“The vibe of La Cigale is amazing!”
Review of La Cigale

La Cigale
Ranked #7 of 77 Cuenca B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I lived for around 5 months in Ecuador, close to Cuenca. I must have spend some 20 nights in this cosy hostel over this period. It's just one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in, no question.

The staff is really friendly and hospitable and the vide is very relaxed, but never the less professional. The private rooms are clean comfortable and quite beautiful.The dorm is somewhat less value for money, but hey, just stay in one of the private rooms instead.

In the evening the cheap happy hour deals make sure that things get lively. However, you don't notice anything of the party-noise when your at your room.

I came to get to know most of the popular Cuencan Hostels and I can soundly state that this one is the very best.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jan D

Reviewed April 2, 2012

I was so happy when I spent an evening at La Cigale with a friend and we saw this sign that said: Cheescake and Coffee for 2.85$ every day from 2-5pm. We wanted to eat cheesecake the following day. When we left that evening they charged me 40 cents more for my drink - I didn't complain, thought that it was due to a very unclear handwriting at the bill and then a wrong sum-up. Could have happend to me and 40 cents is not much, so I left and we came back the next afternoon. What we got was no cheescake. It was some kind of pudding in a bowl with some strawberries on top. I am used to various ways of cheescake but this was neither a cake nor made of cream cheese or Quark. I was SO disappointed. I told the waiter in a very polite way how sad I was of being served this instead of a real cake and he just told me they always do it like this. Basta. Not even one single tiny word of sorry...it would have been so simple...but because he didn't even say THAT I decided to write about this here. I actually liked the place and you can get nice drinks very cheap, but NEVER order cheese cake there and don't expect the waiters to be nice or understanding. I can not recommend this place...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ana C
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I had a great 4 nights stay here, at this very nice hostel in the old town center of Cuenca.
The rooms were very clean and the staff more than friendly. It's a group of young owners running this place. Also a very good restaurant with good value food.. It can get a bit noisy in some rooms, but they close it at midnight.
After all I definitly recommend to stay there if you are looking for a good value place.

Room Tip: Get one not directly over the restaurant, try the back ones.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vagabondosiciliano
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Easily one of the best hostals I have stayed in. I stayed here for 6 nights in January 2012 in a private room overlooking the restaurant/bar. The room was a bit sparse but for the price ($17 per night) it was more than good enough; cleaned every day and the shower had hot water all the time.

Best thing about this place is the atmosphere...a popular place with locals and gringos alike and the music and food served in the restaurant downstairs was excellent.

Like others have mentioned, whilst the place can be noisy during the day and evening when it comes to lights out at night (around 11:30 - Midnight) the place empties very quickly and becomes silent almost immediately.

All round a cheap and very cheerful to stay whilst in Cuenca.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank criticaljohn_1981
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This hostel was the cleanest I stayed in over my entire 4month trip. The bathroom seemed newly renovated, and had a large hot water shower. I stayed in a 4bed dorm, the room was very spacious and clean (the biggest and cleanest I stayed at), with comfortable, warm beds. The restaurant downstairs served good food at OK prices- and my room price included a big breakfast there. It was a really relaxed hostel, which was what I look for over any loud, noisy, party hostel. I would recommend this place highly!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JemBen
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have been to Cuenca twice over the last 2 years (once for 3 weeks and once for 1 week) and both times I stayed at La Cigale and could not say better things about the staff, service, rooms, etc. It has a great evening vibe for locals and travelers, it isn't the quietest hostel but a great place to meet people, and a beautiful, comfortable place to sleep.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I almost never write these kind of reviews but I love La Cigale so much I couldn't help myself. I came for one night and ended up staying for eight, leaving only because I had to catch a flight. Although I had Spanish class early each morning, the one day I got to enjoy breakfast it was delicious and made the $9 dorm an even better value. I met amazing people, including other guests and the staff who were all awesome. The guys made me feel completely at home, always welcoming me with a smile and a patient ear for me to practice my Spanish. Although the restaurant can be a bit loud, the flip side is you can have a really fun night without ever leaving home. The restaurant is one of the best spots in town for happy hour and keeps the good vibe going all evening. My only hesitation in writing this review is that everyone else will discover La Cigale and it will be full next time I come to Cuenca!

• Stayed: January 2012