“Sandy of Apullacta”

and up
3-Day Inca Trail to Ingapirca from Cuenca
Ranked #5 of 24 Tours in Cuenca
More attraction details
Owner description: We feature the best hotel arrangements in all of Ecuador, as well as tourism services in the Amazon Rainforest, Ecuadorian coast, and Galapagos Islands. We offer a variety of both single and multi-day trips and visits. We provide assistance at both national and international airports (in various languages): check-in, boarding passes and luggage checks. In cases in which luggage does not arrive on time, we take charge of the logistics (with the consent of the passenger) so that their luggage gets to their hotel or to the next stop on their journey. We book and purchase national and international flights. We offer tourist transport services (buses, vans and cars). We offer 2 types of tours: Group tours, for those who travel alone and/or prefer to be part of a group while visiting their destination(s) of interest, with an established itinerary and specified days for travel. Private tours, ideal for those who desire an exclusive experience. We design the tours according to the needs and interests of each client, after a meticulous analysis of their requirements that ensures their ultimate satisfaction.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Sandy provides excellent, careful service and we've used her for several trips in Ecuador and abroad. If a plane should change it's schedule, Sandy is right on top of it, notifying us by email. She speaks English. When Sandy handles our arrangements, we relax.

Expediciones Ap... E, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Expediciones Apullacta, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

We are really glad you had a wonderful time in Ecuador and we hope you can come back soon.
We are thankful to think about us for your trips to Ecuador.
Your comments are really important for us because it help us to improve ourselves every day and be the best for you.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

we used Sandy Bravo for everything from flights to expeditions to horseback riding tours. Very knowledgeable, great attitude. Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I handled my tours and all my travel around Cuenca through Expediciones Apullacta. They have a very thorough staff and excellent guides. Do not miss the horse ride through the Andes with Francisco, he has a wonderful ranchero and great knowledge of the trails. The favorite tour was to Saraguro. The whole community treated me like a VIP. What a treat to see this wonderful countryside. Maria and the rest of the staff handled all my reservations across the internet as i was in Africa at the time i was planning the trip. 5 star plus service.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Full disclosure, I have enjoyed every guided walking tour I have ever taken, and will take tours wherever they fit into my budget. I am probably more easily impressed than most people.

That said, Apullacta exceeded my expectations and put together two very good tours of the relatively modest-sized Inca site Ingapirca (the largest in Ecuador) and the misty and beautiful Cajas National Park (June 2012). Both times I joined a group tour, and both tours were led by the young and enthusiastic Patty. The tours were roughly day trips that included 2-3 hours of driving and 2-3 hours of walking, as well as EXCELLENT lunches in well decorated restaurants (the restaurant outside of Cajas was basically a well-furnished greenhouse built into a mountain).

While it is near impossible to not enjoy Ingapirca or Cajas National Park, even without a guide, Patty brought a personal touch to both sites that would be absent if you did either on your own. My group was relatively small on both tours, and Patty effortlessly moved from person to person answering individual questions about Incan history, bird species, and plant life. Apparently part of a tour guide’s training is learning bird calls, because Patty had a crazy ability to name and point out birds before they even appeared. I think the thing that impressed me the most though was that Patty and the drivers provided by Apullacta really made you feel at home. There was never that tour guide/tourist divide that I frequently find. It was very fun and casual, and you could tell that Patty was very passionate about Ingapirca, Cajas, Ecuador, and meeting people from abroad. Everyone in the group were friends by the end.

Two other things that I should mention. First, I am told that tour length and maybe quality can vary depending on the age, fitness, and interests of those in your group, especially in Cajas, so plan accordingly. My Cajas tour was shorter than usual because it was a little rainy and a couple of the other people on the tour were out of shape. It is a good thing that Patty paced the tour based on how far the least fit could enjoyably walk, but I would have enjoyed spending a little more time at the park.

Second, the price is a little steep if you are traveling on a budget, although both tours are well-worth it in my opinion. You can visit Ingapirca easily and cheaply on your own if you are willing to skip the interesting site by site commentary (blasphemy!), but Cajas is another matter. There are heavy restrictions on where you can walk there without a tour guide, and while there are multiple paths, they are split up and it is a hassle to travel by car from one to another (or so I was told by a traveler at my hotel). Plus, don’t you want to know what you’re seeing? I really enjoyed these tours.

1  Thank Ted G

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Apullacta is a great company to go with. Sandy Bravo was very friendly and willing to help me explore all options to chose the excursion that best fit my desires while in Cuenca on vacation. In addition, the costs were very reasonable and were less than other other companies I researched. On my initial visit Sandy provided me all the information I requested and have me take home sheets so that I could discuss the expedition with my friends later that evening. There was no pressure at all and when I returned the following day to make my reservations, everything was smooth and easy.

The actual expedition to Ingapirca was very enjoyable. The guide, Juan, pointed out points of interest along the way to Ingapirca and we even stopped at a few spots to both while driving to Ingapirca and when we returned. The included lunch was first rate and not a nasty box lunch like I've heard some other tour operators provide.

When you go to Apullacta, ask for Sandy, and you won't be disappointed.