“home.”
Review of La Cigale

La Cigale
Ranked #8 of 75 Cuenca B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have been to Cuenca twice over the last 2 years (once for 3 weeks and once for 1 week) and both times I stayed at La Cigale and could not say better things about the staff, service, rooms, etc. It has a great evening vibe for locals and travelers, it isn't the quietest hostel but a great place to meet people, and a beautiful, comfortable place to sleep.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed February 4, 2012

I almost never write these kind of reviews but I love La Cigale so much I couldn't help myself. I came for one night and ended up staying for eight, leaving only because I had to catch a flight. Although I had Spanish class early each morning, the one day I got to enjoy breakfast it was delicious and made the $9 dorm an even better value. I met amazing people, including other guests and the staff who were all awesome. The guys made me feel completely at home, always welcoming me with a smile and a patient ear for me to practice my Spanish. Although the restaurant can be a bit loud, the flip side is you can have a really fun night without ever leaving home. The restaurant is one of the best spots in town for happy hour and keeps the good vibe going all evening. My only hesitation in writing this review is that everyone else will discover La Cigale and it will be full next time I come to Cuenca!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank tkb518
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Just watch out this, when they say happy hour: 1.50, they mean for each cocktail (the mojito was some rum,less in the second shot,mint, and a cheap seven-up kind) , which makes two cocktails: 3 dollars. I did not have a problem with the price (plenty of bars in Cuenca with the same happy hour charges), I did have a problem with the way it is advertised.The attitude of the staff is the globalised standard "cool"way and look, which actually looks quite cold. And a sad show off for gringos to feel "at home".

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank maren62
Reviewed January 9, 2012

If you come for atmosphere, attention to details, charming design, great food, and very cool music, stay here for sure.
(Although it can get a bit noisy with the restaurant and bar upfront, yet if one knows and comes prepared, that's just what it is. You just deal with it.)

If you have the additional (irrational?) desire to be greeted and treated kindly by the front of the house staff, to receive a sincere smile, to be made feel appreciated to be their guest; be warned. It's not likely going to happen!

I really wanted to LOVE the place, with its beautiful design and decor, it is so very charming, but there was little warmth and human connection. In short, you won't feel like you are actually welcome, more like you are an annoyance. Some of the staff were even outright rude. 1st. day. "Q: How is your coffee con leche? A: Coffee is coffee.." The icing on the cake was the tone and the look that came with the delivery of the comment, and it went down hill from that moment forward.

The one positive exception that must be mentioned: Benicio. A friendly young man, who truly stands out, and seems to understand that every human, stranger, guest or whatever, can be met with a smile, with respect and kindness, not just the members of their "inner circle" or "family"...

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back. Theya re abit quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank mirkobetz
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Beware of the specials that you read on the boards. They have many misleading information and ridiculous fine print. We saw that there were like $3/drink specials and ordered like 20 of them, and when we got the check they said that it wasn't applicable on that particular day. When we pointed to the board they just laughed at us and didn't care to say sorry for the misleading advertising.

On top of that the music in the living room is way too loud and you'll hear it until late at night.

Room Tip: Get the one that is farthest from the living room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Writing this from La Cigale. Been in Cuenca 6 days. Did a little research, talked to a few folks, and finally settled in to La Cigale for a few days after leaving Hostal La Barranca. La Barranca was OK, actually I liked it, BUT...$5 more expensive with "breakfast" included, which was really nothing more than a croissant, a little bit of butter/marmalade, juice, coffee. La Cigale, at $5 cheaper ($16, private room) kicks it out of the park with either eggs done however OR a monster size fruit salad with yogurt/granola, juice, coffee, tea, or hot chocolate, and a roll.

Location is PERFECT. Quiet street, the ENTIRE other side of which is taken up by a church.

Cafe/bar seems to me to be one of the better and more popular ones in town. Mojitos and other drinks @ $1.50 during 5:00 - 8:00 happy hour. Many places not as nice at double the price or more.

Cafe is packed every night with a happy mix of locals and tourists sitting at candlelit tables, great vibe. Want to sleep? I'm in the room closest to the bar/cafe, just past the door that leads to the rooms, to the left. No problem, which is more than I can say for many places around the area. Hey folks, I'm 56 years old, love electronica and still go to raves. But don't be blasting reggaeton while I'm eating/relaxing. Bar/cafe closes every night around 11 or 12 and you can hear a pin drop a few minutes later.

Food is VERY good, and reasonable, although don't expect it to be as low as what you might find on the street. If you've never been to Cuenca before (this is my first time,) the food here is outrageous and the prices are, well...I had lunch at Las Colonias on Calle Larga today. This insane pile of fried rice, beans, eggs, beef, chicken and shrimp AND a bottle of coke. $3.50. SO good (i'm from NY and I've eaten everywhere from Papaya King to Le Bernardin, so trust me.) That was about 2:00 this afternoon. Lunch was so ridiculously grande that I haven't been able to eat anything since. In fact I may never have to eat anything for the rest of my life. Yes, my food bill for the entire day was $3.50! (Left a $0.50 tip.)

I feel so secure here, and the staff is so awesome, that I've hardly bothered to lock my door since I've been here, and still have all my jewelry, my Kindle Fire, my Droid and my camera.

A couple of (very) minor points...the guest computer upstairs has been working intermittently. I'm sure they'll get it fixed...internet cafes everywhere, so just take a few steps in any direction if it's misbehaving. The one down the block to the left on the corner is perpetually packed. Has to be good, but I wouldn't know, never been able to get in there.

My room is 10 feet from the bar/cafe which has consistently sublime wifi, but wifi ranges from fair to poor in my room. When I mentioned this to Diego, he spent 15 minutes physically changing the location of the router. Are you kidding me? I could tell you what staff reaction to that comment might have been at 90% of the places I've stayed, but this a family-friendly article.

Want to splurge one night? Cafe Austria. Wiener Schnitzel. OMG!!! Cafe con leche y ensalada, two lemonades - $14 including 1.50 tip.

I strongly recommend you make a reservation. I came to Cuenca with none and had to wait 3 days to get in here.

Almost forgot...plenty of hot water.

I've been keeping a running record of my tab to compare against theirs. When i checked out? Not one mistake.

Gracias Olivia, Benicio, Rafael, Diego, and anybody I might have missed.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank DanaTeton
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Great location, clean rooms/bathrooms, wifi, (computers to use if you don't have one-super plus to not pay for internet cafe), great food, breakfast included!

Can't beat the price with breakfast - eggs or fruit and granola and it includes juice and coffee or hot chocolate.

Only potential issue is the bar downstairs - can be noisy but doesn't close too late - just put in your earplugs. Great happy hour and the food is awesome!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo