“Good food, good rooms, good people...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Cigale

La Cigale
Ranked #7 of 65 Cuenca B&B and Inns
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Good food, good rooms, good people...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

We only had a chance to stay here one night but we're definitely going back when we pass through Cuenca again. Our room was spacious and clean, the bathroom was big and the shower/hot water worked well, though it drained very slowly. The wifi connection worked on our room but we spent most of our time down at the restaurant/bar.

Breakfast and lunch were great, dinner was ok, good, not great. Skip the humus, its bland... Sandwiches are the way to go. The only down side with dinner was they mucked up our order, served our appetizer after the main courses, and charged us full price for drinks ordered during happy hour. To give them some credit, the restaurant bar is packed at night and the staff seem to be running around trying to attend to everything. They could probably use an extra staff person.

The beds are comfy and we didn't really hear the bar but strangely we heard a tv come on at about 3am and it stayed on, quite loudly all night. I couldn't figure out if it was another backpacker watching a movie on their computer or the night staff but it was a little on the annoying side.

The staff at La Cigale were awesome except for one girl who worked the restaurant, who was not particularly friendly or helpful.

All and all, I highly recommend La Cigale, both the hostel and the restaurant/bar.

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
travelling
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

I stayed here for 3 days in lovely Cuenca. The scene is young and the staff is friendly and local. I got several great recommendations on where to go, and they also helped me with the bus lines. My room was neat and clean, and was just outside of the little courtyard. At night the place fills up a bit, with mostly travellers, so it was a nice place to meet people. Also, the food is great!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

This hotel was super cute and was a great value for the area. The bar is hoping at night which is fun but could also be a problem if you want to go to bed before 11pm. We were located near the back of the hotel though so we had no problems at all with noise.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

I stayed at the hostel for almost a month during a return trip to Ecuador - and it was great in every way! Whether you want to chill out during the day, eat a nice meal, chat to the lovely staff, have a few cervezas, or anything in between, La Cigale is perfect! The atmosphere and cleanliness is also great and the look of it is gorgeous, in a traditional Cuencan building complete with courtyard and comfortable rooms. As i said there was not a single thing I disliked about the hostel, except having to leave several great friends at the end of my stay!
p.s. les quiero mucho, gracias por todo, seguramente voy a regresar algun dia :)
p.p.s. don't be fooled into staying at el Cafecito just a few doors down! La cigale is much better!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

And wonderful breakfast. I stayed in this hostel a couple of night, got friends with the personel and felt at home here.
Good choice.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2010

stayed here with my girlfriend for two nights in December. The prices are reasonable, and the room is decent enough. The beds and pillows are a little hard, but for the money its not too bad.

There is a reception/restaurant/bar/downstairs, which during our stay it was impossible to spend any time in without breathing cigarette smoke. At the end of the first evening, all of our clothes were smelling of it. As backpackers we have a limited amount of clothes anyway, so this was especially annoying. We also had the same problem at breakfast and lunch the next day. Not sure if the staff were smoking too, but we could not seem to get away from it.

I did notice that there are no ashtrays on the tables as standard, but that the staff will hand these out to anyone without the regard for the health and comfort of everyone else. The restaurant serves reasonable backpacker food, its a shame about the air quality - I'm giving it a poor 'cleanliness' rating for that reason.

We are in our 14th month travelling and we have not found a similar situation anywhere else we have been in the world, including South America. There is a 'smoke-free zone' sticker next to the stairs, but it clearly isn't the case.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank themissusandI
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2010

I made a reservation at this place, after having read all those enthusiastic reviews, which I know, quite frankly, suspect to be totally made up by the people who never stayed there.

I had a very long correspondence about my arrival, the room, etc. I was promised a nice room to be waiting for me. However, when I arrived, I was shown a tiny, dark room, with the doors, sort of half closing, next to the bar and with every single noise coming from the outside heard very distinctly. How else, when the doors, sort of french doors without glass, do not close well.

The place looked sort of clean, but since it was dark and there was no good light, who knows. The bathroom did look clean.

I was told, by the same man, Diego, who had repeatedly promised a nice room, in which I was to stay for 10 days, told me that "my" room was given to somebody else and would become available in 2-3 days.

Well, I decided that, if there is no other place, I would spend the night ( of course sleepless) at that place, but no more. I was very lucky to find another place in 10 minutes. Around the corner, there was Villa Flora - a small modern hotel, where a room with shower was $10. It was at the same noisy street, but the hotel itself was quiet and the room very clean. The service was indifferent. Breakfast not included, but IT WAS 1000000000000000 times better than LaCigale

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business