“AMAZING WHITE GLOVE SERVICE WHERE THEY TREAT YOU LIKE A KING AND QUEEN”

Restaurante El Jardin
Ranked #14 of 596 Restaurants in Cuenca
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2013

You can certainly tell that the owners of this fine hotel/restaurant are well traveled.

We order the 3 course dinner for 17.50 which includes a choice of 3 appetizers, 3 entrees, and 3 deserts and while this is normally more what we spend for dinner, find the choices definitely worth the price.

Normally we order the salmon (and request that it not be cooked too much). It can be served with a baked potato which is very rare in Ecuador. and very pretty mixture of vegetables.
The maricuya cheesecake (passionfruit) and mora cheesecake and warm chocolate volcan with delicious ice cream which are all exquisite deserts (if you can decide which one to choose), and your meal is topped off with a complimentary chocolate from the finest Ecuadorian chocolate shop.

Every table has an orchid on it, and the candles which are lit every nite, all around the restaurant add to the charm of this beautiful place which has a stunning view of Turi which is across the valley.

We are amazed, that more of the locals have not discovered this gorgeous world class restaurant, at Ecuadorian prices!!

Last year the Mother/Son Team who operate this lovely Victoria Hotel / El Jardin Restaurant spent 2 months in France and Europe. They definitely know excellent quality and have a lot of style!!

Reviewed December 7, 2013

The setting is very nice, no question. And that's essentially what you are paying for - not the food. This is true of just about all the more costly restaurants in Cuenca. The food is okay but nothing special. As always in Ecuador the meat can be tough and you are much more likely to have a good meal if you stick to local shrimp and sea bass dishes. One very disappointing event - and yes, you could say this was partly my fault but I was entertaining friends and didn't want to sit there examining the bill closely - it was only much later that we realized we had been charged $45 for a wine that was listed as $25. And we had two bottles so this added quite a lot to the final cost. That said, even the inflated price meant the wine was only $90 out of the final $200 price tag. This was for three appetizers and four main courses, no desserts. Given the total cost and the doubt over the wine, I could not recommend this restaurant as wholeheartedly as some reviewers do.

1  Thank Dave T
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I went to El Jardin for lunch.The restaurant overlooks Cuenca from the old town (El Centro). We loved the atmosphere. I had the lamb chops and my wife had grilled salmon. Both meals were perfectly cooked. Although it is expensive by Cuenca (and US) standards ($60 with drinks), it was worth it. I will save El Jardin for a special occasion and go at night, when the view of the city will add to the ambience.

1  Thank Rex A
Reviewed July 25, 2013

In the constant pursuit of the latest new dining finds in Cuenca, we shouldn't forget the tested, tried and true spots long ago identified as excellent! El Jardin offers not only a lovely physical setting, hotel style service and a broad selection of food and drink - It performs, and at a fair price!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Had dinner. Food was very good, as others have said. However, we went to the bar after dinner. Looked at the bar menu and ordered. Had to chase down the bartender for a 2nd drink. Later when the check was brought, the prices were about 25% higher than represented in the menu. At first I thought it was tax, etc. Then I realized they had overcharged me for the drinks themselves. I showed it to the bartender and another server. They said the menu was old and incorrect. I asked to pay the amount stated in the menu. They said no, and even checked with a manager upstairs. I assured them I would not return as there are many excellent restaurants and bars in Cuenca, and I found many of them with as good or better food and better prices.