beds are comfy. Managing the shower for me was difficult cause water was changing frequently from supercold to superhot. Besides there were a lot of hairs in the drain all the time. But they have 3 showers and toilets so you never feel shortage of them. Some rooms have very transparent curtains so when the light in the room is on, everything’s visible. There is not so much noise around. But try not to choose the room under the second floor. Wooden floors could be very loud. And the windows are trembling when someone on the second floor is walking.
They have a breakfast for extra 2 bucks, also they have a small but good kitchen.
Dolores and her husband are very friendly and helpful. They live nextdoor so if you need something just ring the bell on the wall with hostel’s name.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank InaFolam
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We booked a triple room for 2 nights on hostelbookers. We arrived late at night and a cute old man let us in and showed us to our room. It was basic but clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small but had hot water in the shower. There was a kitchen but it looked like it was furnished in the 1800s. Within walking distance to all of the sights and restaurants. The cute little man spoke to us several times a day and although our Spanish was limited I think he was being helpful! Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nixxypies
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hostel has been one of the best I've stayed in during my 3 months in ecuador. The staff have been welcoming and more than accomodating. I paid $9 per night for a good size room right on the downstairs patio. One of the nights I told Dolores that I wanted to find somewhere to get soup for dinner. She got her coat and took me to a restaurant and ordered for me. Despite the fact she didn't speak English she sat with me while I ate my meal and then walked me back to my room. You don't find service like that many places. I'm not sure what other guests that have left negative statements expect for such low priced accomodation.. For me it was above and beyond. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a good location and a friendly environment.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Sarahvhartle
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We came in July for 2 nights, but could barely stand it for an hour when we tried to nap. The room was cold, damp, and had dirty sheets. It was dark and dirty. We paid upfront and asked to be reimbursed for only 1 of the 2 nights, but Dolores, the "manager', lied to us and said our money was already taken by the owner and she could not reimburse us "on principal". Really? It was foul and we felt like we were getting sick just being in there for an hour trying to sleep. This place is creepy and the staff were weird and unfriendly. It's dirty and totally disappointing. Don't stay here!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends