“Great Tour Agency for Ingapirca and Cajas”

Expediciones Apullacta
Book In Advance
More Info
$519.00*
and up
3-Day Inca Trail to Ingapirca from Cuenca
More attraction details
Owner description: We feature the best hotel arrangements in all of Ecuador, as well as tourism services in the Amazon Rainforest, Ecuadorian coast, and Galapagos Islands. We offer a variety of both single and multi-day trips and visits. We provide assistance at both national and international airports (in various languages): check-in, boarding passes and luggage checks. In cases in which luggage does not arrive on time, we take charge of the logistics (with the consent of the passenger) so that their luggage gets to their hotel or to the next stop on their journey. We book and purchase national and international flights. We offer tourist transport services (buses, vans and cars). We offer 2 types of tours: Group tours, for those who travel alone and/or prefer to be part of a group while visiting their destination(s) of interest, with an established itinerary and specified days for travel. Private tours, ideal for those who desire an exclusive experience. We design the tours according to the needs and interests of each client, after a meticulous analysis of their requirements that ensures their ultimate satisfaction.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Tour Agency for Ingapirca and Cajas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Full disclosure, I have enjoyed every guided walking tour I have ever taken, and will take tours wherever they fit into my budget. I am probably more easily impressed than most people.

That said, Apullacta exceeded my expectations and put together two very good tours of the relatively modest-sized Inca site Ingapirca (the largest in Ecuador) and the misty and beautiful Cajas National Park (June 2012). Both times I joined a group tour, and both tours were led by the young and enthusiastic Patty. The tours were roughly day trips that included 2-3 hours of driving and 2-3 hours of walking, as well as EXCELLENT lunches in well decorated restaurants (the restaurant outside of Cajas was basically a well-furnished greenhouse built into a mountain).

While it is near impossible to not enjoy Ingapirca or Cajas National Park, even without a guide, Patty brought a personal touch to both sites that would be absent if you did either on your own. My group was relatively small on both tours, and Patty effortlessly moved from person to person answering individual questions about Incan history, bird species, and plant life. Apparently part of a tour guide’s training is learning bird calls, because Patty had a crazy ability to name and point out birds before they even appeared. I think the thing that impressed me the most though was that Patty and the drivers provided by Apullacta really made you feel at home. There was never that tour guide/tourist divide that I frequently find. It was very fun and casual, and you could tell that Patty was very passionate about Ingapirca, Cajas, Ecuador, and meeting people from abroad. Everyone in the group were friends by the end.

Two other things that I should mention. First, I am told that tour length and maybe quality can vary depending on the age, fitness, and interests of those in your group, especially in Cajas, so plan accordingly. My Cajas tour was shorter than usual because it was a little rainy and a couple of the other people on the tour were out of shape. It is a good thing that Patty paced the tour based on how far the least fit could enjoyably walk, but I would have enjoyed spending a little more time at the park.

Second, the price is a little steep if you are traveling on a budget, although both tours are well-worth it in my opinion. You can visit Ingapirca easily and cheaply on your own if you are willing to skip the interesting site by site commentary (blasphemy!), but Cajas is another matter. There are heavy restrictions on where you can walk there without a tour guide, and while there are multiple paths, they are split up and it is a hassle to travel by car from one to another (or so I was told by a traveler at my hotel). Plus, don’t you want to know what you’re seeing? I really enjoyed these tours.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Ted G
Expediciones Ap... E, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Expediciones Apullacta, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
We are really glad you had a wonderful time in Ecuador and we hope you can come back soon.
We are thankful to think about us for your trips to Ecuador.
Your comments are really important for us because it help us to improve ourselves every day and be the best for you.

Shalimar, FL
“Great Cuenca Expedition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Apullacta is a great company to go with. Sandy Bravo was very friendly and willing to help me explore all options to chose the excursion that best fit my desires while in Cuenca on vacation. In addition, the costs were very reasonable and were less than other other companies I researched. On my initial visit Sandy provided me all the information I requested and have me take home sheets so that I could discuss the expedition with my friends later that evening. There was no pressure at all and when I returned the following day to make my reservations, everything was smooth and easy.

The actual expedition to Ingapirca was very enjoyable. The guide, Juan, pointed out points of interest along the way to Ingapirca and we even stopped at a few spots to both while driving to Ingapirca and when we returned. The included lunch was first rate and not a nasty box lunch like I've heard some other tour operators provide.

When you go to Apullacta, ask for Sandy, and you won't be disappointed.

Visited June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Galapagos and Ecuador Spring Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

My daughter and I had a wonderful time in Ecuador in March 2012. Sandy Bravo of Apullacta made the arrangements very easy and our adventures were memorable. The tour guides, Wilson and Wilo were great. The accommodations were first rate. We loved exploring Cuenca and hiking in Caja National Park. We learned a lot and fell in love with Ecuador.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank SAN1958
Rochester
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Even back in the U.S........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Yes, even after returning home from two-months in Cuenca Ecuador, I have had e-mails from Sandy asking about our return trip and our life back home. Sandy was our agent the past two years for all our Ecuador and Peru adventures. She arranged day trips to hike the Cajas National Park, to hike under a waterfall, and to visit local entrepreneurs in villages. She arranged a weekend trip to Saraguro, and she arranged week-long trips to the Galapagos and to Machu Picchu. Sandy kept our budgets in mind while making accommodations, included local ethnic meals, and touched base after every trip for feedback. We spent many hours of time in her office, arranging trip after trip. Each time her entire office welcomed us; her service was exemplary!!

Visited February 2012
We are thankful to think about us in both times for your trips to Ecuador.
Mindo, Ecuador
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Outstanding Personal Service, Knowledge and Relationships”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

Plainly put, Apullacta is an outstanding travel agency. We used their services to arrange a cruise to Galapagos in January, discuss options for a 'off the beaten path' trip to Southern Ecuador as well as book plane tickets. After discussing our needs and desires for the Galapagos trip they were able to quickly come up with many options and I received a professional, detailed package via email the next day with many options. This is in contrast with my experience at other agencies as it took much longer to get very limited options. They have been in business over 20 years and their contacts and relationships with others in the travel business in Ecuador was evident from the moment I sat down. They immediately got on the phone and we able to present multiple including a cruise that we eventually booked on the Santa Cruz ship in the Galapagos at a heavy discount. The Santa Cruz was great, the ship was immaculate and the crew was awesome! We also worked on a "off the beaten track" adventure in Southern Ecuador to the Zamora/Podocarpus area as well as the Nangaritza River. This is not an area that has standard tours or is even visited that often by tourists. We had a desire to do something different and so the owner, Carlos Vintimilla sat down with his rolodex and with the help of Sandy translating we roughed out options for accommodation and a few activities which in the end worked out well. This is something that they received no compensation for, they just went above and beyond to help us arrange a trip. I have also called Sandy on numerous occasions while traveling to ask for suggestions on accommodations as well as arrange a van service. She was very attentive, professional, accessible and very willing to help. It is apparent that Apullacta understands the value of customer service and long term relationships. Sandy Bravo speaks great English and seems to be always available by cell as she arranged our van service in the off hours. We also worked with Maria Cisne who speaks pretty good English and is extremely conscientious. I highly recommend Apullacta to those who are looking for a travel agency in Cuenca!

Visited February 2012
Expediciones Ap... E, Public Relations Manager at Expediciones Apullacta, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We are really glad you had a wonderful time in Galapagos.
We are thankful that you think about us for your trips in Ecuador.