“Beautiful Presentation”

Cuisines: Italian, Ecuadorean, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2019

The Casa Alonso is located in the beautiful restored Hotel Mansion Alcazar. It is also named after the gardener who we were fortunate to meet as he still works there tending his garden daily. And it is truely beautiful. The presentation of the dishes are art in themselves. The results are very good, especially the stone crab salad wrapped in thin slices of fresh cucumber. The restaurant appeared to be understaffed resulting in slow service. Heating on a cold night is in wood/charcoal burning stoves, cozy but often smoky.

Reviewed February 28, 2019

I ate breakfast here every morning during my three night stay. It was delicious, a combination of cereals, fruits and other dishes from the buffet and cooked items ordered direct. The service was excellent. I had one dinner here which was high standard and beautifully presented.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed February 23, 2019 via mobile

Nice and cozy restaurant located inside a hotel.
To begin with, VERY BAD SERVICE. Despite having few clients at that time, the attention of their staff leaves much to be desired.
The drink service was too slow, at 15, 20 minutes, they brought the first drink; after five minutes to see that they did not bring my friend's, I reminded them that they had not served it. THEY DID NOT APOLOGIZE (they never did it despite multiple errors in service) and ten minutes later, they brought the wine.
The bred were served and again, the butter is forgotten. After ten minutes, we had to ask for it, they brought it, again without apology.
Dinner, I ordered rack of lamb, which despite having good flavor I must admit and for that reason, I ate them, they were hard.
My partner's prawns were good.
In conclusion, a bad experience and they must work a lot in service

Reviewed February 15, 2019 via mobile

Relaxing and beautiful. In the middle of the city but you felt like you were alone at a resort. Service was impeccable.

Reviewed January 24, 2019

We had the pleasure of partaking of Christmas dinner at Casa Alonso restaurant in the El Mansion Alcazar hotel.
The experience was beyond our hopes and expectations. Honestly, one of the top ten dinners we've had anywhere in the world; maybe even the top five. For us, the dining experience is at least of equal importance to the food itself, although obviously good service, beautiful presentation and gorgeous surroundings can't make up for bad food. Casa Alonso delivered on all fronts.
The hotel itself is a wonderfully preserved patrimonial building with a gorgeous lounge open to the ceiling. A stone fountain adorns the centre, with the beautiful roses of Ecuador in bouquets around the edge.
Our table was set with pewter charger plates, in a little alcove in the window. We enjoyed the twinkling lights out in the garden while our very attentive wait staff filled our water glasses from a pitcher infused with limes, brought us menus and the pre-dinner cocktail included in our set Christmas dinner. We each also had the Mansion Alcazar cocktail. We both like sweet, fruity alcoholic drinks and this was perfect as far as were were concerned.
The waiter arrived with tiny dinner rolls, still warm, and herbed soft butter. Next came an amuse bouche, thinly sliced corvina much like ceviche. I had the shrimp thermidor appetizers. My husband had the mushroom croquettes. Mushrooms are not something he generally eats, but he ate every bite of this.
Next, we were presented with a tiny scoop of sorbet on a paper thin pastry leaf, to clear our palates before the main course.
I chose the turkey for my entree and my husband had the steak. The staff appeared with our 'mains' plates covered by serving domes sporting angels with open hymn books (or something). Absolutely wonderful touch on Christmas Day.
The covers were lifted to reveal plates presented as beautiful works of art. A flower graced the top. The food tasted very bit as good as it looked. The turkey was tender and moist. My husband’s steak was perfectly prepared as well. All the vegetables were crisp. My potatoes were done with a hint of onion, and seemed to have been riced, then fried a bit then compiled into some kind of - I’m going to say casserole. We were both happy that though the portions were generous, they were not overwhelmingly huge.
Dessert was an array of three items: Chinese plum confit, fig ice cream with chili coulis and a chocolate mocha quenelle, arranged to look like a pine comb.
The bill was $129 U.S. The three house specialty cocktails accounted for $32 of that. Without our indulgence in expensive cocktails, we would have paid about $135 for this wonderful dining experience.

Date of visit: December 2018